NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I have seen the Penn 525mag and wanted to get it but the tackle shops did not have enough information concerning these reels. If any of you have information concerning the 525mag or the 535mag please let me know what you think of these reels. Is it a sound investment? what rod will be convenient with this type of reel? Thank you in advence for the information.

·
Registered
15 Posts
on the 525 mag, check out pennreels.com sorry i dont use conv. but they go well with lamis and allstar rods also loomis 9ft plus. this is what i hear.oh also breakaway rods.i might be thinking of getting one myself for 8nbait.good long distance reel.

·
Registered
197 Posts
fish4fun

I got a 525mag not too long ago, it is great!

This is my first year using conventional gear for surf fishing because when I tried in the past, I could never train myself how to cast for some distance without getting the **** bird's nest!

This reel has almost solved that problem for me. In 4 trips to the beach I have yet to have a problem, it is a great reel, and many guys on this board will say that. I would definitely look into getting it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think the Penn 525 or 535 are excellent conventional casting reels. They are expensive. I think the best rod would depend on your height and body type. If you are under 6' then any rod below 11' is best for casting and comfort. The rod also depends on how much you want to spend.

I give you a few choice I would use with the Penn 525 or 535.

Power Act. Lgth. Pcs. Line
Wt.(lb) Lure Wt.(oz) No. Gds. Price

Daiwa Sealine-X Series Casting model:
SL-XS1002MHRB MH R 10' 2 15-30 3-6 9 $64.95
SL-XS1102HRB H R 11' 2 20-40 4-7 10 $84.95

St. Croix Casting model:
SC106MH2 MH 10'6" 2 10-25 6 $210

There are a few more but I just forgot their names. Shop around and compare prices.

I use a 12' Ugly Stik for my own conventional tackle. I dont got that much money to buy the ones above. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Penn has a new brother to the 525MAG... the 525magT. Your older MAG525 has an adjustment mechanism that you pre-adjust before the cast. In theory you need LESS magnetic slow down early on into the cast and more towards the end of the cast when the spool spins up.

Penn saw this and came out with the MAG 525 T model. This reel has a thumb lever on the side plate that is used to adjust the magnet's effect DURING the cast. Less at first... more later.

I would think that on the older MAG525 in order for the magnets to work at the end of the cast and prevent backlash... that too much magnetic influence would be present during the early stages of the cast. Maybe this is all a bunch technical BS... and may only decrease your cast by a few feet?

Anyway... if you just bought the MAG 525... you may wish to consider a return/exchange for the newer 525 MAG T and have the "latest & greatest". have not seen any in the shops yet, but they have them online at a few places.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.