NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
959 Posts
BA,
I especially like the look of that cupped end you've fashioned there...I would think an ounce-and-a-half popper cupped like that ought to really stir things up...wonder how it would do in the rocks around Quick's Hole or Cuttyhunk? Only four months to go before we start itching that Cuttyhunk scratch...120 days and counting ;)

Jerry Vovcsko,
East Bridgewater, Ma

· Registered
959 Posts
Well...I'm drooling over that one...I can close my eyes and see at least three places along the Elizabeth Islands where a popper like that ought to really clean house...there's one spot where a moderate rip makes up and forms a kind of triangle out from the shore...whenever it shows, bass are sitting almost in a line along the hypotenuse of that triangle (wonder if they know geometry... :) ) anyhow...you cast a big, noisy popper at an angle into that rip and it's Show Time...closest thing to a Sure Thing I know of in those waters...
Those are some fine creations, BA...I think the Large are sure gonna wanna sample them...

Jerry Vovcsko,
East Bridgewater, Ma

· Registered
988 Posts
Hello BassAssasin,

I saw your response to porgyking, and would like to thank you fo rhelping us beginners. You making some really excellent stuff!! However, two questions remains unclear. What type of wood do we start out with and where do we find flexcoat?

Thanks, Somoan

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Somoan, I'm just getting started at this too so I am no expert, only been at it about a month, I do it when time permits. Good question about the wood. Since I have limited tools at the moment I start out with hardwood dowels. It is real easy to work with, shapes really nice, doesn't splinter and has some weight to it. I think they are Poplar, I believe they also sell maple. Flexcoat is available in any rod building supply store or catalog. I just used it cause I have it around because I build rods. Other guys use 30 minute epoxy and various other things to coat with.

· Registered
10 Posts
Somoan
The flexcoat is one of the best coatings due to it's even flow and clarity. Bassassassin is right the catalogs and websites mostly all carry it I like www.4fishin.com or netcraft but find 4fishin.com to be a little cheaper and fast to ship. THEY ALSO WILL ANSWER QUESTIONS ON THE CONTACT PAGE. Sorry about the caps. ****** capslock. You need to keep the lure turning slowly when the flexcoat is wet. Makes a great topcoat.
Teach

· Registered
988 Posts
Thanks BassAssasin, Thanks Teach!

You guy are helping me to get started and I appreciate that. Have any of you fellas been to the boat show? Noreast has a great booth their, along with Rich from (*************) who also has his own booth. Even if you guys are surf casters, you should check it out their are alot of fishermen around. Lots of seminars on all types of fishing related stuff, building rods, using live snappers for fluke, etc., and great stuff to buy! LIRR is running a good deal too! The price from Babylon (roundtrip), admission to the show, and shuttle bus service to and from PENN Station is only $16. How can anyone pass that up, and they serve beer at the show! I'm going again on the 12th. Hope to see ya there!

somoan

This message was edited by somoan on 1-7-02 @ 8:27 PM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.