NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Billy Turnbull is having continued success with daytime Swordfishing. On Saturday Billy, Andrew Dean and Joe Kasenchak (Of Suffolk Lock & Security) caught 3 fish that day releasing the first two and keeping the third. The 209 was caught in the day and fought into the night. The fight lasted 3:40 with Joe Kasenchak on the rod the entire time. Andrew Dean threw the Poon and as always Billy Turnbull rigged the bait and captained the boat.

Call me or PM me if you would like to join Captain Billy Turnbull on a day trip of a lifetime Swordfishing in Duck Key Fl.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
SFUSA

Sportfishingusa wrote:
How big is that boat he fishes on?!? That things looks like a 15ft whaler?

You aren't from our area, so you probably don't know or haven't heard of BT. Funny you should mention "15' Whaler" since he once caught a 309 mako 20 miles from Fire Island Inlet on one!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Swords during the Day

I'm reading a book by Zane Grey (prolific western writer from the '20s and avid/pioneering sportfisherman) where he has photos and consitently writes about catching swords during the day time trolling and how he frequently saw them at the surface. I will be posting an in depth about his fishing writing/conquests at a later date; its truly fascinating to read about him setting world records for tuna and marlin and swordfish in the 1920s using silk line!

So swordfish (at least at one time) were often caught in broad daylight near the surface.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Day Swordfishing

NanbayFluker wrote:
How is he getting them during the day??? I thought swords are best fished during the night?
They're probably deep dropping in 1000's of ft, using electric reels. Also, all the xommercial guys who dart swords are doing that during the day.

·
Registered
331 Posts
clementine wrote:
NanbayFluker wrote:
How is he getting them during the day??? I thought swords are best fished during the night?
They're probably deep dropping in 1000's of ft, using electric reels. Also, all the xommercial guys who dart swords are doing that during the day.

Why would you own multi thousand dollar reels yet fish offshore on a little whaler?

·
Administrator
112,303 Posts
NanbayFluker wrote:
clementine wrote:
NanbayFluker wrote:

Why would you own multi thousand dollar reels yet fish offshore on a little whaler?

cheaper on fuel

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
NanbayFluker wrote:
What kind of a question is that? Maybe he doesn't have the money to buy a muli-hundred thousand dollar boat. Or maybe he just wants to fish on a smaller vessel. Personally i think it's sort of making a statement. also it's more exciting to fish from a small boat.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
great job

great job billy, you sure know your s--t, my fishing buddy jimmy is looking to get out with you if your down there in april.hes been talking about it for the last 3 weeks.
carl
offracing

·
Registered
867 Posts
nanbay fluker, i used to fish 20-30 miles out on my 17 aquasport. with 4 50tw i think between the rod/reels, and gaffs, the equipment was worth as much as the boat. i have pics of a 100+ mako and a 184 mako wedged between the console and the side of the boat. i did it becasue i could afford the rods and reels but couldn't afford a bigger boat until a year ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.