NorEast Fishing Forum banner

8 Foot Surf Rod Match for VS150

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  gfd1957 
#1 ·
I am looking for ideas of an eight foot surf rod to be matched with a VS150 and used with lure weights up to 2 oz. Is anybody fishing this type of setup? It will be used off the beach AND from a boat. What rod would you chose? Thanks.

This post edited by longcast 11:04 AM 12/28/2007

#3 ·
Hi Longcast,

I have an 8ft Star Rod that I use for the very same thing you mentioned. I fish it off the beach in the back and it throws the small Bomber/Mambo/Crystals/etc fine even though these fall outside of the ratings stated on the rod. In the boat I fish the BIG metal lips and poppers with it very nicely.

I have the Quantum CABO PTs30 spooled with 20lb Fireline on it. This reel has the center of the spool the same height off the rod as my VS-150. Very nice outfit.

I LOVE the Star Stellar Lite series and it did take some hunting to find this model but it was well worth it to me!! Rod's Model number and stats follow;
SG80IS Spinning 8' 8-20 1/2 - 3 Medium

HTH, Paul

This post edited by surfstix 02:46 PM 12/28/2007

#5 ·
Thank you for the replies! One last item. Can you EFFECTIVELY work a pencil popper with that rod. I have tried with 7 foot rods and was disappointed. The reason the 8 foot is chosen is due to the fishing off a boat. Longer than 8 foot can be a PITA.
Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.