Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Reccomend me a local rod builder?

Discussion Boards > Fishing Rods
jtzannes

posted 06/13/2007 09:38 AM  

Hi guys,

I have a couple rods in mind that I would like to get by the end of the summer. I'm looking for a person or store who would wrap 3 or 4 rods for me at a reasonable cost (I would supply the blanks I guess) - nothing fancy, just spined correctly with plain red wraps, no but wrap, plain grips with some shrink tubing on top and that's it. If any has a suggestion of where I can get this done without spending a fortune please let me know.

Thanks much,

-John

Billy40
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 06/13/2007 10:14 AM  

NYCman, lmao!!

I don't know prices of any other builders, so I can't say.I know Joey at Bernie's does rods. If you get "lucky" you might get a builderhere onNoreast to wrap it quick and dirty for you as a side thing.

The HNIC of Teh NERBs

Co-Designer of the Seeker Hercules line of blanks & factory rods

Billy Vivona's XL Rods website

FishWisher

posted 06/13/2007 12:49 PM  

Billy40 wrote:

NYCman, lmao!!

Ditto. Mike doesn't fish anymore, right? Just take his rods, I'm sure he won't mind. I know he's got some nice sticks, and they are pretty much brand new. Failing that, maybe Billy will give you a 5% discount from his starting price of $700.00. I'll put in a good word for you. You also have Bonsiguy and Sean right here.

By the way, and this is a total thread jack, what do people usually tip their rod builder? Is 15% customary?

Remember: I don't take any of this seriously.

Captneilf
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/13/2007 10:04 PM  

Hi,

Fair enough question. Now let me ask you a question.

What labor rate are you willing to pay per rod to have this work accomplished?

Also what do you think is a fair labor rate that you should be charged?

Capt Neil

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods  
The Long Islander Series
The MAXIMIZER Series

(631)567-8049

MIKE TUNA

posted 06/14/2007 09:05 AM  

jtzannes
I believe what you are looking for is right in front of your face. Captneilf "Long Island Series rods" are custom made by the capt himself. He will also tweak them to fit your needs. I have pulled on these rods and you'll be surprised how nice they are for the price. Plus you will be able to cover all the bases If your looking for a few. Plus the price is right. I would suggest is you give him a call and meet with him.

There are some excellent Rod builders on this site, again Captneilf Then you have "Rodwinder" who's work is top shelf if you want to spend more they can build you anything you want.

MIKE TUNA

MATTYFIVES

posted 06/14/2007 09:13 AM  

I had Capt Neil build me a bunch of rods over the winter...they all came out awesome, look and fish beautifully.

jpfsurf

posted 06/15/2007 04:12 PM  

MATTYFIVES wrote:

I had Capt Neil build me a bunch of rods over the winter...they all came out awesome, look and fish beautifully.

Ditto,captneil,does nice work.How many rods you build & rewrap for me neil? well worth your ride,from brooklyn.
Neil uses only the best products,& takes his time.To bad I break em all.Wink

DarthBaiter

posted 06/16/2007 04:01 PM  

Not sure...but some of the wraps I seen done by Billy40 are sweet...to say the least. Anyone hear of em? Wink

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

tiderunner70

posted 06/16/2007 05:12 PM  

checkout the custom wrap thread. there is some amazing talent here on noreast. i had captneil build a custom weakie stick not long ago. basic thread work but that is all i wanted. i did not want any fancy threads on this one. but the rod is functionally perfect. i have had blues on it up into the 15# range and weakies up to 10#'s and it handled them like a champ. i know when capt neil reads this he will cringe a little. because the blank i chose is a finesse stick... Smile now if i could only work my old mojo on the weakies we will be in business. Smile

there are so many great builders on here. probably a few closer to where u live. but captneil did great by me.

Tom Farrell
Vice President - New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing
[email protected]

MSA
LIBBA

MIKE TUNA

posted 06/16/2007 06:01 PM  

DarthBaiter
You are correct Billy40 also is very talented Rod builder from what I see on this site he seems more then capable to build a nice rod. Unfortunately I've only had the privilege of seeing his work in person a few times while fishing with him on the Ocean Eagle.

I've spoke in detail, Had work done and bent many rods from both Captain Neil and Ralph (Rodwinder) Thats why I can recommend them. They both do high end quality work, building and designing nice balanced rods. Ralph's wraps and Caulk work is just truly incredible. Captain Neil has also customized some existing rods ( changed them around ) help guide me in the right direction I am very pleased with his ideas and the quality of work.

MIKE TUNA

This post edited by MIKE TUNA 06:07 PM 06/16/2007

shebeen

posted 06/16/2007 06:52 PM  

John, Sounds like you're looking for the 'Black on Black' Sabbath rod that Sam is so famous for.

Shoot him a PM......I'm sure he'd LOVE to bang out a half-dozen or so for you. Smile

Captneilf
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 06/16/2007 11:43 PM  

Hi,

It is nice to see many of you that like custom rods posting and saying what you like about customs that have been made for you. Without you we custom rod builders would have no one to build for. We appreciate the opportunities and thank you.

You get to see many custom rods on party boats and charter boats. Ask the owners who builds their rods and why they like the persons designs/craftsmanship. This is how you will find a builder that will meet your needs. Some names appear here on Noreast quite regularly. That is because we answer questions and try to help other builders or prospective customers. There are many other people out there very quietly building very nice customs. I know of some and there are many that I have not met or heard of. Try to seek out these builders and you may find the person you are looking for. Many of your local tackleshops have quality rod builders. Do not over look these craftsmen. They know what works in their neighborhood.

I tell people that they should interview the rod builders to make sure that you know what you are getting and why. Make sure you are both on the same page. make sure you know what the new rod will cost you up front. Each rod builder brings special talents to the table. Search out the one that best fits all your needs.

This is a good discussion and I hope it continues on.

Capt Neil

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods  
The Long Islander Series
The MAXIMIZER Series

(631)567-8049

Discussion Boards > Fishing Rods  
Jump to:  

2019 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.