NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any good or bad info on a 31 Duffy with a 440 Yanmar.I know the 35 duffy is a great boat,but never here anything about a 31.I also here mix things about Yanmars.My buddy is thinking about the yanmar because he doesn't what a motor box and the yanmar fits under the deck.According to Duffy with the 440 you will get around 22knts crusie out of it which is what my friend wants.

Donald

·
Registered
867 Posts
my friend is selling a 31 jc with a 440 yanmar. hull is older but it was gutted and all new electronics and yanmar is from last summer. fast lobster boat with a lot of room

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.
Habs how many hours do you have on it.I haven't heard many bad things about yanmars.Most of what you read though is bs that ia why I asked for opinons from personal experienes.

Thanks
Donald

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Duffy

The 31 Duffy with a 440 yanmar will easily do 22 knots. I think it is a great power package for that hull and it will give you the best performance of all engine choices. Tall gearing is always a good performance factor when doing the job. minium of 2:0 and even maybe 2.5:1 should be looked at very closely.
The key to good performance is in the gearing. Keeled boats = the largest possible wheel turning slowly.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I love my yanmars!

I got a pair of 315 yanmars in a 33ft express pace and it is a heavy boat and i run around 23kts cruise and around 25-26kts full bore!!

I run cruise around 3400-3450 and run high at 3750-3800. they turn very nice and are quiet with alot of power and reliability..

I had a problem 2 yrs ago with my macerator seacok valve and i took on water 4 miles off of the beach.. i went into the galley to turn up the radio and i went into 3 feet of water.. i opened the hatches and the motors where covers in water! The entire boat was completely underwater except for the gunnells but the entire compartments underneath were covered and i was about 4 feet under water at the time.

One turn of the key the motors turned right over and had enough power to get me on plane!!

Had the water out of the boat in about 3 minutes and back to the dock!!

The only thing i had to do was replace the starters which wasnt even necessary i just did it because i wanted to do and didnt want any crystalization in them.. The rest of the motors were completely sealed and had absolutely nothing wrong with them at all.

Needless to say the boat came on dry dock for a few months and 40k later after all my upgrades it was sound and ready to fish...

2 days later the boat was in the Toms trolling 15 YFT and a 175lb BIgeyes!

HAHA

THANKS YANMAR!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have about 800 hours on my Yanmar. Lot's of Yanmars out here on eastern LI. Love it that I don't have an engine box smack in the middle of the cabin -- low profile engine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Twin yanmar 6cx-ete

Hi, I have a pair of 420 yanmars in my 38 with 2300 hrs on them. I have been very happy with the economy and reliability of the engines, despite where they are made. I have found the service here in RI to be very good, and parts are readily available. I would say that the parts are a bit more than what you would pay for cats or detroits, but I would say that the trade off is worth it. I dont like how much the detroits drink, and the 31xx cats had some quirky electrical issues from my anecdotal research amongst mechanics. I think you will be happy with the engine.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
loligo I'm not the one buying the boat,I'm asking for a friend.If there was an american made diesel that would fit under the deck without a motor box my friend would opt for that.

Donald

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys thanks for all the info on yanmars.Seems alot of people are happy with them.Does anyone have info on a 31 duffy.I know someone has to own one or knows someone with one.

Donald

·
Registered
867 Posts
after fishing on my friends 31jc with the 440 yanmar, it has lots of room and plows through anything. the jc and duffy are comparable, but i've heard the duffy is a little better in a following sea, but neither one is great, but i understand no downeasters are

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
31 duffy

KingKeith wrote:
the jc and duffy are comparable,
is this true? I didn't know that the 31 duffy was hard chined? The 31JC is supposed to be a nightmare in a following sea, but depends on power and the captain...
KingKeith wrote:
in a following sea, but neither one is great, but i understand no downeasters are
Not really true, the 36 northern bay is an excellent example of a downeast that's great in a following sea.

·
Registered
14 Posts
31 duffy

i own a 31 duffy with a 370 yanmar very happy with boat, it is soft chined ,in a following sea the boat will tell you how fast to go ,but i can tell you that i have passed main coasters and jc in some rough water. I feel the boat runs best around 19-21 knots but a cruse around 18 knots is very efficent and usually gets me fishing about the same time as the so called fast boats. I never got a ride in a duffy till i bought one.

·
Registered
201 Posts
KingKeith wrote:
after fishing on my friends 31jc with the 440 yanmar, it has lots of room and plows through anything. the jc and duffy are comparable, but i've heard the duffy is a little better in a following sea, but neither one is great, but i understand no downeasters are

Downeasters in a following sea= if you can't handle the heat, get out of the seat!!!

Seriously though, downeasters (especially hard chined) are quirky in a following sea: they get a push, grab a rail, and you have to ride it out. But IMHO the ride can be absolutely fine if you pay attention. If you watch what's going on and anticipate what the boat's gonna do you can pretty much totally negate the boats bad tendencies. A boat riding poorly in a following sea has a lot to do with sloppy driving

This post edited by blackdiamond296 11:47 AM 02/05/2008

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.