NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 10 ft. St. Croix. Was thinking of going with the 6500ss or the 7500ss. Rod is rated for 6-20lb test. I plan on using mostly bait with it but will toss poppers once in a while. Wasnt sure if the 7500 was too big. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
67 Posts
SORRY I'm kind of a novice at surf fishing,but I was going to get the 560 Penn Slammer with probably a St.Croix or a Lamiglas.. Heard the Slammer is great from a few guys.How's that St. Croix Don't know how it will match up with the slammer.Where and how much was that rod? I'm so mad I didn't pick them up at one of the shows I went to.
Well good luck,I'll be shopping around.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Penn 6500 v.7500

JB:

The 7500 is a bit heavier, and priced higher, but the larger spool will provide some extra casting distance. Both are quality reels that are up to the job. I would dry cast or at least, mount each reel to see which balances better on the rod.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to mount it on the rod and see how it balances out.
Flukinfool,
The rod was listed at $160 but I bought it at the Suffern show in the beginning of March. I saved about 15%. I havent had the opportunity to use it but after using a 10 ft. U.Stik last season this thing feels like its going to be awesome. I'm also new to surf fishing and after having fun with it last season I decided to upgrade a little.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Last year I used a 6500 on my 10ft
st. croix and it worked great.
Nice balanced rod & reel.
plenty of power to reel in any striper.
This year changing things around only becuase I picked up a new rod.
704z on the 10ft and 6500 on my 9.6ft
breakaway rod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.