NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone remember catching fish called Lafeyettes?I used to go on a open boat out of the Lindenhurst area in the late 70's and he fished around the Robert Moses bridge for flounders and we used to catch these fish they had a black spot in back of gills and looked like a cross between a porgy and a snapper.I have not seen one caught in over 20+ years anyone remember these fish? Also they wieghed about 3/4 of a pound.

· Registered
66 Posts
------Lafayettes--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**-Used to catch Lafayettes years ago,along with Butterfish,when Snapper Fishing in J.B.Another name for them is 'Spots".Haven"t seen any lately.
Saxatilus

· Registered
66 Posts
------Lafayettes--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**-Used to catch Lafayettes years ago,along with Butterfish,when Snapper Fishing in J.B.Another name for them is 'Spots".Haven"t seen any lately.
Saxatilus

· Registered
3,953 Posts
the old Dotted progie?

30 Years ago we used to catch buckets of them in Jamacia bay and off Canarise pier.
I remeber using a old window screen and dragging the dockside on the pier to catch grass shrimp. Then we would hammer the Blackdotted porgie is what we called them, all day long. I did see last week one caught off delray pier in Fla. last week is that funny or what.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.