NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started to watch the bft segment on 60 minutes last night and couldn 't do it. Had to change the channel. Hundreds of seiners from all countries and spotting planes all waiting for them in their migratory routes. This is not fishing its' extermination of a species. Maybe they 're doing it for scientific study ! Japanese are also targeting humpbacks for that reason. Sure !!!!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
BFT

I watched that 60 mins. show. The amazing thing is over there no one enforces the regulations. They have Regulations there, but no one to enforce them. I have trouble understanding how people can just keep doing this knowing it's gonna destroy the fishery. Like shooting yourself in the foot. With all the Hi Tech. equipment they use in the spawning grounds, they are ruining a fishery and way of life for many local fishermen. The spotter planes are outlawed, yet they're seen flying back an forth over the fishing grounds. And yes, the Japanese are the biggest violators, I agreed with the report where they said the Japanese would buy every Tuna caught also.

This post edited by JollyRoger190 06:16 PM 01/15/2008

·
Registered
212 Posts
I read an article about a crazy captain (he doesn?t even have a captains license, but likes to call himself one) that takes these jokers on. He's got an old supply ship painted black. On the bow he's got a boom that he rams these ships with. This guy?s so nuts even Greenpeace won't have anything to do with him. I thought he was nuts too, until the article showed Japanese fisherman corralling hundreds of porpoises in a cove, and slaughtering them with machetes. After reading the article and seeing the pictures I began to think this guy wasn't so nuts after all.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mariner wrote:
Captain Paul Watson his group is Sea Shepherd

Thanks for the info, went to their site and made a donation. They have to be putting themselves in harms-way trying to interfere with a billion dollar business ! Takes balls ! www.seashepherd.org

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.