NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...When it comes to tuna, I was always a troll & chunk - overnighter kinda guy. With the increased popularity, A couple of my crew started messing with jigs this past season and we had a blast. I really found myself getting into it. Anyway, Im new to the world of jigging reels. Everyone has been saying Torsa torsa torsa and while it seems like a real nice reel, I dont know that im ready to drop 6 1/2 bills on one. Who knows.

So anyway, I was hoping you guys could post a list of 3 reel choices. Top notch, middle of the road, and entry level - along with approx retail prices. So I could get a better idea of whats out there.
Lets hear from ya. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
848 Posts
i have the accurate boss 6652speed i just recently bought for Japanese style jigging, and then i have a Penn 16vsx that i use for regular jigging for tuna i love both reels the vsx has proven its self to me. Penn also came out with a new torque which is also a sweet little reel made by Penn for jigging and spectra use. The one thing that Penn is doing right now is the vsx i have no complaints, or failure's on that series (knock on wood)i would defiantly buy another Vsx in the future.

Accurate 665 2spd.
Penn 16vsx
Penn Torque lever drag series.

Blake Conlin
tightlinzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
87 Posts
in the same boat

I too am looking at buying a good large game jigging reel. i have heard so many different things from numerous websites. I have used the torsa and very much liked it.
Money is an issue, but not significant; i want a reel that has the lowest probability of failure as i don't fish a ton. That said is the torsa worth almost 2x the money of a saltiga? I want a light reel as im not the strongest guy. I have looked at the torsa, saltiga, accurate 2speed... among others. Anyway, not trying to jack the thread, just saying that i am pondering the same question of what reel to buy? any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
High End Choices

Saltiga 50

Trinidad 40, or 50

Ocea Jigger 5000P

Some people dont like lever drag reels for jigging because of the constant need for freespool

Some lower priced Choices

Torium 40, 50-upgrade drag to Carbontex

Saltist 50

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
How about Daiwa MUGENN-ISHIDAI50HD
Only 100 will be made and the price is about $1500. :)

Left side cover, Handle arm, Handle shaft, and Drag stopper are the products made of titanium.
The diameter of a gear shaft is 10mm. (A standard model is 8mm. )
A drag tension can be adjusted according to a drag stopper attachment position.
(The drag stopper attachment position of six places )
If a handle is turned, drag power are up.
It changes to the drag tension set up when the handle was returned to the stopper position.

Model Gear Ratio Drag Weight Line capacity Ball bearing
40HD 4.9 15-20kg 725g PE 8.0-280m 16
PE10.0-200m
PE12.0-180m

50HD 4.9 15-20kg 760 PE 8.0-360m 16
PE10.0-260m
PE12.0-230m

50HD
27 oz reel with 33 - 44 lbs drag. Pretty impressive for a star drag reel.
It looks it is possible to adjust drag while fighting with drag stopper sttachment position even it is a star drag reel. It will be a big help to shorten fighting time. But it is a little bit expensive. :)

This post edited by KILSONG 10:53 PM 01/23/2008

·
Registered
676 Posts
For a "cheap" reel the diawa saltist is great. I got this reel the first week it came out about 3 years ago and have caught everything from cod+tiles to halibut+tunas. Best bang fort he buck. Get the 40 for 50 and load it with 65 or 80lb braid, add 20ft of 60 or 80lb mono and your set. The only sells for 179.99-189.99 so your have some oney left over to buy a nice rod. Saltist gets the same drag and its more expensive brother saltiga 22lbs major difference is in the body saltiga has a stronger frame. But with 30-70lb fish being the norm you wont have a problem with the saltist.

·
Registered
509 Posts
star drag

star drag is the way forward. the lever drag on my shiny new 665 2 speed a disappointing retrograde.

Listen to what PeterK814 says, he's given you good choices.

My pick would be a saltist 50 with upgrades (PM tunatoys). That will be less than $300. Use the money you save on the reel to buy a Graphite-USA Wahoo Jr.- send a PM Paul708. Your buddies who spend $600 on Torsas are gonna feel pretty dumb when they try your new rig.

This post edited by dhoperos 09:05 AM 01/24/2008

·
Registered
509 Posts
great minds think alike...

angrymahia wrote:
For a "cheap" reel the diawa saltist is great. I got this reel the first week it came out about 3 years ago and have caught everything from cod+tiles to halibut+tunas. Best bang fort he buck. Get the 40 for 50 and load it with 65 or 80lb braid, add 20ft of 60 or 80lb mono and your set. The only sells for 179.99-189.99 so your have some oney left over to buy a nice rod. Saltist gets the same drag and its more expensive brother saltiga 22lbs major difference is in the body saltiga has a stronger frame. But with 30-70lb fish being the norm you wont have a problem with the saltist.

fools seldom differ!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Bluefish9 - I'am not following you LOL

Torsa - good reel but like you said it's pricey - downside no strap lugs

Trinidad - good light reel - downside may need higher drag

- sounds like you have your own boat so if you have the room and you want to have some fun - look at the shimano Tunnas spinner with a spinner meat pole. Couple that with 40 lb braid and you can really have some fun.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am a kind of cheap when it comes to fishing equipment, so for less than $200, I would look at:

Saltist 40 ($140-160) with Carbonex Drags ($20) and extra bearing ($10). You can get the Saltist 50, but the 40 will hold close to 400 yards of 100lb braid with limited backing. The upgrades can be done by anyone with just basic skills quite easily.

My other cheap choice would be the Penn 113HN (Baja Special).
Penn recently discontinued this model, but there are plenty out there. You should be able to find one pretty easily in the $160-$180 range. It cast jigs better than any star drag reel that I have ever owned (even my saltist 30T & 40), cranks like a winch and will hold more braid then you should ever need. The only upgrade that I feel would be needed is replacing plastic star drag knob with the metal one ($20) that is used on the torque reels. Even though it is discontinued and like many older model Penn's, parts should be available for the 113HN for quite some time and since it is a close cousin to the regular Penn Senator, getting it serviced will not be a problem.

Both reels have superb casting ability and with the upgrades, they are similar in performace with main difference being the Saltist 40 is lighter (24oz vs 29oz for the Baja) while the Baja has a better handle and more cranking power.
Todd

This post edited by thatstodd2 10:06 AM 01/24/2008

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
dhoperos wrote:
Your buddies who spend $600 on Torsas are gonna feel pretty dumb when they try your new rig.

Very well put. Torsa is the lame duck of the Shimano line up. Probably the very worst bang-for-the-buck reel of all time. Sadly, it doesn't stop it from being an effective sucker magnet. If you feel that a Saltist is just too pedestrian of a reel, and want to impress your friends, then get a Shimano OJ5000P. It's an excellent reel with great tackle ho' appeal. Quite a bit cheaper than the Torsa, and all the cool people have them.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Was usimg a Saltiga 40 this year and loved it, some people will say to step up to the 50, but the 40 fit my needs and had an ample amount of 80lb braid for jigging the "normal" YF tuna we have here in the NE. I too have heard good things about both the Penn Baja and the Saltist but did not catch anything of significance on them when I tried other peoples. It is definitely a matter of budget and personal opinion, but many tried and true popular reels have been mentioned above.

This post edited by Fishgeg 05:07 PM 01/24/2008

·
Registered
212 Posts
I plan on using my Avet LX 4:1 with 80ld diawa color line on my new style travela 80-200 rod. If I feel I don't have enough of drag I will probably go with a 16vsx with either jb 130 hollow marked with a sharpie every 25 ft or diawa line. I may put the 16vsx on the travela or buy a grafighter or super seeker then which can be used for an all around offshore rod, even bottom fishing. My best recommendation is try to use a setup before buying it, and listen to the products track record. On the lever drags 16vsx has the most success, and the star drag saltiga seem to be bullet proof. I wish alutecnos made the gorilla a 2 speed that would be sweet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.