NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is looking for a twin diesel sportfisherman in the 28-32' range. We have looked at Black Fin, Phoenix, Topaz, Luhrs and Rampage. The budget is under 100K so we have been looking at boats between 1985-1993. We fish offshore and want canyon range so are gas engines out of the question? Any thought about the pros and cons of express or convertibles? Any input would be greatly appreciated there are so many makes and models to choose from.
Tight lines, Jim

· Registered
6 Posts
sawbelly, i have a luhrs 290 open with twin gas 350's. With the 300 gallon capacity of fuel, i definately have canyon range capability. i like the express or open models since i can get to the fishing quickly. it burns at about 24 g/hr at 23 knots and gas prices are killers on long trips.

the boat is a little light for it's size and rocks a bit from the deep cut hull. it rides great when cruising in the rough stuff. it's weigh has always been something i'd like to change, but all in all, it's a great fishing boat. you could definately pick one up for under 100k. hope this helps

· Registered
165 Posts
A friend has a 28' Topaz w/twin volvo diesels. It SIPS fuel & rides nice. It rocks a little, but that's the trade off for being able to get out & back without pounding the boat (& yourself) to pieces. You can get one from 45-65K.

Joe Sanzone

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Carolina Classics are nice but be careful which engines are in them. My friends uncle has had more troubles than he can count with a 28 rigged with Cummins engines. It is 2 years old and has been in the shop more than not. Something to do with the injectors.
Tight lines, Jim

G

·
This is my buddys 28 Topaz :

http://yachtworld.com/listing/yw_listing_detail.jsp?checked_boats=941107¤cy=USD&units=Feet

Its an '82 , he wants $39,900 Its a real nice boat with twin Volvo diesels , its up in Mass
PS If that link doesnt work just go here http://yachtworld.com/boats/index.html.en
and paste the info in, it will come up
Also I know where there is a 31 Rampage express for sale in R.I. for under 90 grand (I think) that has a lot of new electronics on it as well as new motors.
Just email me if your interested.

This message was edited by Raven on 1-18-02 @ 10:09 PM

· Registered
130 Posts
My buddy in Florida has a 28' Carolina Classic with twin inboard Volvo diesels. Beautiful boat, never any engine trouble. This will probably be my next boat.

Express vs. Convertible.

Express- easier to get to the fish on the troll, you can fish & dock alone easier. While trolling, you can put the boat on autopilot & still keep watch from the ****pit. You lose the nice salon. Cleanup after a good tuna trip is very intense (lots of surface area).

Convertible- comfortable for cruising overnight, nothing better than piloting a bridge boat (testerone). But someone has to stay up in the bridge all the time, usually you- while the boys haul 'em in down below. I think the cleanup time is cut in half ( if you train the crew not to go in the salon all bloodied up).

I love them both, but I wish someone made a big pilothouse that combined the virtues of both, in a planing hull. Closest I have seen is the Albin.

-Bill

· Registered
64 Posts
Take a look at the 28' Albemarle with twin jackshafts. Carolina Classics were cloned from Albies. One of the other trade pubs had one with twin diesels for sale a couple of issues ago...think it was Tred Barta's old boat. You might look for a used 30' (model 305) also...one without the tower should be about in your price range.

· Registered
1,928 Posts
You have a list of options as I recently was in the market for an upgrade from my Grady. If you check the fisherman this week- there is a 27 Whaler with twin 300 HP Yanmar Diesels. **** thing cruises at 29 knots - sipping fuel.
Fully loaded I think the asking price is 69,000.

You could also lookinto getting a 28 Rampage from the mid to late eighties for rougly 45K and then repowering it with Yanmar diesels. Twin 230 - 240 HP Yanmars will push the 28 Rampage to mid twenty knot cruise while bruning almost nilch in fuel.

28 Topaz is also a really nice option. Find one with diesels or find a project boat with gas engines and re-power to diesel.

By far though, my favorite boat is the 28 Carolina Classic. The 28 albemarle is a close second, but the beam and wide bow flare of the CC nudges it above the Albie- at least in my book. But ****, comparing the CC and the albie is like Comparing Rolls Royce and Bentley.

· Registered
1,928 Posts
Henriques !!!

I can't believe I forgot that one. They are terrific boats and perhapes the best bang for the buck in terms of quality, performance, etc in the boating business. I think a new one costs 147,000 loaded, even with a tuna tower. Comapre that to others and they don't come close.

· Registered
252 Posts
henriques is right on the money.

there's one in Jersey for 99000 with twin diesels. sweetboat, does an honest 17-18 knots. if your looking for canyon range, the whaler will kill your ribs.

also, for 100000, i'd also consider a 38 foot young bnrothers or H&H

go to www.commercial-fisheries.com

lots of good stuff there.

don't forget about resale value. ;lots of 31 bertrams available lately. stay away from gas engines.

good luck.

GG

· Registered
64 Posts
The Henriques is a good choice. Had a chance to sea trial one when they first came out. Blue bird day with flat ocean didn't give means to really see how she handled in the nasty stuff. The only thing we didn't like was the weight...or lack of it. It's only 10,500 pounds where the CC and Albie are both around 15,000 lbs. You could feel the lightness in the ride...kinda "skitterish" under your feet, if you know what I mean.

· Registered
1,928 Posts
I looked at that Henriques in Jersey, and it does about 19-20 knots cruise. That boat however has the twin 170 hp Yanmars in it- and seems to be really laboring to be running at that speed.

If your going to get the Henriques- get the 28 with twin 230 or 240 hp Yanmars.

Dolphin had a good suggestion about getting a Downeast style boat. They are like tanks, but the drawback is single engine.

· Registered
110 Posts
Best Boat Ever Built

That's what fisherman say about the Bertram31. 'Soundings' ran a 5 page article about the boat in 1998. Because of the article I bought one.
David Pasco gave it 5 stars and he doesn't like anything.
How come these boats( mine's 30 yrs old) go for so much money??
""You can't fool all the people all the time"". The boat was first built in the early 60's.
Check 'em out on <bertram31.com>

· Registered
1,928 Posts
The 31 Bert is a great boat, and ranks amoung the best, but one can't generalize and say it's the best. Fact remains, any deep-vee hull that is solidly built will run like or better then a Bertram 31. Bertram 31's are very wet boats, and they role like ****. A similarly built and above cited Carolina Classic will not role as much and will run comparably or better then the 31 Bert. Like wise is so with Blackfin's and Albemarle, Regulator etc.

Kudos to Ray Hunt for his design, in which Richard Bertram was first to implement it on the 31 Bertram Moppie in 1960.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.