·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Commercial-Fishing Halt Is Urged for Georges Bank

NYT wrote:
By JOHN H. CUSHMAN JR.,
Published: October 27, 1994

Faced with a fishery on the verge of collapse, a Federal council today recommended virtually shutting down commercial fishing in the Georges Bank off Cape Code, once one of the world's richest fishing grounds.

While some fishing could continue, the council, the New England Fishery Management Council, directed its staff to come up with measures that would reduce the catch of cod, haddock and yellowtail flounder, the principal species sought on the Georges Bank, to as close to zero as practical.

Because many of the affected species are caught in the nets of vessels fishing for other species, the restrictions will cut deeply into all kinds of fishing, especially by those using small-mesh nets, which often kill juvenile groundfish before they can grow to market size.

seems like we haven't learned a thing......

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Morning JR....

I guess I have to break out all the old information I brought up on this topic over the last year.

I will do that when I get a few moments, but it goes to show you the actions of the New England Council at that time were in fact not as restrictive as they thought at that time. Boy I bet fishermen wish, they could go back to that time, both in the restrictions that were in place, and the amount of big fish you still could catch down on Georges and Nantucket.

EC NEWELL MAN<>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.