NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a van staal for a while now and recently purchased a 706Z. I like the reel but what I don't like is the size of the line roller. It is a lot smaller than the VS. Also, there is a little metal point that is right in front of the line roller. I feel that it hurts me when I go to pick up my line. Does any one know why it is there? Also, does any one know if they make a larger line roller to fit the 706Z? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Surfjerk,

I have often asked the same question about the little piece next to the roller. Logically, there is no reason for it to be there and I guess somebody wrongly thought that it might help prevent the line from slipping off the roller. It serves the same purpose as being able to turn off the anti-reverse mechanism--NONE (I have never back reeled a fish, have you?). I have learned to live with "the little metal point" and I love 706's (been using them for 19 years now). Regarding the roller, there is nothing like a Van Staal, but be assured that the 706 roller is amply large and is for the most part, trouble free. I have seen people who have had custom rollers made for their SS series reels, so I would imagine it could be done for a 706 if you really wanted to invest the money.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
826 Posts
This is just a guess---but I think that little metal pin is there to keep the line from catching on the roller when the handle spins during a cast. That round coffee grinder handle spins like a top unless it's ****ed to the rear when you cast.

Wish I had a nickel for every time it caused me to miss the pickup when I started reeling in. You have to get the line on the meat of your fingertip, where your fingerprints are.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i have been fishing for about 20 years now and i own 10 706s and 4 van staals, mike p is 100% correct,when i was younger i coudnt figure out what the purpose for that little cone was for,i also thought it was useless so i took if out! well i found out on the very first windy day,bye bye darter!
the reason van staal dosent have a cone i would guess is for copyright infrigment reasons,(all van staal reels are glorified penn/cracks) so they put a large lip on their roller;works the same.but the van staal and penn rollers are the same diameter.
remember if it aint broke dont fix it!
keep on pluggin,
tbone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.