NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m sure we`ve all heard about the proposals for the 2008 blackfish season. I`m not pleased with them but I can deal with it.What I`m not happy with is that the commercial boys basically have no restrictions per se.The future of this fishery is definitely in jeopardy.The Asian live blackfish market is making commercial,lobster AND recreational fisherman catch more than their quota of blackfish.In the western sound I`ve witnessed fished caught and penned to be sold later to offset fishing`s expenses.(gas,etc.)The only true way to stop the demise of the blackfish fishery is to stop the live market. There has to be a way for the DEC or other department to deter this crime.Why should the honest recreational fisherman always pay the prce?
Below is an article from another website with perhaps an answer to our problem.Please follow up if you can.Thanks.

Stop The Blackfish Cut Backs

Letter Writing to Politicos On Blackfish Cuts!! I have always preached writing letters to politicians to let them know where you and we stand on fisheries issues is always important. I have always stood against the form letter, the petition and such forth because politicians have told me directly that a simple heartfelt handwritten paragraph is much more effective.

In this case I am actually going to beak tradition and post a form letter that you MUST print out, type it you have to your own letterhead, hand write it..I don?t care but it has to be done.

This Blackfish closing has got to be stopped. It is not rec?s or pinhooking comm?s hurting the industry for blackfish, it is the Asian market, the roller gear and the destruction of habitat that is the culprit.

I personally feel in this blackish matter the DEC of NY has been too lax for too long on this subject and they take the easy way out?cut the rec?s, cut the party boats and let?s pretend the fish pots, the fish traps and the live Asian market doesn?t exist. There are underground tunnels and full blown aquariums in Chinatown and other Asian markets that the DEC can?t find where they keep thousands of pounds of live blackfish on hand and many of them shorts as well.

Why is the DEC not mandating the closure of the live fish market in NY State? Why do they not cut down the fish pots and fish traps, many of which are on artificial reefs built with your tax dollars? It is out of control and it has got to be stopped where the most damage is being done?the live fish market and roller gear.

But no, the easiest thing for the DEC and the Fed?s is cut down the recreational fishery where they can stop them easily in their boat slips. Let?s not get in a boat and haul gear off reefs to see if it is legal or not?and if not confiscate it? No instead let?s take the easy way out and check rec?s coming off party boats at the slips, cut down the number of fish being taken on party boats with sever cutbacks etc. Bull crap

So with this I give you a form letter to start sending to as many people as you can and YES an e mail is just as effective as a snail mail in these cases.

New York State is about to implement an emergency ruling which will drastically cut the Blackfish season and catch limits. The recreational fishing industry will be the only sector affected. The commercial sector will not have its catch limits reduced. This is unfair and unnecessary. Please act now to prevent this from happening by emailing the following letter (Or a letter directly from you) to the 2 email addresses
[email protected] & [email protected]

You have the power to try and prevent the proposed changes. The more emails received by the NY State DEC the better.

Sample letter

To: Mr. James Gilmore
Director Fisheries and Wildlife NYS DEC

Dear Mr. Gilmore,
I am writing to you today to express my deep concern about the proposed changes in the Blackfish bag limit in New York State. The proposed emergency ruling that will cut the retention limit by approximately 29% will be borne by the recreational side only. This proposed change is unfair as it should be shared equally by both the recreational and the commercial fishing sector.

Although the reported catch by the commercial side appears low at first glance, this is in fact incorrect. The entire practice of selling live Blackfish by the commercial sector goes almost completely unreported. Therefore this catch from the underground Live Blackfish market is not being considered.

I propose that the reduction in the catch limit be shared equally by both the recreational and commercial side. This will ensure that anglers will continue to be able to catch Blackfish for their own consumption. It would also ensure that party boats will be able to continue to offer Blackfish trips as an economically viable option.

Yours truly,
INSERT YOUR INFO BELOW

Anglers name
Address
Contact phone number

AND MAKE SURE YOU GIVE YOUR CONTACT INFO!!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
a fair amount of opinion there flonderbound. have you followed any of the other threads around regarding this issue? you may want to visit the 10 pager in the "in the wheelhouse with ec" board entitled "a (chinatown) fish story-blackfish".

http://www.noreast.com/discussion/viewTopic.cfm?topic_ID=102080

dont get me wrong, i think its admirable to take a stand and urge people to get involved by writing letters to their elected officials. im just concerned that your anger may be directed at the wrong groups.

·
Registered
352 Posts
FLOUNDERBOUND,with all due respect you have no clue whats going on.DO YOU KNOW THAT THE REC/COMM SECTOR IS 90%/10%.Commercial boys basically have no restrictions per SE...OH YEAH HOW ABOUT 25 FISH PER DAY,PER BOAT..1 TRIP PER BOAT!!!I GUESS THAT AIN'T A RESTRICTION?????YOU ARE ONE CLULESS PERSON..DO SOME HOME WORK. YOUR WRITING SKILLS SUCK AND SO DOES YOUR BLANKET LETTER!I AM HOWEVER GOING TO SEND YOUR LETTER RIGHT TO THE HEAD........MAYBE I'LL PRINT IT AND USE IT FOR **** PAPER.HATE TO BE SO HARD ON YOU BUT I CAN'T STAND PEOPLE THAT HAVE NO IDEA,AND PEOPLE THAT WANT TO FLAP THEIR JAWS ABOUT STUFF THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A CLUE ABOUT.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
do like i do just catch and eats what you can , this is jus an unfair game, some of these rules is just stupid, the dec can kiss my $$$$ i am going to catch and eats my fare share, they lucky i dont eat flukes, because i would eats my fare share also.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
commfish,
With NO due respect the main point of my discussion was to do something about the live market. If you reread my article I was putting the blame for the demise of the blackfish on the greed of commercial,lobster AND recreational fisherman.It sounds like you are a commercial fisherman and if I struck a nerve,so be it.Like I said,I`ve witnessed lobster and recreational fisherman with dozens of blackfish in their posession in the western sound.Relax,commfish. I`ve never actually seen commercial fisherman surpass their quota and I`m SURE they never would. I fished the 17 fanthom area,an area known for great blackfishing,in December and January.It was definitely an off year at that location.Maybe the trawlers with their rolling gear had something to do with it.As far as the letter is concerned,it can`t do any harm as long as it`s used appropiately.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
THE ROUGHEST SEASON YET~

The letter comes from RICHARD JOHNSONs 'FISHING LINE' site, who seems to be a few years late and many dollars short.

As usual, another uninformed, johnny come lately, who has not done his homework, to find out what the underlying problems with this fishery are.

EC NEWELL MAN<>

This post edited by EC NEWELL MAN 07:33 PM 01/30/2008

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
flonderbound wrote:
commfish,
With NO due respect??

Whats that all about? You throw out this big wordy, preachy, I'm a rec and I'm a great guy thing and for what?:rolleyes:

It sounds like you've got some reading to catch up on;)

This was much better covered and discussed over at The Wheelhouse

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
EC NEWELL MAN wrote:
The letter comes from RICHARD JOHNSONs 'FISHING LINE' site, who seems to be a few years late and many dollars short.

Well, That explains a lot. I guess Rich doesn't bother to look in this section or the wheelhouse when he visits here (and he does visit often).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.