NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Crazy Alberto,

I would first like to welcome and congratulate you on the fine job you?re doing here at Noreast.com. You have added some great topics to our boards and I, as well as our visitors, appreciate it.

I?m curious as to what you think of the current results of the poll on our Homepage that shows over 43% of anglers that participated would rather see the striped bass managed for maximum harvest rather that allow it to reach it?s historical age and size distribution.

My thought was more people would have preferred a better shot at bigger fish, but I guess there?s a lot of anglers out there that want to take that fish home to eat.

What?s your take on it?

Respectfully,
George R. Scocca
Publisher, Nor'east Saltwater

· Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Mike P.

Our Online Poll is written so each browser can vote just once. Sure there?s a way around it, but my experience tells me that a small percentage of our users would have the ability to do so.

Crash,

Correct me if I?m wrong, but I am under the impression that our visitors are in fact recreational anglers. They?re not all members of recreational organizations or even conservationists, but they are by a vast majority, recreational anglers. Commercial fisherman have little reason to visit our website other than to start a good debate on our boards very once in a while. So even though you may disagree with the outcome of the poll, I believe it really should be taken seriously as a gauge for what people are thinking. In fact our polls have been taken into account in both the legislative and regulatory processes in the past, and if it?s good enough for them it?s good enough for me.

And while I agree with you that many CCA members would like to see a historical age structure, unfortunately there are only one thousand people in that organization here in NY, and fewer in NJ and CT, and with over 1,300,000 saltwater recreational anglers in the NY tri-state area, that is a very small sampling of what the majority wants. You may also be surprised to know that CCA can?t even get it?s member states to agree on how to get to where they want to be, similar to what were witnessing in this discussion.

I?m personally surprised by the results of the poll and that?s why I started this thread, but like it or not, I?m sure the data shows an accurate sampling of how people want the striped bass to be managed in the future.

Respectfully,
George R. Scocca

· Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I would like to straighten out what I believe to be a misconception about the second fish that charter and party boat fares are now allowed to keep. That second fish was made available to ALL New Yorkers under the current Striped Bass Management Plan, as well as to every angler fishing the coastal striped bass stock. In fact, recreational anglers in every other state are fishing at a ?conservation equivalency? of two bass at 28-inches (that?s how other states implemented slot limits), and the only anglers not taking the second fish are New York private recreational anglers.

It was the choice of the New York recreational sector to keep it at one fish per angler per day, which I really don?t have a problem with, but what troubles me is that people somehow think that the same rule should apply to the charter and party boat industry which wanted the second fish. If the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission approved it, and every other state on the coast is fishing it?s maximum harvest, why single out the New York charter and party boat industry for doing the same thing and fishing well within the guidelines of the plan? Heck, NJ is fishing three fish per angler for everyone!

I should also point out that the NY charter and party boat industry is fishing at an even more restrictive measure than the rest of the coast in that they cannot posses any fish for the mate and captain. So a trip with 4 anglers and a captain and mate can now take eight fish, but the rest of the coast would have an equivalency of 12!

I?m sure some of you are thinking ?protect your advertisers,? but the numbers don?t lie and that second fish is having little if any negative effect on the overall fishery. Also remember this industry is nothing more than a taxi cab taking ?recreational anglers? to the fishing grounds ? the captains aren?t catching them - they aren?t even allowed to take a fish for themselves.

I think we should be looking at the gillnet by-catch in Maryland and the threat of the opening of the Hudson River spawning grounds, or the threat of the opening of the EEZ to netting again, not hook and line anglers fishing from a party or charter boat.

Respectfully,
George R. Scocca

· Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Doughboy,

The vast amount of fishing clubs, organizations and individuals, myself included, were concerned at the time that two fish at 28-inches per day per angler would put too much of a strain on the overall biomass. And now some of the current science seems to suggest that we were correct.

Opinari,

Here?s a shortened version of the way I see it: Recreational anglers didn?t want the second bass and the party/charter boats did, and each group got what they wanted in the end. Both fell well within the guidelines of the Striped Bass Management Plan, which I?m sure we could all agree has been a success. Also keep in mind that nowhere in the regualtion does it say that they have to keep two fish, it?s up to each individual angler.

There allot of different way?s to view it, there?s your way and then there?s the ?why should I be restricted to one bass when everyone else in the country is fishing the equivalent of two?"

Either way one thing is certain, there will always be a difference of opinions when it comes to the mighty striped bass, and the truth is, it?s probably in the best shape of all of our recreational fisheries.

Respectfully,
George R. Scocca

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.