NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a Yamaha service tech today and he warned me about using anything except YAMA-LUBE
2 cycle oil and their decarbon additive in the fuel.I want to protect my new investment but almost fell off the chair when I saw the price of a gallon of yama-lube. Any of you 250-OX66 owners have any thoughts on this, speaking from experience? I thought TCW-3 was the standard.

This message was edited by Makomagic on 3-4-02 @ 6:29 PM

·
Registered
66 Posts
GLENN:

Find someone who has a friend that works at a boat yard. Yama- oil out of a
55gal. drum is only $8.oo per gal. RING_FREE is
a must. IF you want to keep that motor . I believe
he is talking about the warranty. IF they fine
you have been useing junk oil - out the window it go's.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
The best prices I have where from Accurite Marine in Bohemia, off Vets Hgwy by the airport. I paid $12.50 a gallon for bulk. That is if you have your own contanier they will fill it. There prices are reasonable even for the ring free. I bought a case in the beggining of the season last year and used the same containers. They also are a certified Yamaha and Merc dealer. The downside is that if you want fast service you must have a trailer to get your boat there.
I bought my Parker with a 200 HPDI from White Water. When I wanted a break in check up it was going to take 10-14 days to get the boat to WW sevice. Accurate did it in 3 days and did a great job. I even had them winterize the engine. There prices are very reasonable and the service is great.
There phone # is 589 5502. I would like to get that $8 a gallon oil but not on LI. Believe I looked all over. You are right about using the Yamaha lube. If they find foriegn oil they can cancell your warrenty. Depending on what series motor you have they can also hook it up to a lap top and see how you have run the engine. It breaks it down into different RPM ranges and show how many hours you ran it in any range, so be aware on break in.
Good luck with your new rig.
bcmeyer

·
Registered
287 Posts
My buddy was in the same situation. The Y.lube was expensive but he didnt want to mess around with the warranty. Best he did was buy it in bulk, not sure of the price but it was cheaper than buying the case, I believe it was in Bohemia. Wasnt easy to find either, he called 5 places before he found some. Bring your own container.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I was paying 10 a gal. for OMC bulk 2 yrs. ago, I'd love to find the 8.oo a gal. Yamalube think he's a little off on that price. Yesterday I payed 17.95 factory gal. container of yamalube @ Fred Challs to give you an idea of the price.
I read in Yamaha owners manual to use Yamalube or TCW 111 equalivant for what thats worth.
The Yamalube container states theres synthetic addatives for what ever thats worth also.
A trick I used to do with my Johnson is mix the OMC with another good name brand on sale to cut the costs.
hey Glenn.. bet that big 250 will suck it up big time, maybe you should look into a 55 gal. drum?
that should last a month or so!! LOL
You rich guys can swing it!!

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Mako,
Did you get this engine new? On break in the HPDI was 10 hours, what is yours? Once they do the 10 hour check they can adjust it into the right range. Yamaha sets them all high for the break in. Mine was absurd but once broke in it was fine.
Good luck and try Accurate for your oil and ring free. Take a look at your plugs when you have the first service just to see if they are loaded up with oil from the setting being so high.

bcmeyer

·
Registered
66 Posts
one-gal. fact. container=16.00

one-gal. from drum =7-8.00 depends
on who is pumping that day.

55 gal. drum
tax
shp.
deposit on drum
etc.===435.00-465.00
that depends on how many are shp.
at one time. and thats at the
employee's discount. I don't know
what the yard pays. This is what i
paid last fall.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Hey capesman, we are in NY. we have all these funky lubricating taxes here. If you by a case of regular motor oil they hit you for 10 cents a guart lubricating tax. Pretty wild. You just about stole yours, we are not that lucky here.

bcmeyer

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I read an article in Salt Water Sportfishing magazine about 5mo. back. They brought up the issue of Manuf. oil or aftermarket oil. Though they didn't test any outboards they stated the manuf. must honor the warrantee as long as you have used TCW-3 outboard oil.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
All of these replys have a valid point. But lets think about it. You spend all this money on a fine engine and are you willing to take the chance of cancelling your warranty for the sake of a couple of bucks. We have the engine now and have to live with the extras. The oil and ring free should of been brought out when the we bought these engines, but as usual the sales people will tell you anything you want to hear. I suggest that you contact Yamaha and ask them what there policy is. The engine is great and to keep it that way try to stay within the guidelines. There controls and gauges however are *^[email protected]#$**.
I don't like the controls because they lack a trigger guard for shifting into gear and ther gauges have lot to be desired.
A lesson to all of Yamaha owners, just because the engines are good doesn't mean that evrything is good that goes along with it.
BUY BULK and save, I do.

bcmeyer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.