NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine went fishing last week for the second time in his life and caught a 54 lbs Striper on the bay side within sight of the Coast Guard station near the Robert Moses causeway. The **** thing was nearly as big as he is and I saw pictures of the fish and at the weigh in. He was in a friends boat and they were using live bait. The exact spot is a secret and he wouldn't tell me any more than that. He is supposed to be on the cover of some local fishing magazine this week I think. They caught that as well as a couple other keepers between them all in that area. Figured I'd pass on the fact that the big ones are out there!

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
The causeway or the bridge? Those are two different spans.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I said, that was all he would say, the guy he went out with considers it his "secret" spot, so my friend wouldn't get any more specific. He said you could see the Coast Guard station.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
I think I know the spot though there is a lot of water to fish. Yea, it's definately possible there.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Banned
3,311 Posts
Matt, you have the story all wrong. It was not a "secret spot". As a matter of fact, I heard that there were over a dozen boats (some of them PARTY BOATS) that fishing right next to him and were able to watch the fish being landed. What your friend had was extreme LUCK, not a secret spot.

·
Registered
398 Posts
matt4821,

please relay my heartfelt sympathy to your friend that caught the 54# striper on his second time fishing.

he will never know the real fun of striper fishing; torturing yourself in all kinds of miserable weather for hours at a time, year after year, in a relentless quest to capture the elusive "fifty".

set,
opinari

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I think the best spots west of the coast guard over there would be the beach before the jetty & east bar, nice deep water, he was prob there or just east of it.
One of my favorite spots {for stripers} that could be fished easily from shore in that area just east of the big Meadowbrook on Sloop channel anywhere from a few feet to couple hundred yards up close to the marsh. It drops off to 20 ft + real quick and Ive had good luck there in the past.
If I was that guy who caught the 54 lber his second time fishing Id buy a lottery ticket asap. What luck.
Alan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.