Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

Date posted March 23, 2009 6:39 AM
Posted by kringo64
Report location New York > Montauk > GREAT COD SEASON!!!!
Fishing method Boat
« Previous Report Next Report »

It was great while it lasted, I just happened to take one trip too many. I guess I was fortunate to be involved in the beginning and the end, and several sick trips in between. A season of historic fishing, one might say EPIC. I was committed this past Sat 3/21 for the Viking Starship local cod trip by a christmas gift certificate, under normal conditions I would not have gone. I knew the bite was over on 3/18, but went anyway. I wound up being high hook with 2 fish, 80 something guys and 4 fish total. The boat was great however, nice bunk area and great galley, so I slept and fed myself just fine. I was hoping for the pool ($460.00 1st prize, $250 2nd), but my 4 lb'er was too small, decent size ling. Time to reorganize and get ready for spring togs, and hope for a fluke season......Kevin R




weather was nice!!!!!

Buy your Noreast Media Text Ad Now!


  Comments and Questions  
Author Message
gevans

Joined: 10/25/2006
Posts: 497
Location: New Jersey
 03/23/2009 09:10 AM  

You are correct it was great while it lasted.... I was there also for the beginning to the end so I have no regrets.


There are 4 seasons to the year and you can fish in all of them.  The season never ends...
 
crabcake


Joined: 07/10/2003
Posts: 2848
 03/23/2009 10:28 AM  

Temporary Lull??

Historically these fish have a lull for about two weeks around this time a year and then they turn on again in late March and into April, then through the Summer at Coxes Ledge. Keeping my fingers crossed that history repeats itself!!


Ling is King and Cusk are Deluxe!
 
JC30967


Joined: 12/07/2007
Posts: 6359
Location: Massapequa
 03/23/2009 11:09 AM  

crabcake wrote:

Historically these fish have a lull for about two weeks around this time a year and then they turn on again in late March and into April, then through the Summer at Coxes Ledge. Keeping my fingers crossed that history repeats itself!!



Crabcake, I agree with you totally. We may yet see some more codfish action this spring, mabey not as intense as it was, but nonetheless. And, Coxes has been getting better and better the last few summers, I have a back to back marathon weekend planned with MakoMike the 1st weekend in August, when we had a great trip last year. I am really looking forward to that!


Kevin, it definately was a run for the record books, historical, if you will Shades! I am so glad I got in on it, from start to finish, and I am even more happy to have shared this amazing fishing with some terrific guys such as yourself, Rob Togilator, Josh , Glenn, Patty Bellyup, and anyone else I may be forgetting right now,lol surprise!


Somewhere in Chicago,a community is missing its organizer
 
funcatching

Joined: 08/26/2003
Posts: 681
 03/23/2009 12:05 PM  

what about ling?

I thought ling is usually the plan b when cod is not biting, but only saw very few ling caught.
 
brooklynkeeper


Joined: 09/05/2008
Posts: 387
Location: E. Setauket NY
 03/23/2009 04:09 PM  

Nice

Nice report Kevin! It was indeed a great run while it lasted and I was fortunate to get out on four trips! FYI I just booked a Tog trip with Desi for April 16th! TTT (Time to think tog). Regards, Mike
 
togilator


Joined: 10/28/2006
Posts: 2523
Location: ON THE CHUNK !!!
 03/23/2009 05:14 PM  

Nice job Kevin,You cant fill the 151s all the timeMad.It was a pleasure fishing with you.I will leyt you know my fall and winter charter schedule come summer.I have quite a few cod charters booked in febuary for next season already.Have to schedule early in advance like I have done the last few years.After this year everybody will be trying to get in on the action and you can't blame them.It was some incredible fishing!
 
fish4me


Joined: 09/01/2005
Posts: 16692
Location: Miller Place
 03/24/2009 01:09 PM  

I agree. It will start up again real soon.


 
hileh

Joined: 05/07/2003
Posts: 33
Location: jamesport, ny
 03/24/2009 01:46 PM  

COD ARE GONE

Hi Kevin,
I was on the Viking trip on Saturday, in fact, in your posted picture the guy in the red jacket in the background is my brother. It was a beautiful day EXCEPT for the "catching". There were a nice group of guys on board and that made if fun for me even though I was skunked.

Unfortunately, this was our first and last trip of the season. Obviously we waited too long to get out there. Well, maybe next year.

I'm with you - time to get the Striper gear ready.

Sam (oldsalt)
 
Finatic4

Joined: 01/16/2005
Posts: 142
Location: Sayville
 03/24/2009 08:32 PM  

I was on the Miss Montauk on 03/08 and we SLAMMED them. 35 guys and 450-500 fish, and most were keepers.It was unreal fishing, double headers all over the place, and fish that were 38-39 lbs!
 
makonick


Joined: 12/23/2006
Posts: 551
Location: MONTAUK/BABYLON
 03/24/2009 11:15 PM  

It seemed to have ended on 3/14.We were on the Rosie on 3/15 & the total for the boat was @ 100 fish,on 3/14 the boat had @ 900-1000 fish.It seemed like the fish left overnight at that point.Lets hope for a good spring run & keep those dogs to a minumum.surprise


"Don't worry,everything will be fine,you'll see"
 
JC30967


Joined: 12/07/2007
Posts: 6359
Location: Massapequa
 03/25/2009 06:19 PM  

makonick wrote:

It seemed to have ended on 3/14.We were on the Rosie on 3/15 & the total for the boat was @ 100 fish,on 3/14 the boat had @ 900-1000 fish.It seemed like the fish left overnight at that point.Lets hope for a good spring run & keep those dogs to a minumum.surprise



I think you're right Nick, that was the last really good day, as far as I know. Fortunately, myself, Togilator, IiJRtt, Wahoolust, grouperscooper and TommyFish, Brownboy, and James from the Island Current, and Fishn4Fun were all out on the Susie E that day, and slammed them up!


Agree, let's hope there is another decent shot of them this spring, then hopefully we see the same summer action on Coxes we've seen the last few yrs up.


Somewhere in Chicago,a community is missing its organizer
 
makonick


Joined: 12/23/2006
Posts: 551
Location: MONTAUK/BABYLON
 03/28/2009 08:37 PM  

JC30967 wrote:

makonick wrote:

It seemed to have ended on 3/14.We were on the Rosie on 3/15 & the total for the boat was @ 100 fish,on 3/14 the boat had @ 900-1000 fish.It seemed like the fish left overnight at that point.Lets hope for a good spring run & keep those dogs to a minumum.surprise



I think you're right Nick, that was the last really good day, as far as I know. Fortunately, myself, Togilator, IiJRtt, Wahoolust, grouperscooper and TommyFish, Brownboy, and James from the Island Current, and Fishn4Fun were all out on the Susie E that day, and slammed them up!


Agree, let's hope there is another decent shot of them this spring, then hopefully we see the same summer action on Coxes we've seen the last few yrs up.



Hey Jay,
Glad to see you & the boys got in on that last day of mayhem! 4 out of 5 trips we had were good,so I can't complain.I see you fish with Mike on the Makomania for cod on Coxes.He's a great guy & fisherman.We used to have alot of laughs when we were in Gone fishing Marina together.Haven't seen him much since he moved to R.I..I used to fish Coxes a few times each summer on my boat,til the dog invasion & the fuel prices of 2008.Hope the cod make a similar comeback this summer like have in years past.









"Don't worry,everything will be fine,you'll see"
 
segan

Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 7
 03/31/2009 07:55 AM  

super
 
segan

Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 7
 04/03/2009 07:29 AM  

hi

segan wrote:

super



hello
 
segan

Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 7
 04/03/2009 09:12 AM  

good

segan wrote:

segan wrote:

super



hello




same


This post edited by segan 09:13 AM 04/03/2009
 
segan

Joined: 03/28/2009
Posts: 7
 04/03/2009 09:18 AM  

good information.

good information
 
  Comments and Questions  


« Back to the New York posted reports



Contact Us
Get Help Using the Site


2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.