NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
3,311 Posts
Hello Myles.

If I were you and I lived that close to the action, I would have bought a boat at the very first sight of those monsters.

As far as trying to land one from the surf -you are going to need a ton of luck. When we attempt to catch giants from a boat, we actually use the boat itself to help tire & land the fish. This is how it works;

When a fish is hooked, if the vessel is anchored we attach a float to the anchor line and unhook the boat from the anchor so it is free to move. Then the captain will use the boat to fight the fish in several ways. He will often chase the fish with the boat to help the angler retrieve some of the fishing line. Other times, he will let the boat drift and let the fish tire from the pressure of towing the boat around the ocean. Finally, there is a method of circling the fish with the boat to help raise stubborn fish that refuse to surface.

When these great battles are successful, the fish are often landed MILES from where the hookup first occurred. Also, whenever a crew is too slow or unable to release the boat from anchor, giant bluefin will "spool" or completely strip all of the line off of their fishing reel. This happens to even the largest of big game fishing reels (130lb class reels).

So even if you are fortunate enough to hook one of those great giants from the surf, the likelyhood that the battle will last more than a few minutes is extremely rare.

· Banned
3,311 Posts
Billy40,

That's a good one!

You could not have said it any better. Down in the Florida Keys, 200lb+ tarpon often roam the marinas within casting distance of many fisherman. When they grab someone's line it's just like you said; zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz POP!. I've watched guys go down to the docks with standup tuna rods & 80 international reels spooled with 100lb test. It's still always the same song;zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz POP!. Either the line snaps or the hook pulls.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.