NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring is around the corner and our favorite bucketmouth will be back on top of the popularity ladder.

Here in NY we can't fish for bass untill Mid-June. Some other states allow year round bassn, while others have special C&R seasons to augment their regular seasons.

What your feelings about a C&R season during the spawn?

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Where on the Island is a good spot for bass? Haven't done much freshwater - usually give White's Pool a few shots during the winter months. Would like to get into a little more of the freshwater action.

Live in Smithtown area - would hope there's something locally. Blydenber?

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
I opened this can of worms on another Bass site located in NY, I'm not geting myself in trouble again. Where I fish during the spawn, I could care less. I'm gonna fish when I get the chance, and if that means catching fat females loaded with eggs, so be it. I'm not gonna keep them anyhow.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Welcome aboard Crash!
I see you have no aversion to controversy!

The following is the result of my PERSONAL observation.
(The most difficult opinion to argue with)

Southern states have several spawns per year. The spawn is also more drawn out. Here in the North, our spawning season is shorter. Many fishermen fish beds, proclaiming for all to hear that they are targeting Crappies. In areas with high population density (anglers, not fish) there is often a line, waiting their turn at harassing an unfortunate male who built his redd too close to the shoreline. He gets "caught" several times per day, until he finally decides "bleep this" and abandons his redd. The "sportsmen" who were targeting him have suceeded in killing countless fry, by applying their particular cure for cabin fever. This symptom is best observed in NYC.

NYDEC, in their infinite wisdom,. has allowed C&R this year, during the spawn, in Blydenberg Park only, on a "trial basis". Presumably, if there is no ill effect, the program will be expanded in the future. Why bother to go through the charade? Blydenberg has some of the most inaccessible bank frontage of any lake I can think of. There will be no "ill affect" and the program will be expanded. But I believe C&R during the spawn affects Largemouth populations adversely, and have plenty of Scientific study to back my position.

The key to the whole question is population density (of Anglers). C&R on a remote, walk-in Adirondak lake has a different impact than on the lake in Prospect Park. Opening the spawn to C&R fishing would be a DISASTER in region 2, and is not advisable in region 1.

Bunch of crybaby rackhunters is what I see. Those same fish are available AFTER the spawn, and the Males aren't even any lighter! "Crappies" my foot! As far as I'm concerned, bed fishing isn't sport!

Welcome aboard Crash!

Flounder

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
As far as I am concerned, all bass fishing in Metro area should be C&R, and I wouldn't be against a no bait provision either. If nothing else they should reduce limits and increase size requirements. Trout are something different, they are stocked and in most places not self sustaining anyway but bass should be left to grow and breed. As the saying goes, too valuable to be caught just once.

Striper77

·
Registered
353 Posts
IN NYC, C&R IS THE LAW!

The NYC Parks Department has a longstanding policy that you cannot remove a living thing from a park. You also cannot kill in the park. Some people find this surprising, because "The Guide" specifies bag limits. But just because the STATE speed limit is 55 doesn't mean a municipality cannot adapt more stringent requirements, like a 30 MPH speed limit within city limits.

Look at it this way ...you can't go hunting in the zoo, can you? WHY?

Flounder

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeeeeee, I opened a can of worms already huh?

Heres what I think...

You have to go by a case by case senario with this. I've seen some lakes that a person could do serious damage C&R fishing the spawn. BUT I've also seen lakes where no amount of C&R fishing could do damage.

Flounder brings up a good point, by doing a trial C&R season on one lake, its going to be tough to draw any kind of conclusion when it come to different habitats.

It has to be determined how a C&R season will effect each individual habitat. An April 1st to June 15th C&R season on many lakes could be supported, but it would also hurt many others, this has to be done carefully.

Yes NYC freshwater is total C&R, as it should be, the lakes here are very small copaired to northern lakes and see much more fishing pressure then most of the reservoirs!!

Heres my feeling about bait, bass and trout....

Bass are renewable on their own, Trout are stocked in most cases, now I'd like to see it the other way around where the Trout are C&R'd. Thats the only way your going to see big trout, yet the majority of anglers would keep a trout without thinking about it.

Don't even go there with the bait...I'll whip out a study that shows worm fishermen can kill more bass then a bait fisherman real quick. And this study came out of Texas, where they would love to shut down the guides that use bait, just because of misplace ideas like bait fishermen kill all the fish.

I fish bait for bass, I don't keep bass, I don't kill any either. With circle hooks there is NO reason to gut hook a fish.

·
Registered
404 Posts
wader,

blydenberg lake has a well deserved reputation as a big bass lake. it would be a good spot to focus your efforts, especially if it is "in your backyard". (keep reading for more on lake bly.)
i think there is a lot to be said for fishing the same water often so that you get to know it well, as you do on the nissequoge. btw, you could spool up your freshwater bass reel with that 14# fireline.

flounder,

i agree with you about not fishing for bass when they are on their spawning beds. but when does that take place? i live on a south shore suffolk lake where i do almost all of my freshwater fishing. the c&r season for bass shuts down from 3/16 until 1st sat in june. on this lake, they don't bed in march or spawn in april. it will be interesting to see when they do this year, as this unusually warm winter has them a month ahead of schedule. sat feb 9th, i caught 3 bass on artificials. these were the year's first for me. on jan 27, i caught no bass, but a nice bycatch( a 16 inch brown). all fw fish are always released.

the new regulation for lake blydenberg that you mentioned, is a proposed regulation to take effect oct 1st 2002 (so not until spring 2003 on lake bly). you can see all the proposed regs at www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/profshregchng02.html you can also e-mail your comments at that site until the public comment period closes on feb 15th.

striper77,

i totally agree with you about all year no kill regs for lm bass. please don't get me started on trout, as it took me a couple of hours to type my letter to dec (with capitals included).

billy40,

i am both suprised and disappointed in you. perhaps you should have your sluggos confiscated, and only be allowed to fish for lm bass with teeny,tiny dry flys.

crash,

i assume that in your neck of the woods they shut you out completely on nov 30th. do you have any idea why??? i doubt bass spawn up there in dec, jan, or feb.

as for bait fishing, circle hooks may be a lifesaver, but i don't use either. for me, the very best part of catching is the strike, and the notion of allowing a fish to hook himself would bore me to death. i know that there are times when bait will catch them when artificials won't, but that is the challenge i seek.

set,
opinari

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Opinari - thanks for the Blyndenberg tip - is that open for fishing all year? I assume you need a permit?

For freshwater -
I've got 2 set-ups:
1.)Ultra-Light Silex rod spooled with 4# test mono & a Shakespear Ultra-Light spinning reel
2.)4 to 5' Ugly Stick with a Shimano baitcasting reel (don't know the model but it's real tiny) spooled with 8 # test mono

Leave the Fireline for saltwater.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am beyond surprised by some of the "issues" raised in this thread!

LMB season is closed in the Winter because the fish are "sitting ducks".
The water is below their comfort range, and they will congregate at the warmest part of the lake. (Saltwater fishermen, think "Keyspan")

There is a similar situation with Trout in the Summer.
But the season is not closed.
Targeting Trout at places like "The Portal" is only UNETHICAL, not ILLEGAL.

Fishing FRESHWATER with bait? Good Gawd!
I was greatly influenced by Jason Lucas.
Although I'll NEVER be half ************* he was ...
...he taught me many things, including THIS pearl...
"Baitfishing is the province of old men and young boys."

For those unfamiliar with his writing, I'll try to convey the reasoning.

Fishing is a SPORT. "Sporting means an equal playing field."
That is to say, the fish have the same chance at sucess that YOU do.
Overplaying a fish on ultralight line is not sporting.
You are not likely to die as a result of the encounter.
But using light line prolongs the fight and results in higher release mortality.
ANY "sport" in the world, be it Baseball, Boxing, or Bowling...
...you get better through more practice.
How do you get better at swimming a killie under a float?
(Or do you use (gasp) FEEDER GOLDFISH?)
How can ANYONE be that desperate to feel a tug on the line?

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd rather spend an hour or two tossing a Zara Spook, than BAILING fish on live bait!

Saltwater is a different story.
I'd STILL prefer catching on artificial,
but most of the time, bait is the only thing that works.
So I chunk.
But there is no question I'd rather catch 'em on a popper.

Bait rules? NOT!
TOPWATER RULES!

Am I surrounded by Jugfishermen?

Flounder

·
Registered
404 Posts
wader,

currently,lake bly can be fished for lm bass c&r until 3/15/2002. so you have about 1 month to fish there.

then you can't target lm bass until 1st sat in june. you can keep them from then until nov 30, 2002.

next spring 2003 - you can c&r for lm bass (only on lake bly in suffolk county) all the way up to the 1st sat in june.

so real good choice of a lake to master.

you need a freshwater license unless you are under 16 yrs old.

i think they also rent rowboats there later in the spring/summer.

i don't know of any other special permits you would need.

set,
opinari

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK I'm only going to say this once to clear the air.

There is NOTHING wrong with bait fishing.

Its easy to say that there is no skill involved, well my friend, you havn't been bait fishing much. AND THATS ALRIGHT, cause I don't care how you fish, its your time and as long as your legal, then its alright in my book.

It seems to me that bait fishermen (although there are more of us then lure tossers) keep getting the finger pointed at us unfairly. We've been blamed for everything from introducing foriegn species to gut hooking fish for fun. ALL of it has been proven UNTRUE.

Ever fish for Catfish? How would you go about landing one of those without bait?

Do I exclusivly fish bait? NO. I use it when conditions dictate its use, or I just want to enjoy a easy day. You want to toss lures all day, go ahead, I won't ever tell ya not to. Just give me the same consideration thats all.

As to flounders point about bass schooling up in deep water in the winter? I've caught litterally hundreds of bass during the winter months. Some were deep some were shallow. They seek out bait no matter where it is. Do they all school up in some mass gathering? I couldn't tell ya, I'm yet to catch a whole bunch from one spot during the winter, and I'm cheating using bait....

Anyone know where I can get a bucket of smelt? I'm bait fishing this weekend.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
I didn't think anyone even read this stufff.

Opinari - I'll clarify my point. I fish for LMB in the mornings before work, from one place 99% of the time. How many times have you seen guys (no Nationalities mentioned) with: Nets and/or trebles literally snagging Bass off their beds in the shallows?

If people are going to do this, you better believe I will C&R during this time. I'm not dropping my bait on a bed, nor am I targetting beds. If I happen to catch one, since I'm using Slug-gos with 2/0 Owner hooks, I'm able to get the fish back into the water as soon as I possibly can.

INot to mention there are more fishermen fishing here during this stretch than any other time during the year. Once the weather warms, teh lake is literally hounded by families who keep EVERYTHING they catch. The water also serves as a toilet bowl, and a dumping ground for Bar-B-Que grills.

So me catching a few fish in this lake really doesn't matter, at least to me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Op,

I really don't know. From what I gather the DEC is considering it. Many states don't have a close season and you don't hear about it damaging the stocks do ya?

My point is that they might as well, when I'm pan fishing in the early spring you see the boats targeting them. Has this effected the lake I fish? No. Would it effect a smaller lake? Most likly. That why I say it has to be on a case by case basis. If they do make it C&R then I really hope they don't make it a state wide regulation.

Our present day regulations are based upon decades of old philosiphy and wives tales. There are only a few seasons and limits that actually make sense.

·
Registered
404 Posts
crash,

can you think of any reason (other than flounder's "sitting duck" argument) why there should not be a statewide c&r season for lm bass in ny from 12/1 until 4/1?

when do they first start to bed upstate?

when do they actually lay their eggs?

where are you located? what county?

btw, i don't hate you because you fish bait.
anyone that likes storm thundersticks can't be all bad.

set,
opinari

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Op,

The only reason I can think of is that its not good at all to expose them to below freezing temps. It freezes their eyes and slime coating.

When I get them ice fishing, I make sure I don't lift them out of the water. I even make "live wells" on the ice to help with C&R.

I'm in Brooklyn and I fish the NYC reservoirs.

The spawn will start as soon as the water hits 55 degrees. You cannot put a date on it.

This message was edited by CRASH on 2-13-02 @ 3:43 PM

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have been fihing the NYC impoundments for a long time,,when we get the boats in the water in April we go for trout ,panfish, and of course bass come in also. We release all the bass but man they bite gitzits and small cranks real good.
Smallies and lmb bite real good up to the 3rd weekend in June . If you know what I mean .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.