NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are we going to have access to WE2 this year? I heard a lot of talk about it and I have even read it somewhere, but the lady at the parks dept. office said she didn't know anything about it.

Does anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
266 Posts
BASSHOLE all I know about WE2 is the new access at the construction dock backside of WE2. From what I've read there won't be any 4X4 access to the jetty or the beach. We will still have to hike it. I don't mind it keeps me in good shape.

·
Registered
266 Posts
BASSHOLE quote:
I don't want we2 to look like the sore thumb after a hot summer day (more garbage than seaweed).

BASSHOLE I guess you don't fish the backside(inlet)of WE2. There is more garbage than seaweed back there. And it's getting worse year after year.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FLYRODDER quote:
quote:
I guess you don't fish the backside(inlet)of WE2. There is more garbage than seaweed back there. And it's getting worse year after year.

I fish the backside all the time! It's still not as bad as the sore thumb.
I remember last year someone left garbage bags that broke open all over the entrance. It was like driving in an obstacle course.
If you think it's bad now wait until the access gets easier!

This message was edited by basshole on 1-22-02 @ 7:54 PM

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
The problem with "the thumb" is the town permit wich allows recreational nonfishing use. People seem to be unwilling to bring the picnic home and discard the bags of trash as though a garbage truck was coming to pick it up.

I made a rule with myself last year that I would pick up at least 1 thing, usually more, every trip.

Matt

·
Registered
266 Posts
BASSHOLE Quote:
I fish the backside all the time! It's still not as bad as the sore thumb.
I remember last year someone left garbage bags that broke open all over the entrance. It was like driving in an obstacle course.
If you think it's bad now wait until the access gets easier!

BASSHOLE this year WE2(backside)access will be a lot easier. The construction dock will be open to park in. Easier access to the backside which means lots more garbage left behind as compared to last year. Thats why I hope they never open the front side for 4X4 use. The beach(ocean side)is clean but it won't be if theres 4X4 access. I like it the way it is now. Not crowded.

·
Registered
353 Posts
More access means more users.
More users means more garbage.
Funny, it doesn't seem to be a problem at Demo.

I have fallen arches, heel spurs, and I weigh twice what I should.
Walking more than a block or two is often painful.
I LOVE to fish that area near the pocket.
Without 4wd access, I will NEVER see it again.
So you will understand if my opinion on access is different than yours.

As things stand now, the handicapped are essentially excluded from the WE2 jetty.
Perhaps to keep things fair, the physically fit should have to walk in at Demo?
They could park in Field 2 and walk! Wouldn't that be "fair"?
(Only kiddin', but it sure sux to be excluded from one of your favorite places because of forces beyond your control. Double that feeling when you get no support from your peers.)

Flounder

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Flounder,
I feel your pain. (no that isn't sarcastic)
Not having the ability to get around is a difficult problem.
Demo stays clean because there is someone at the checkpoint, cops are always there and it is more of a camping, fishing crowd rather than a beach going crowd.
I think people who want or need the easier access have to suffer because of the mindless pigs who don't take their garbage with them.
Give a hoot, don't pollute!!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hey, Flounder---you know I understand your concerns. I'd have no problem with handicapped access by 4x4 to the jetty, or for those over 65.

It's just that those who have to work harder to enjoy a resource tend to appreciate it more. There are the same percentages of slobs vs caring people in fishing as there are in the general population. Slobs tend to be lazier, that's why they're slobs in the first place. When you can drive right up to a jetty, pull out the rods and coolers, put a boom box on the roof and party down while waiting for your rod to be pulled down, it attracts more slobs. Go to Moriches any Sunday night in the summer and see what a pigsty that jetty is---and that requires a 7 mile run on the beach to get there. Yet---the few hundred feet you have to walk in on the Cupsogue side helps to discourage some of them---not all, but some. The thing that might work at WE 2 is limited fall access, say, from 6PM until 8AM. Equipment check at the gatehouse by the police barracks, and full 24 hour access for the handicapped, all after Sept 15. Open it up all year, and we'll lose it faster than a bluefish can chop a leader. Maybe even foot access.

The other thing about Demo is---a lot of LIBBA members, including officers and Directors, camp there all weekend and probably do a good clean up job. Most of the LIBBA members at Moriches camp on the beach, not at the inlet.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Flounder I agree. Anyone with a handicap pass or anyone over 65 should be allowed to drive onto the beach at WE2. But don't think Demo is clean. The backside is filthy with bait containers tons of fishing line plastic bags and beer bottles and cans all over the place. I've walked the backside many times. At night I have to use the head lite just so I don't get tangled in fishing line somebody dumped on the beach. But the front(ocean side) is pretty clean.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I also fish the backside of demo and it has been getting trashier and from what ive seen it is from the boats that weekend in the coves.I can uaually fill 2 garbage bags with whats left.The sore thumg gets worse every year.If I do go on the w/e I have to leave before 11am or get blocked in.,and that extends now to the sign to the west

·
Registered
160 Posts
I also fish the backside of demo and it has been getting trashier and from what ive seen it is from the boats that weekend in the coves.I can uaually fill 2 garbage bags with whats left.The sore thumg gets worse every year.If I do go on the w/e I have to leave before 11am or get blocked in.,and that extends now to the sign to the west

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I used to think 4x4 access to WE2 was a good idea. But after all the trash I saw all over the various beaches last year I'm changing my mind.

Awful that a few slobs spool it for everyone. :(

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.