NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, caught my first weakfish on the shinne**** canal today.

Caught 3, one broke my 15# line... So I switched to my 25# setup which worked wonders.

The first one actually brought up was 32" which I kept. Was over 10#'s, but don't know exact weight. All I had was an old freshwater scale that went to 10#'s, but it surpassed that by a lot.

The second fish was 30" and I gave that to a man that helped me net them.

Wish I would've brought it to Altenkirch's for an official weight, but was too excited and wanted to get home to show it off to my mom and dad.

The coolest thing was happenning though, when I got the fish to the top of the water near the net, 2 more weaks kept showing up, too bad we couldn't grab them all... I will post a pic as soon as the roll of film is developed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I had the drag too tight, set at half the line's breaking strength. But I was also letting the fish get close to the canal edge and was dragging my line on the concrete lips, so that might've caused it......

Weakfish is mighty tasty too, just finished dinner.. Might head back down there tonight to see if anything's going on.....

IBEW, do you know when the locks are closed? Is it at high tide in Peconic Bay or Shinne****? Or is it determined some other way?

·
Registered
300 Posts
From what I hear the local tackle shop
just south of the canal has info at what
times the canal closes.
I hear you can call them up and find out what times.
I forget the name of the tackle shop though.
Same thing happend to me at Port jefferson fishing the outflow at (LILCO)
I had hooked into a gorrila blue and I was trying to get him over by the rocks but by the time I realized what was going on it was too late.
My line had rubbed against the concrete
platform and snapped. Thats what I got for being impatient. Learned my lesson though.

Local #1049

·
Registered
21 Posts
Locks closed early today because of the wind

Thats why all the guys showing up at 6pm looked confused. Caught yours about 430pm? Someone had a 20# striper this am. Yesterday am was hot for weaks. The canal is loaded with shad and short fluke. Some blues too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheesypoof

Poof, when I started to fish the current was pretty stong... I just let my lure head south on the canal, and when it got around 10 feet from the wall, I would jig it around and they would nail it by the wall.....

When the current started to slow down, I wasn't hitting anymore.... Although one half of a grub was chomped in half....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The current was moving pretty fast, was using probably 1.25 ounces... I was using the lightest lure weight out of everyone there at the time. The people who were running on the bottom were getting into blues it seemed, people keeping their lure off the bottom, almost in the upper half of the water seemed to be hitting the weaks harder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.