NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Capt. Neil,
I am looking to purchase a surf rod for baitfishing for blues/stripers..I was wondering if a one piece rod has an advantage(like distance casting or sensitivity) over a 2-piece rod or vice versa..I am looking into a 10ft rod that can hold about upto 8oz plus bait for the south shore..
Thank You
James

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi BigRexInc,
Many years ago a 2 pieceaurf rod was a kiss of death. The ferrules were terrible and as you cast you could feel that it was a 2 piece rod.
The ferrules were made of metal.

Todays 2 piece rods are much superior. The ferrules are made of the same material as the blank. The fit is exceptional and it is very difficult to determine a 1 piece from a 2 piece rod if you were blindfolded while casting.

Sometimes equal blanks can cast alittle more weight if it is the 1 piece. Depends on construction of blank.

I would not hesitate to own a 2 piece surf rod today.

Here is a Lamiglas factory rod that might work for you, XS 10 MHC (Conventional), XS 10 MHS (spin), both 2 piece rated 3-8 oz, 17-40# line.

XS 101 MHC is 1 piece rated the same as 2 piece.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankx Capt.
I appreciate the advice..I am new to this whole surf fishing thing and I figure Knowledge from Experts equals Power to a guy like me just starting out..
BigRexInc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.