Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Gulf Coast Charter on June 17-20, 2007

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Discussion Boards > Jigging and Popping
KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 01/02/2007 11:30 PM  

I got a comfirmation from Willie at TOO (Texas Outdoor Organization), who arranged the charter for us, the 65' Carribean Sea in Port Fourchon, LA is secured for the June 17 - 20, 2007 dates.

THE BOAT
The Carribean Sea has 1000 gallon fuel tanks, 500gl water tanks, showers, 10-12 bunks and a stainless steel grill.
The boat can cruise at 12-15 knots and 10-12 guys can fish comfortable as we can fish around the boat.

Captain
Whenever I charter a boat, I always check captain's reputation thoroughly more than the boat.
I listened to guys who fished on the boat on their GEM (Gulf Exploration Mission) 06 trip. When they say Capt. Steve Tomeny is one of the best Captains they've fished with and is easily accessible, I know I got the right captain. They also praised mates Matt and Lane very highly.
I already asked Willie at TOO it is prerequisite Capt. Tomeny should be our captain for the trip.

Trip Cost
Willie told me the price of the trip incuding his fee is $11,880.
The price is based with fuel roughly costing $2.25 a gallon.
If the cost of fuel was to be $2.50 a gallon in June and the charter used 700 gallons, so the additional fuel surcharge woudl be $175 total to pay at the dock ( (2.5 - 2.25) X 700).
The question will be what the price will be of fuel, and how many gallons. I checked a few other charter operations with similar boats and the rate given to us is very reasonable.

In addition to the boat price and fuel surcharge, there are other expenses to be considered.

a. tip : roughly 15 percent

b. two night lodging before the trip(06-16) and after the trip (06-20)
There is lodging right at the dock through Captain Tomeny. It is something like $15-20 a night per person and it is very Spartan like, bunk beds, showers, kitchen sink, etc.

c. transportation for New Orleans airport to/from Port Fourchon.
The best choice is right now is to rent a two full van at the
airport. The rate is about $120 per day/van. I am looking for
other options.

SUMMARY OF ESTIMATED COST(per person based on 10 guys):

-boat and tip : $1,370 ( fuel surcharge can be extra)
-two night lodging:$ 40
-transportation : 120
-misc (gas, etc) 20

Total $1,550

*food is extra ( I discuss about food later)

This post edited by KILSONG 12:06 PM 01/03/2007

new hampshire

posted 01/03/2007 06:43 AM  

That sounds like such a good trip Kil. I wish I could have made it
Frown but those dates are when we will be searching for the new world record tilefish on the Noreast Viking charter Smile.

Looks like she got beat with an uglystick(((SHAKESPEARE)))
That is.

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 01/03/2007 11:16 AM  

Trip Description

The Gulf of Mexico provides unique opportunities to catch big yellowfin on jigs and poppers. Actually they catch more yft on poppers than jigs on oil rigs at night. Smile While most tuna fishing is done at night, we have an opportunity to jig big grouper, amberjack or red snappers daytime. While this trip is designed to jigging and popping mostly, if anybody wants to use live baits like flyfish which is abundant around the oil rigs at night, that is fine because the most important thing on this trip is to have fun. Smile

Green Canyon

Green Canyon is located 150-200 miles off LA coast. I fished several times out of Venice, LA and know we can catch many tuna in 50 lbs ranges within 100 miles from the shore. On GEM 06 trip done in Nov, 2006, they caught 29 yft in 50-90 lbs range for 10 guys in rough weather condition one night ( they had to cancel after one night fishing due to weather). They were supposed to go to Green Canyon, but bad weather prevented to fish Green Canyon, but still the catch was very respectable considering a few guys didn't fish and weather was very bad. What I read is you can expect bigger yft in 100 - 200 lbs in abundant in Green Canyon and ths fishing pressure is almost non-existant.
I understand there are some close by deepwater bottom for extra large amberjack, snapper and grouper.
I told Willie of TOO to make sure we fish Green Canyon weather permitting.

We have choices what to do daytime, but I exclude trolling as this trip is for jigging and popping. We can do bottom fishing or jigging and chunking tuna which they say it works well in Green Canyon.
I am going to discuss with Capt. about the detailed fishing plan in the near future.

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 01/03/2007 11:30 AM  

Trip Itinenary

-Arrive at New Orleans Airport by 3:00 pm on June 16, 2007
-Leaving Airport by two 12-15 passenger vans by 4:00 pm
-Arriving at the lodge of Fourchon, LA at 6:00 pm
-Aboarding the Carribean Sea by 6:00 - 7:00 am, June 17
-Bottom fishing and making baits on the way out
-Tuna fishing in Green Cayon at night, June 17
-Jigging tuna or bottom fishing daytime and tuna fishing at night
for three days
-Leaving Green Canyon early in the morning June 20
-Bottom fishing on the way in
-Arriving at the dock late afternoon or evening June 20
-Stay at the lodge of Fourchon, LA
-Leaving Fourchon, LA to Airport by 8:00 am June 21

*The itinenary can be chanced due to flight schedule of each member.

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 01/03/2007 11:57 AM  

Participants and Payment Plan

Total estimated all-inclusive cost except food,fuel surchage if any and airline tickets as explained before is $1,550 per person.

The first installment payment of $550 is due by Jan 31,
the second of $500 by Mar 31
and the third of $500 by May 15.

If anyone want to pay in full in advance, that helps as we have to send deposit to the boat.
I advise the participants send me their e-mail addresses by PM to me, so that I can communicate.

Paticipants

1.kilsong $1,050 paid
2.angler from Korea
3.angler from korea
4.Rangler $500 paid
5.monocom $1,550 paid
6.dhoperos
7.gloucesterToo $1,550 paid

waiting list:

1.TownecafeSal
2.sinker
3.FnR

*We might invite one internationally known popping fisherman from Japan. It will be an excellent opportunity to learn from him about the uptodate popping techniques and popping setups.

And also I am considering hiring a cook who can fish free and provide meals for us as it is inconvenient to bring all food because everyone have to fly in. In that case the food cost will be divided equally on the boat.

This post edited by KILSONG 04:04 PM 02/06/2007

GloucesterToo

posted 01/03/2007 04:30 PM  

Kil - could you put my name on the wait list on the off chance that a bunch of guys drop out.

Thanks!

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 01/03/2007 04:33 PM  

GloucesterToo wrote:

Kil - could you put my name on the wait list on the off chance that a bunch of guys drop out.

Thanks!

I added some members as they showed interest. I think you have an excellent chance to join the trip. Smile

This post edited by KILSONG 04:45 PM 01/03/2007

mhaines

posted 01/03/2007 05:14 PM  

2 boats?

I wouldn't think they would but I would be interested in this trip also. They don't have 2 boats to take do they?

RichardLA

posted 01/05/2007 09:45 PM  

2 boats

Tomeny runs 4 boats all with same 65 ft hull but a bit different topsides. Carribean Sea has a walkaround all around the boat, as does the Gulf of Mexico and the Louisiana. The Southerner doesn't have a walkaround but has a large cockpit (my personal favorite). Mid June is in the peak of their bottomfishing (Red Snapper) season so if you wanted a second boat now is the time to be talking to them. you can check out their operation at http://www.stevetomenycharters.com/

10 anglers for the fishing you want to do is just right for this boat.

BTW, Kil, the few times I have seen tuna caught on topwaters it really didn't matter what you threw! the main thing is to catch them busting the surface.

Kil is right Matt is a first rate mate - i have fished with him several times since 2002 and he keeps getting better though I haven't ever fished with Capt Tomeny he has been around a while and has a good rep.

Hope this helps

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 01/05/2007 11:43 PM  

RichardLA,
Thanks for the information.
It seems they have a good operation there.
When I went on the Viking Super Star out of Tarpon Spring, Fl for 44 hour trip in Dec, I saw the similar boat as the Carribean Sea which Capt. Tomeney sold to the Viking. The boat can be fished all around the boat and it looked 10-12 guys can fish comfortably.
There are too many things to prepare even though we fish only on one boat. Smile Even though mid June is a prime red snapper season, they didn't increase the price much.
The only thing I am very curious about is the fuel capacity and the distance we travel. They say the Carribean Sea has 1,000 gallon fuel capacity and the Green Canyon is located about 150 - 200 miles off LA shoreline. For four days, I assume they travel at least 500 -600 miles. Smile Is it possible to run a mile per gallon for a 65 ft boat at 14-15 knot : Smile Or they call Green Cayon if they go out 100 miles or more like we call 'Georges Bank trip' when cod party boats go to close to Georges Bank. Smile

I just arrived at Morehead City, NC and I plan to go after giant bluefin tuna tomorrow. Fishing has been spotty at most and weather doesn't look good either.

This post edited by KILSONG 12:22 AM 01/06/2007

RichardLA

posted 01/06/2007 09:52 AM  

Kil

Let me preface this by saying I have not fished Green Canyon - but I don't know anyone who has gone out much beyond 125 miles offshore at Green Canyon. once you go 100-120 miles you are clearly in Green Canyon

The Green Canyon area is roughly bounded by 90 - 92 deg Longitude and 27-28 latitude. if you take a peak at NOAA chart 1116A you'll see that the drop-off into the canyon occurs just south of the 28 deg parallel which is a little less than 100 miles offshore and by 27.5 degrees (about 120 miles out) you are in 600-800 fathom water. (I am a map/chartoholic so I spend time looking at charts and identifying areas that I'd like to go one day.) if you can get the chart take a look at the area around 27 deg 46.561' and 90 deg 50.832' (right at 100 miles out of Belle Pass) - at this point the water drops from 300 fathoms to over 500 fathoms in less than 3 miles (just to the west of there it drops from 200 to 500 fathoms in less than 10 miles). you can follow the fathom lines east and west from there and see several areas within 100-120 miles offshore that offer similar topography or is it bathymetry! in sum, I don't think it will be necessary to go 250 miles out to get to them tuner - 100-125 will do you just fine.And note that the Mississippi Canyon is just to the east of Green Canyon and the water there drops off even closer to Belle Pass than Green Canyon

you can also look at the bathy maps here: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/bathymetry/maps/area3.html

the green canyon map at this site is centered about 27.5 and 91.0 which is 128 miles out of Belle Pass.

1,000 gallons will do ya. as i recall that hull gets about 0.75 or 0.8 or so to the gallon depending on the power

I'd try to get him to run a couple high speed trollers off the back on wirelines to pick up a hooter or two while your running. A boat I fish out of Orange Beach with the same hull as Tomeny's picks up a couple like that every other trip

the planning is almost as much fun as the fishing for me!!!

mhaines

posted 01/06/2007 10:34 AM  

Thank Richard for the web site, it is appreceited.

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 01/06/2007 10:34 AM  

Thanks again, RichardLA.
It makes sense. I tried to get a chart there, but I still don't get it.
I assumed Green Cayon is 150 -200 miles off LA coast after I read the article that Mars and Ursa oil rigs are located about 120 miles off LA coast and the Green Canyon sits about 80 miles of south of Mars and Usra. Without a chart it is only blind guessing. Smile
I don't like to troll on this trip, but wahoo trolling is a good idea as they can take trolling lures even above 15 knots.

You are right. The planning is as much fun as fishing, especially when fishing unknown areas mainly on jigging and popping, which nobody have done yet in the Gulf of Mexico Smile

This post edited by KILSONG 08:16 PM 01/09/2007

dieorfish

posted 01/10/2007 02:41 AM  

Kilsong,

This trip sounds fantastic. I am trying to make changes to my flyfishing trip scheduled then. If I can do it I will let you know ASAP. Artificials are always just what the doctor ordered.

by the way, how far is the boat from Commanders Palace?? (Garden District in New Orleans) I always stop in there when I am in town. Probably my favorite restaurant in the world except for possibly the French Laundry. I just need to make sure it is not water logged.

Jamie

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 01/10/2007 10:59 AM  

dieorfish wrote:

Kilsong,

This trip sounds fantastic. I am trying to make changes to my flyfishing trip scheduled then. If I can do it I will let you know ASAP. Artificials are always just what the doctor ordered.

by the way, how far is the boat from Commanders Palace?? (Garden District in New Orleans) I always stop in there when I am in town. Probably my favorite restaurant in the world except for possibly the French Laundry. I just need to make sure it is not water logged.

Jamie

Jamie, you don't need to change your flyfishing trip schedule. Bring you fly rods on the boat and catch tuna instead of trout. Smile
I think you have excellent chances to hook up with a tuna on your fly rod as tuna are cruising around the boat on the surface.
Bring some flies imitating flyfish. Smile

Fourchon is located approximately 50 miles south of New Orleans on State Route 1. I've never been in Commanders Palace, but I enjoy fabulous seafood at fine restaurants in French Quarter, New Orleans.

Discussion Boards > Jigging and Popping Page  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.