1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo guys,

My brother plans on heading up to the 1000 island area and is staying at
Cedar Point State Park in Clayton NY.

Need some help on fishing spot's and technics/lures for Smallies, Pike and Muskie for the middle of July?

He has a boat...

If someone could point me to a few website to checkout, that would be great, or email me at [email protected] ..

Any BB or chat urls for the area would also help?

Thanks in advance.

Jay

·
Registered
192 Posts
Lucky you!!

1000 Islands is a great place to fish.

Middle of July is whats working agianst you when it comes to Muskies anyway. It becomes a primaraly nighttime trolling fishery, and its hard to do that when you don't know the area very well.

I suggest you consider getting a guide for a day. Watch how he goes about it, what areas he consintrates on, what techniques, and then venture forth on your own.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What to bring?

Oh boy, your asking the wrong guy, cause I bring EVERYTHING when I go on a fishn trip..

6'-6" ML spinning rod
7' M to MH Baitcaster

Both w/ a reel with a good drag, I'd spool up with a good mono and use floro leaders, Lots of Zebra mussles and rock up there to get cut off on and the water is super clear.

You'll have Bass, Muskies, Pike and Catfish as your main targets.

Thats a good start.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Jay Ill share what Ive learned from the few muskies ive caught. 1. You may buy a few skunks before you get one. 2. FISH AT NIGHT with topwater lures...ive had my best luck with zara spooks, 3. Key in not so much on structure but bait concentration...I nailed 2 muskies one night as they were feeding on schools of perch in open water so see if u can locate some bait,Ive seen muskies push schools of perch like blues chasing bunker in the sound, this was also due to the full moon so try and plan around that if you can, I missed a monster one night as my buddy and i were out in my canoe consuming, he hit a zara spook as i retrieved it off a point...peeled line like a tuna then was just gone upon retrieving my spook i noticed a crack thet ran half the length of the lure and the rear treble hook was ripped right off the lure. It was an old model before they redesigned them and undid the flaws...make sure your tackle is in 100% condition! I will surely not make that mistake again. I caught 2 during the day...one took a jointed rapala perch pattern and the other yes another zara spook, I spotted the fish and threw a huge musky spinner at it about 4 times right over the bastards nose and it wouldnt flinch, tied on the spook, cast it, twitched it 3 or 4 times and the fish exploded..37 inches not bad. I took all these fish during the summer, june-august in front of my camp on second lake in Old Forge. Ill be there the two weeks following the Star Island tourney in june so im sure you will all hear about it. BEST OF LUCK!

Hood

·
Registered
1 Posts
what to bring

I've been to 1000 isles both the american and canadian sides of st lawrence. bring plenty of 5" grubs in white, red, black and motor oil type colors. Pike and smallies love them to death. also 1' rattle trap type things are great for bass. it's going to be plenty weedy up there at that time of year

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello Jay_From_Bay,

I am very familiar with Gananoque, Canada (1000 Islands) and the fishing is great during July!

I've only been fishing that area for over 27 years now… and it's a great fishing area for various species!
There is an abundance of smallmouth, largemouth, pike, walleye and even the channel and bull catfish!
As for the Musky fishing… I find it best during the late Sept. and October months.

As far as technique is concerned…. The standard weedless (texas rigs) worm style is deadly for Largemouth & Smallmouth bass, cranks and spinners are great for Northern Pike, plastic jigs and worms are excellent for walleyes (deeper water) and strips of fresh bait is excellent for those bull cats.

The key to fishing the July month is to fish very early (before first light) and the late sunset stages…
Also, aside from the great ….the place is scenic and a great getaway place.

Hey Gottog… I will be there the first week of July…. Let me know when you are going. ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
621 Posts
1000 islands

the crazy one ..is truely the man up there its true he has gone up every yearfor almost 30 years but you would think he was born and fishes there every day!!
what ever advice he gives you is going to be dead on..he and his brother can be guides up there!
max

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Al,
I'll be up there in August, the 2nd through the 9th. Just remember, you promised me a couple of maps and super-secret techniques ;)
This should be a good little vacation trip for me. Ma and 5 friends on a houseboat for a week...lots of relaxing, fishing, and, of course, much partying!!! I figure with that much time on the water I can get in the thousand casts needed to hook a muskie;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.