NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Crazy Alberto,

I would first like to welcome and congratulate you on the fine job you?re doing here at Noreast.com. You have added some great topics to our boards and I, as well as our visitors, appreciate it.

I?m curious as to what you think of the current results of the poll on our Homepage that shows over 43% of anglers that participated would rather see the striped bass managed for maximum harvest rather that allow it to reach it?s historical age and size distribution.

My thought was more people would have preferred a better shot at bigger fish, but I guess there?s a lot of anglers out there that want to take that fish home to eat.

What?s your take on it?

Respectfully,
George R. Scocca
Publisher, Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi,

The first question is what does "maximun harvest" mean? How many,what size and length of season?

I think "Solomon" would have trouble coming up with the answer, How to protect the species and satisfy the appetites of harvesters.

Maybe "tags" should be sold to individuals, like for deer season, or pin hookers, for a pre determined number of fish. The money raised would be allocated for the marine fisheries environment.

After that mouthful I had better leave my PC off for several weeks!!!

This is almost Dec. and stripers are still being caught in our area. Good size ones!! This is a wonderful thing. It would be terrible if it was destroyed.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil
(631)567-8049

·
Registered
22 Posts
That nuber 43%, is high. I least that still leaves 57% of us who would favor a chance at larger fish. This figure seems to change somewhat based on the group of anglers you ask.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hey Crazy

How about the D.E.C. docking a barge in each major inlet were they could purchase fish from anyone willing to pay for a license to commercially fish striped bass.
Minimum 1 thousand dollars for the license.
5 fish a day.
slot size limit of 28 to 38 inches.
Only 1 license per boat.
The D.E.C. can implement quota's to insure good future fishing.
The D.E.C. can charge the fair market price for the bass.
The D.E.C. can use the monies from the high license fee and the money they make off the fish to pay for extra officers and patrolling.
If you get caught breaking the rules you get stripped of your license for life and fined.
If your fishing for your 5 fish to sell and you happen to catch a 50 pounder well too bad you have to let it go, or let your selling catch go in order to keep your 50 pounder.

Just a suggestion..

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hi George,
Thank you for your kind words and I am very glad that I could assist our fellow fishers. I am basically trying my best to educate as many as possible so they are able to enjoy this sport to the max! At the same token, they also need to understand what?s happening with our fishery today.

OK, what do I think about the 43% participants that want to see maximum harvest? Hmmm, that?s a tough call! However, it does not surprise me. Many people fish for various reasons and keeping fish for the table is probably one of the main attraction.

For me, the Striped bass issue is a very sensitive topic because I feel that there are too many user groups that wants a big share at this magical fish? To answer truthfully, this is a catch two-two situation! A strong side of me wants to see the return of the big fish and at the same time, who am I to say what you can keep? What?s really important is? we need a solid Striped Bass Management that will service all parties, Educate the public & fishermen?and most importantly, maintain a healthy bass population. Obviously this is not an easy task, but we need to work at it!

One thing for sure, I don?t like what?s happening with our bass management today ? it?s totally unbalanced, unfair and we need to do something about fast!

What we really need to do is to gather every faucet (environmentalist, governmental, organizations, politicians and user groups) to get involved and to work together! I know this is not an overnight thing? but I guess we have to start somewhere.

I also know that there are many separate groups trying to work on this problem? but the real problem is .. Err. Well, let me simply put it this way?. There are too many chefs cooking this one secret dish - but none of them are actually ?talking? to one another.

This is a big problem!

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
763 Posts
Mike

Bringing back a 36" limit on bass was tried and I'm not totally convinced that it worked.
While the population of bass may have risen, the number of big fish has declined.
Most 36" bass are female, males rarely grow that big, to take a large number of females out of the mix really isn't the best for the bass population in the long run.
What made the 36" limit a success at all was the average fisherman wasn't catching many keepers.

I also believe the reason for the 43% of the anglers wanting max harvest is because every year it gets more and more expensive to fish. As much as anglers enjoy the piece and serenity of fishing I believe a lot of guys also enjoy a nice fish dinner. The harder the fed's make it to catch fish the less people are going to partisipate and that's not good for any of us.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm not an expert on marine biology, or the variables that determine the age & size distribution of striped bass, but I'll tell you this:

Sign me up for whatever it takes to bring back the big bass!! If it's one at 36, or ten at 18. Just promise me that the sacrifices made by one sector won't be scarfed up by another user group.

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
763 Posts
Usually a well ballance is the best for a population of any fish.
You know the old saying be careful what you wish for.
Designing limits and quotas to suit trophy hunters may not be the best thing for the bass population.

Steve do you want what's best for you or what's best for the bass?

·
Registered
404 Posts
i think we (no exceptions for fare-payers) should be allowed to keep 1 striper per day, regardless of size.

that way we could keep the one that we hurt the most, the one that probably won't survive anyway.

what a waste of the resource to release doomed fish and keep would-be survivors instead!

i DO NOT think the current regs are managing for maximum harvest OR historical size.

set,
opinari

This message was edited by OPINARI on 11-30-01 @ 7:13 PM

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think 10% of the fishermen voted 43% of the time :)

bait boy probably voted 50 times himself.

Look at it this way---those of us who follow the law and practice conservation would probably follow the rules and vote once.

Those who want to kill every bass the catch, and think nothing of taking home short fish, would probably not follow a "one man, one vote" mindset.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Been fishing the Sound for over 20 years and the best bass fishing we ever had was the first year after the total bane was lifted (I believe it was 1995). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the less we disturb nature the better the fishing will be for everyone. I say bring back 1 fish per day at 36" for "everyone".

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Why not a slot limit with one fish per day. Almost all the stripers over 36 inches are females. Doing the most to protect the females of the species would provide the biggest benefit. A slot limit of say 28 - 36 inches with a limit of one fish per person would still provide plenty of table fare. This would also give anglers a better chance to catch larger fish.

This is just an idea and I know those looking for the big cows as a wall hanger will be pissed (You guys would have to bring a camera and a ruler). I am not looking to piss any one off here. Honestly, I am satisfied with the current regulations. The bass fishing has been great for me this year. No real cows, but plenty of fish.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Changing from (one at 28") to (one at 36") will not bring back the big fish.
It will increase the number of small ones though.
I discussed this at length with Byron Young a few years back.
He agreed that a "slot" would be the best way to bring big fish back, but
he had no faith in NY anglers remembering/obeying a slot limit.
The law was (one at 36") then. (Remember the meeting in Stony Brook?)

TWO fish between 18" and 24" could be harvested without adverse effect on the biomass.
It is the LARGE fish that must be protected now, so their survivor genes can be passed on.
Of course, if the law changes to this slot, even if you catch a world record, you can't keep it.

A 20 pound female produces about 1.2 million eggs, .125" dia.
A 50 pound female produces about 12 million eggs, .250" dia.
The larger eggs produce more viable fry. It's really a "no brainer".

In other words, a 50# female is worth MORE than ten 20# females
I believe this issue was discussed at length in Nick Karas's book.
A scholarly text, it was well researched and planned, highly recommended reading!

Flounder.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Very well said Flounder.
I myself spoke to Mr.Young about the very same topic. The good thing is the answer to the bass problem if fairly simple. (a low slot size in the 20" rage and 1 a day bag limit).
The actual abstical's are the Steve's and the Mike's who want that wall hanging bass, along with the charter boat captains who want a minimum size limit and a maximum bag limit.
Throw in the commercial's breathing down your neck and WHAMMO! instant mess.
The other problem is when you mention what you did about a 1 fish 18 to 24 inch slot size it upset's members of this page. Then you get accused of belonging to P.E.T.A.

15 day's left..

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
It is unfortunate to hear that Byron feels that New York's sportfisherman could not be trusted to follow the regulations if a slot limit was instituted. Byron is a good man who speaks realistically. I also have spoken to him many times in the past. His beliefs, however should not be the deciding factor on gamefish regulations. Regulations should be based on what is best for the species.

Another option for consideration could be a slot limit (whatever size and number they feel is appropriate) and a seperate tag (which would be purchased for a minimal fee to cover the expense of the tag program) for a single trophy fish per season. It could be run like the tuna permits.
This would slow the harvesting of larger fish while still providing the opportunity to catch that tropy or record fish.

I believe that most of the NYS fisherman out there would continue to follow the laws if a slot limit was imposed. However, it might cause a few more of them to keep that illegal cow that they had been fishing a lifetime for. I remember when I was a kid and my father caught a 50 pounder in the surf during the moritorium. If there weren't 12 guys standing around by the time he got it in, the fish would have went home with us. I think he was almost ready to cry when he had to release it.

The DEC would just have to crack down on enforcement. Right now they have the right to confiscate a violaters' gear, even their boat or truck. Most of the time however, all anyone gets is a $50 fine. Stiffen the penalties and give a potential violator something to consider before he/she breaks the law.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would say its fine just the way it is. a 36 inch minumum would hurt the party charter boats on the west end where almost 95% of the the keeper size fish are 28-33 inches. a slot limit like jersey would be nice

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Agree with Flounder and the others - I'd rather have bigger fish than lots of small ones.

Already some people are discussing 36" fish as being "trophy bass". Sure hope that's not a sign of things to come. :(

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.