NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Hi George,
Thank you for your kind words and I am very glad that I could assist our fellow fishers. I am basically trying my best to educate as many as possible so they are able to enjoy this sport to the max! At the same token, they also need to understand what?s happening with our fishery today.

OK, what do I think about the 43% participants that want to see maximum harvest? Hmmm, that?s a tough call! However, it does not surprise me. Many people fish for various reasons and keeping fish for the table is probably one of the main attraction.

For me, the Striped bass issue is a very sensitive topic because I feel that there are too many user groups that wants a big share at this magical fish? To answer truthfully, this is a catch two-two situation! A strong side of me wants to see the return of the big fish and at the same time, who am I to say what you can keep? What?s really important is? we need a solid Striped Bass Management that will service all parties, Educate the public & fishermen?and most importantly, maintain a healthy bass population. Obviously this is not an easy task, but we need to work at it!

One thing for sure, I don?t like what?s happening with our bass management today ? it?s totally unbalanced, unfair and we need to do something about fast!

What we really need to do is to gather every faucet (environmentalist, governmental, organizations, politicians and user groups) to get involved and to work together! I know this is not an overnight thing? but I guess we have to start somewhere.

I also know that there are many separate groups trying to work on this problem? but the real problem is .. Err. Well, let me simply put it this way?. There are too many chefs cooking this one secret dish - but none of them are actually ?talking? to one another.

This is a big problem!

?Crazy? Alberto

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Guys,
After reading your replies, I think this is a very good argument!

Now lets get down to the specifics and allow me to ask you a few questions.

1) Do you think the 36" size limit was working?
2) How do you feel about the current (28") regulation?
3) What would you like to see changed?
4) Do you think every state should have the same size laws?

"Crazy" Alberto

· Registered
2,401 Posts
First of all, I like to thank you all for sharing your opinions regarding this critical and very important topic.
Let?s address the following and maybe we could clear some air.

There is a lot of mumble jumble wording going on in here that I believe we need to clarify. Why? It?s troubling enough that we have many user groups that are trying their very best to decide what is best for this fishery. But to be in the same page, we need to clarify what is the true meaning of Maximum Harvest and Normal Age and Size Distribution.

Furthermore, how about clarifying what?s in the Amendment 6 Management Plan? Lastly, there is too much slack going in the Commercial By-Catch world, which I have, a good idea how destructive and devastating it is? but nobody wants to touch this. I want to know why? There is something VERY UGLY going on there?

All in all, this is a very complicated matter and yet, ?we? make matters worse by trying to blame other ?fishing / recreational? groups. I could tell you one thing? the commercial entities are laughing at us now?because we really don?t have a voice (power) and we are also playing with the #?s that is allocated to us?.

I just fee that anything we give up (for the good of this fishery)?the commercials will gladly take it (because it is an allocation matter) and continue to abuse/destroy ?our? resources quietly.

I know these are tough question, but anybody wants to take a crack at this?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Gamakatsu wrote:
[/I]quote:

...I know what the problem is, but I sure don't have a solution. Maybe we can lift all the limits, both commercial and recreational--In about 5 years time the problem will be solved.
[/i]

Wrong!
With the Commercial By-Catch, I?ll give it one year and it will be categorized the same as the (gone for good) whiting fishery! That?s how devastating I believe the commercial by catch can be!

In all seriousness, at this time, we have no answers. We have too many "fishing organizations" representing our best interest and yet, we still don?t see eye to eye. You might sense some frustrations out of me? but I can tell you, I am NOT alone! You ask yourself, how is that possible when we have millions strong? and yet, we are so weak?

What's really sad, we know what the other party is doing (brotherly unified, politically connected, powerful lobbying group) but we can?t get our act together!

Why is that? Are they smarter than we are?
I like to think NOT.

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

This message was edited by Crazy-Al on 12-6-01 @ 2:25 PM

· Registered
2,401 Posts
I agree with Capt. Neil and Gamagatsu,

I can not stress how important that is to the ?Recreational? entity!

I am also talking about taking one step further?. I am reffering to our fishing organizations to do the right thing! Put down the gloves and look at the BIG picture! Sure we care about C&R, Allocation, Size Limit and Harvest, Big Game, Fly fishing, Trout, Fishing Economy, Protection, Endangered Species, Access, Cleaner Waters, Regulations, Kids & Fishing Programs, Tackle, Resorts, Reefs, Light Tackle, World Records, Shows, Licenses, Tournaments, Freshwater, Articles & Reporting, Education, etc? I understand each and every issue is pivotal to our fishing industry, but what are we doing to protect what is being taken away from us?

What's really disturbing is that the times I went to our fishery hearing, I always asked myself, Why is this billion $$$$ industry being taken so lightly?

But you know what? Reality hits home! During last year?s Fluke hearing which was held in Atlantic City?. I took Al Ristori?s compelling argument to heart! He eloquently presented factual statistics regarding a fishery that was once 80% recreational and 20% commercial and today?s allocation is reversed in favor of the commercial sectors!

Now, you may be wondering why I am so pressed about this topic. I guess my bio will unfold. After Mr. George (Noreast) read my goals. He admitted this is a challenging task but it would be quite an accomplishment if this were to be achieved. Yes, I agree? it would be a monumental accomplishment to this ?recreational fishing business??But unfortunately we are not going anywhere (but downhill) if we don?t do anything about it!

Now let me ask you this, if we could have by partisan parties in our nation?s capital hill?. Why can?t we have this in our fishing community? Are we so gun-ho about what we do and blinded by what?s happening?

Or do we simply don?t care?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

· Registered
2,401 Posts
quote:

Interesting late surge, all asking for harvest over quality. Hmmmm[/i]

Hi JohnP,
Thanks for chiming in. If I am reading you right, I don?t agree at all. I definitely like to see the return of the trophy fish? but are you suggesting that we should stop harvesting?

I just feel that we are pressured to choose one over the other and not having the option of both.

I am all for BRINGING BACK THE BIG BASS - But we can?t stop harvesting!

What we really need is collaborated effort and a better management system!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

· Registered
2,401 Posts
Hello JohnP,
You raised a valid and compelling argument but what are you really recommending?
The truth of the matter is, many fishers that cares about this fishery know where the problems lie but what are we to do? It?s simple to say? Let?s bring back the big fish and do the right thing.

Well, what is the right thing I ask?
Should we bring back the 36? limit?
Are we to reduce our keep (maximum harvest) and not worry about what the commercials next moves are (taking what we forfeit)?
Should we impose a stricter size limit to save the big fish (sounds good but please recommend ideas)
Maybe we to have a slot fish (say 24?-32?) and possibly a trophy fish?
Should we try to work with our said (allocation) numbers and ignore the commercial?s (destructive) methods?
Are we really happy with the allocated figures and willing to reduce it by _ % while the commercial continues to wins the larger share?
Are you recommending us not to kill/hunt big fish?
Are we to fight to have coastal wide restrictions?
Maybe we should try for a gamefish status again?
How about just practice Catch & Release and forget about the ugly meat hunters?
Or are we to take drastic measures and forget about our industry and ban fishing all together until the big fish comes back by the year 2016?

I could go on and on... but do I dare to ask what the future holds?
Well, to be perfectly honest, in my eyes, it does not look good at all!

Why? I still don?t think we are addressing the BIG PROBLEM and besides, we don?t count! Please let me try to enlighten you without any stock data, biological, political or any statistical backing? Based on my fishing experiences and what I see happening today? All I can say is ? It?s VERY disturbing! Regardless of the species? What does the future holds you may ask? My answer would simply be?. It doesn?t matter because we will have no saying whatsoever! Why? Because in the future, the commercial entities will controls our fishery! All we can do is this?. Practice Catch and Release during a said timeframe - And if you want a fish for the table? Sorry, you need to buy it in the fish market!

I guess I painted a very ugly picture eh? But that?s not too far fetched if you think about it. Now, do we dare to continue to fight amongst ourselves (recreational, conservationist, sportsman, etc) and let the commercial laugh at us? Or- do we try to widen our spectrum and fight a bigger battle?

Maybe we should simply go back and discuss bringing back the big fish only? You may think that I am confusing tow different issues ? but I don?t think so?Because no matter how you cut it? I believe it?s a fishery matter that needs to be fought in a bigger battlefield.

Given that, where do we start? Maybe we could petition for a better Striped Bass management and at the same token, try to address the bigger picture too. How about it?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.