NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very partial to Ugly stiks, and I want to know what you all think about a 15 footer for south shore chunk casting. Bunker chunks mostly
I have been using an 11 footer Ugly stik with a nice Diawa Longcast reel loaded with Power Pro line--50 Lb, 12 Lb mono daimeter. This combo works great, but I am interested to know if I can see any distance gain with the extra footage on the rod. My current ugly has some whip and can be used for casting lures too, but the 15 footer looks too stiff for that job. I would be using the 15 footer only for chunk casting, my idea is also to have a bit more hight on the line going out to the water, to help keep the line out of the crashing breakers.
OK, so what do you folks think?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also use an 11 foot ugly with a cheap DAIWA for chunks.I do pretty good but I'm changing from mono to fireline 20lb test(8lb dia.) for this season.Maybe you can try downsizing that powerpro to a lower lb.test first.I think that 15foot is going to be a little too heavy at least for me.Good Luck

·
Registered
457 Posts
You might want to opt for an extra tall sand spike to keep your line over the waves. I doubt the extra length of the pole will add distance. If anything, the increased resistance from line passing over the additional guides will probably decrease your distance. To increase your distance when chunking, you might consider one of those bait clips they use in Europe.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
re: 15 footer and gear

Bait clips that are used in europe? I have no idea what they even look like--more info about these bait clips would be useful thanks. I was thinking about a modified snad spike myself, please keep the ideas coming--thanks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I never used a bait clip myself, I think I saw them in a catalog from the Surfcaster. The idea is to clip your bait up the line, next to your sinker. That will prevent your cast from cartwheeling, and the clip is supposed to release when the rig hits the water. Personally, I think distance is over rated (then again, who hasn't had a school smashing bait just out of range?).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Last year I bought 2 bait rigs at The Sports Authority that sounds like the bait clips being discussed.

I took my awhile to figure out how to use them, but when I finally got the gist of them, they worked really well.

My bait now goes approximately twice as far now.

Sorry, I can't remember the name of it.

I

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. The rigs that you are talking about are made by breakaway, SA had them at one point, but I'm not sure if they still do. They can be ordered online though, http://www.breakawayusa.com/pages/cost-98.htm

A 15 foot rod will definately DEcrease your distance. I don't even know why they make those things. Competition long distance casters never use a rod that is longer than 13 feet in length, that is about the longest you can go to achieve distance and these are in the hands of people who are pros. If a longer rod gave them more distance they would use them. Use a taller spike if you want to keep the lines over the waves.

Lastly, I have never had a chance to compare this first hand, but I keep hearing that mono is actually better than braid of fireline for fishing bait, reason being that since the line stretches it doesn't pull the sinker out of the sand.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Too much rod!!

I don't think the length will be any help. In fact I feel it will only hurt your distance,because it will slow your swing. I think if you switch to an all graphite stick you'll do much better. If you could afford to go custom you'd be alot better off.

Ralph78

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi,

Just had this discussion this morning with an excellent surf caster.

I see these long rods in stores and they cost less than $50.00. It would not be for me BUT to each his own.

I think it is safe to say that a good surf caster can cast a 10' graphite, correctly made, further than these long rods. It will also be a better rod.

The idea of long sand spikes is a great idea. They were being sold at the Lindenhurst flea market and I am sure your local tackle shop sells them.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bass Pro Shops "Ocean Master" Surf Rod

An interesting chunk rod to look at is listed in Bass Pro Shops "Offshore Angler" book.

The rod is a well made graphite composite double wrapped "cork taped handle" rod. It runs for about $119.00 on the twelve foot conventional and spin rods and $109.00 on the 11 foot spinner.

These rods have a very progressive loading action much more forgiving than a twelve foot Ugly Stick and recover very quickly on the cast.

They have a custom made rod look and feel with off the rack price. They also have a thinner profile than Ugly Sticks.

I find the leverage of attempting to cast with a rod over twelve feet usually shortens my cast. With a spinning reel anything over eleven feet seems to be difficult to get a smooth swing and rythmn in my cast causing me to attempt to "muscle" the rod more than than let the rods natural loading action do the work for me.

Lure weight on the Ocean Master rods is 4-7 on the eleven I believe and 5-9 on the twelve.

They also have a nice ten foot offering and an eight foot six offering. I do not recommend them as "lure rods" because they are heavier than the all graphite offerings most use.

These rods have proven to be as durable as my Ugly Stick over the years but are much more refined.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.