NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a bad idea. But has anyone put a lightweight girlfriend on the front or back of their kayak for short trips around protected bays and suck in the western sound? I like fishing with my girlfriend but I dont want to buy a 2 person kayak. And I DEFINITELY do not want to fish from shore anymore. I have lost access to a few great spots and I NEED to get out there in the kayak.. Thanks. P.S. Im 220 lbs and shes half of that soaking wet with rocks in her pockets.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I agree. You definitely answered your own question as Fishbust reiterated.

In the summer it would be hilarious for you to circle back and tell us how you made out. She would have to lay down to reduce the high center of gravity and it may work if she is in the front in a swimming pose and maybe help paddling too. I picture myself as a kid when I would take X friends next to the swimming area to see how many we could pile in my dingy before it would go under. We would then use it as an exercise to see if we could bail it out and get stable again.

On a serious note I would not attempt this until the water was at least 65+ and you had a play day session with no gear and PFD's. You need to make sure you can get back on WHEN it flips or at least know you both can swim back from wherever you are coming from. The biggest concern after your safety would be the gear. I started with the tandem and it's all I use even alone. It may be the right investment or an easy swop.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. i guess I was tryin to figure out HOW bad of an idea it was. Which tandem should I look into that I can paddle solo too? I dont have the budget for 2. thanks again

·
Registered
929 Posts
Try the Ocean Kayak MALIBU 2. I use one as a single and I also have room for a couple of my kids if they want to ride.

Maybe you can have your GF paddle you around while you cast or troll.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
JaeVee wrote:
..............has anyone put a lightweight girlfriend on the front or back of their kayak for short trips around protected bays and suck in the western sound?
I can't see anything wrong with this senario....Go for it,..................... I've done it in a Zodiac....

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
She is a light weight girlfriend now. What happens when you marry her and she becomes the overweight fat wife?;)

Seriously. Save your pennies and get a two person kayak or buy her her own single.

·
Registered
184 Posts
double occupancy

go to mokai.com click on video and wait until the end you'll see two people cruising around in one unit. looks like a blast if you have the extra cash.
a bit expensive

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
not a great choice...but

they are around...
the COBRA Fish and Dive has a molded seat up front for a 2nd passenger and is as stable as they come ( not fast but stable) as well as a 600lb load capacity...

look @ it.

better yet rent one and try it...

pd

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Tamdem yaks are known as divorce kayaks :)
You want to go thataway...
and the spouse wants to go thisaway...
Get 2 and go your own way

As for putting the girlfriend on the single kayak and trying to make it work

Thats tough and these kayaks are not very good at loading a person on front or back to lug around.

Kayaking is for the most part a solitary endeavor.Your on your own 99% of the time.Meaning most times your out and about by yourself.
That is one of the things I enjoy most about the kayaking stuff...
being alone and not dealing with anyone or anything other that the splash of my paddle taking me where I'm headed.
To me the paddle against the water is what its all about.I can make the kayak dance ...and the paddle is my dancing partner.
I'm not a very good dancer tho

But I'll admit I find the kayaking part much more relaxing than the fishing part.
Thats just me tho.
Its great to want the GF along but in my opinion she would have alot better time in her own kayak to go and do what she wants when she wants.

This post edited by PaddleOn 10:02 PM 02/29/2008

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.