NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone suggest a 9' graphite blank for eeling that has a little more guts than a lami gsb1081L but is not as stiff as a gsb1081M? I've thought about cutting a foot off the butt of an Arra 1204 or gsb 1201L but the Breakaway thread has me wondering if I should maybe be looking beyond lamiglas for this.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
shadow.

I will have one of my demo rods at the Freeport Show, Feb 15-17. It is a 9' lamiglass composite, C6909, rated 20-50# test line. It will throw bucktails, eels, bait and handle big fish in current.

It is called "The Shadow".

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Hi Capt. Neil.

Looking forward to seeing you and your handy work at the Freeport show!

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
831 Posts
John Schauer makes a nice little 9 to 9-1/2' eel/plug rod by trimming the butt on a Lami 120 1L. I saw it last Sept at a seminar/show.

The All Star (Breakaway) blank that a lot of guys like for an eel rod is the GSW 1088. I have an older Sabre 1088 that I use, but the tapers and blanks have changed since I got mine. They're much faster and lighter in the tip section now.

I'm looking forward to seeing that Lami composite in a couple of weeks, Capt Neil.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. MikeP, do you have any feelings on how an Arra 1204 might be with 6 inches to a foot cut off the butt? I notice that blank is a fair amount lighter in weight than the GSB1201L.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
If you want to go relatively cheaper - try using the Shakspear Tiger Rod Ugly Stick (7 foot) with a baitcasting reel.

I've used this on the North Shore & it works fairly well for tossing eels.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Here's the thing with the Arra---every so often you get one that breaks. Higher modulus graphite, a little more fragile than the GSB series. Most of the time, it's due to pilot eror, like "hi-sticking" when you're fighting a fish. Very seldom, like anything man-made, you can get one with an undetectable manufacturing defect. If you cut the blank at all---you void the warranty. On the other hand, the GSB rods are about the most durable graphites out there, so you can feel pretty safe in cutting them. I have the 1204 Arra--it's very light and responsive at full length. The only reason to cut it is if a 10' rod is too cumbersome for the spot you're fishing. If you use it at 10' with a balanced reel, the weight of extra foot of length will barely be noticeable.

But---I think if you accepted the risk of voiding the warranty, at 9' or 9-1/2' it'd be a dynamite eel stick. The XRA 1083 is too light and whippy in the tip to make a good eel rod. The black 9' Lami graphites are much better for that purpose.

This message was edited by Mike P on 2-6-02 @ 1:11 PM

·
Registered
831 Posts
shadow---see if the rod builder will stand behind the blank with a one-year warranty if his cutting it voids the factory one. The worse he can say is "no". Some will do it, some won't. If a rod is gonna break due to a manufacturing defect, it's gonna do it on one of the first few fish.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi.

Yes, I have heard of some companies voiding the warranty if a blank is trimmed. However, If you read the Lamiglas warranty, nowhere in it does it mention cutting the blank.

To trim the tip or butt is a simple matter and should not affect the integrity of the blank. Installing a ferrule in a 1 piece blank might be a different set on conditions.

You can always call or email the company who manufacturers the blank and get the answer from them.

Think about the reason to build a rod is to get it your way and that means trimming the blank sometimes. The manufcturers understand this.

This past year I had to send 2 completed rods back to a manufacturer. They replaced both blanks which was great for my customers. If they didn't I would still be okay with the company. The owners used synthetic line and I firmly believe that is why the blanks broke. Some blanks are not made to stand up to the pressures of synthetic line. One of the customers I told not to use synthetic line as we built that rod several years ago for him to fish with mono. He didn't listen.

Remember only 3 things can break, the blank, reel or line. Usually it is the blank that breaks.

I have witnessed a fisherman abuse an excellent heavy duty graphite rod while blackfishing and he was using mono. He got stuck in the wreck and was determined that he was going to hi stick that rig out of the wreck. What an explosion when the rod broke in 2 places.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
831 Posts
Capt Neil--I coped this off Lami's site:

If the problem is due to a defect in material or workmanship, the rod will be repaired or replaced to you as quickly as possible. If the problem is due to an unfortunate accident, misuse, alteration or normal wear and tear, we will advise you of the cost of repair or replacement and await your approval prior to proceeding.

I guess alteration is open to interpretation, but I have had builders advise me that cutting the blank voids the warranty. I've never had to use their warranty, tho.

I wish Todd Vivian still posted, he could probably give a definitive answer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.