Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

THE NEW COLOR SCOPE OF TODAY>>>>>>

Discussion Boards > The Captain Corner with Captain Mike Marks
togmaster
Noreast.com Club Member

The Captain Corner with Captain Mike Marks

posted 03/02/2007 12:04 PM  

With all the new technology in play today I have seen so many new marine electronics coming out with newer and better features for better productivity. I started out using Paper machines and Sonar pingers then Furunos , then Sitex for most of my fishing years. I just recently took a step back and went to a Lowrance machine 2 years ago. I did not comment on the machine till I put it to use. Well after 2 years of trying this machine out I have discovered one of the best machines available today. At first I was skeptical of getting the Lcx series for the company was know more for its fresh water use. The machine uses something different then the usual gain control we find on most color scopes today. They have a sensitivity control. Now you say what’s the difference?

Well the machine works a bit different then the other scopes for it works better in a higher sensitivity mode where the older scopes use less gain to produce a clearer picture.
The machine is also capable of producing it’s our color settings. You set your own color scheme to identify the fish and type of bottom you see on the screen. This is one of the most important features for it helps you as an individual user identify the screen and fish your looking at. One of the key points that sold me on the machine as well was you don’t have to spend the extra bucks to interface the unit to your home computer. Most other companies want to hit you for cables, interface software and other goodie that cost as much as the machine from the start. This unit uses a simple Sd card that can be bought for like 19.00 bucks for a 2 gig card. The card can be used to update the unit with a simple down load, as well as playback your view while on board. This is was the best interface of all the units I looked into. Simple and universal cannot be beat.. I wish other companies like Garmin , Northstar would learn from the wise and stop banging us over the head with there own type of memory cards you need to purchase from them to make extra money. A far as charts you can use the ones that come in the unit or buy the usual after market . with more details .

The key to the unit is the Transducer. Make sure you use a thru hull if possible. I had the unit at first with the skimmer transmount and on my new boat I went with the Airmar monster 1000watt baby . Worth the money if your boat is able to use it. Get the dual Feq. Unit as well. Why? If you plan on using 2 scopes on your boat you can set them to different frq.’s to avoid same freq hashes. As well as the 50K works better in deeper water.

Now the screen display on the newer Lowrances is incredible 800X600 high res.
So using your own color presets on different type of days is truly a great help. Whether It be night time, sunshine, or hazy you can simply load your colors to give you the best screen of view . The machine actually uses the old paper machine technology. It even has a feature to set the machine like the old X-15 lowrance with out using the old roll of paper I’ll post some pics below>>>>

As far as the fish identity it took a while to figure out and identify different types of fish under the boat. That will come with reading them and catching them to verify what you see. Guys this machine read TOG clearly. I say this because when I used the older scopes you would see the tog at times but never truly know if it was them. Tog tend to stay close to the wreck at times and the older scopes could not separate the fish from the wreck reading. With the Lowrance as you will see in the picture below the fish clearly stand out. I set my own custom colors in this pic so you can clearly see the fish tight on the wrecks and in the cracks. The first picture below is of a Dragger. the top 2 are the same wreck in diffrent modes. You can actually identify the wreck from the bow to stern and see the deck gap between the two.but notice when you use the color mode how great the detail come to lifeSmile

Sorry for the clarity of the pictures they are not that good I resized them lower to fit all of them in one post but you can see the point. If you notice the detail in the pics compared to many of the scopes out there today the lowrance has a unique look. I am not saying it is the best and I have seen the Ray marine, as well as Simrad and others but this Machine has its own imaging which I was amazed to actually see the outline of the wreck as it sits in tact. As far as a Gps it is something I did not fool with much for I still use my Gramin. But it has the add in feature which is very cheap to make it a combo unit. I plan on buying the new Lcx-113hd unit when the price drops. I also would like to use or check out the humming bird side scan units they look amazing as well.
Oh well just thought I would share my views and opinion of some of the newer technology in place today , As I use and findout more I will try and keep you posted on this. Hopefully I can be come a field tester LOL Hey with the regs today may not be a bad idea
Be well
Capt. Mike Marks

Capt. Mike Marks

Shut up N fish <;;;>

Miss Beryl Charters

posted 03/02/2007 12:47 PM  

The Lowrance machine is on my wish list for new toys. With this machine, when interfaced with your gps, will record the images while you are running onto the card. Too Cool. Besides that, the color settings and clarity are stunning. As Mike said, it does take some getting used to the differences in the way the fish appear, but once you get used to this its second nature. You can record each different wreck you fish, and print a color copy of each, and keep in a binder for reference.

Capt. Rick

www.missberyl.com

IN SEARCH OF BIG FREDDIE
Capt. Rick 516 359 6462
Sailing from Oceanside/Long Beach NY

This post edited by fishinsurfer 02:31 PM 03/02/2007

togmaster
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 03/02/2007 01:28 PM  

some more pics

Here are some other color schemes for you to see
If you notice i tried to set one pic to the usual Furuno with the blue back round . i also has some with mod. colrs as well

Capt. Mike Marks

Shut up N fish <;;;>

EC NEWELL MAN

posted 03/02/2007 02:06 PM  

Togmaster, incredible shots of some of the wrecks around here.

Little does anyone know, that one of these wrecks pictured here was found by Mike Scarpati Jr, of the Ranger a number of years back while bluefishing. Capt. Greg of the OE and myself were very luck to get this spot, and i happened to be one of the first to fish it during the winter with a private boat. We had a number of pollack along with jumbo sea bass and outrageous sized bergalls, and we were only a few miles from the dock. Those were the days!

Also if you noticed, Mike Togmaster turned on the second echo feature, which i have found very important in using in finding low bottom. If your machine can be adjusted in this fashion, use it. You have no idea how many hard pieces of bottom you run over, and disregard these readings, because you see no relief coming off the first echo.

I have become a big supporter of this machine after seeing these shots over the last year. If their was one bottom machine to buy, this would be the one.

EC NEWELL MAN><

As of 0900hrs - 5/2/08-

I NO LONGER ACCEPT PMs.

Contact me at:

[email protected]

Aquarius

posted 03/03/2007 09:57 AM  

Which model Lowrance are you refering to?

USCG Licensed Chief Engineer of Steam and Motor Vessels Unlimited Horsepower

shebeen

posted 03/03/2007 10:27 AM  

I agree.

Lowrance not using proprietary cards is a BIG plus. Very happy with mine once I got accustomed to it.

Another nice thing is they have product emulators on their website so you can play with them before you buy or familiarize yourself with features while you're at work. lol

LOWRANCE

Welcome back Mike up

togmaster
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 03/03/2007 12:38 PM  

the LCX

Aquarius wrote:

Which model Lowrance are you refering to?

The Lcx series are mostly the same. the only features that change with the models are the screen size and the option of a hardrive in the machine.
here is a product comparison link if it works
Lowrance compare

Capt. Mike Marks

Shut up N fish <;;;>

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 03/04/2007 02:08 PM  

Hi Mike - remember that thread on the old board from 3 or 4 seasons ago in which I spoke of the then-new Lowrance machines and what a major step forward the on-screen imaging technology was? Remember the debate that whole thing started - Lowrance not capable of building a high quality SW machine and all that nonsense? Looks like your results have validated what I though years ago. Great, great screen grabs.

Now if I can only scrape together the coin for the new LCX-38 8.5" machine, I'd be in hog heaven. But the house needs a new roof, so looks like another season with the Sitex CRT. Oh well . . .

Lep

"Hi, my name is Pete and I have a fishing gear problem."

togmaster
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 03/04/2007 02:23 PM  

Leprechaun wrote:

Hi Mike - remember that thread on the old board from 3 or 4 seasons ago in which I spoke of the then-new Lowrance machines and what a major step forward the on-screen imaging technology was? Remember the debate that whole thing started - Lowrance not capable of building a high quality SW machine and all that nonsense? . . .

Lep

Yes Pete I remember it very well and post was one of the reasons I looked into the machine
Here is the link from like 2003

Color scope choice

Capt. Mike Marks

Shut up N fish <;;;>

togmaster
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 03/19/2007 01:30 PM  

LcX 113hd

the machines have finally come out just ordered my today for those wating ofr the new 113hd's

there are only a few available so hopefully they will be release more soon

Funny this year seemed very strange for all electronic companies.
I wanted to buy other products as well at the boat shows but seems like many were not available at show time.
Wonder if thats the economy or what

Capt. Mike Marks

Shut up N fish <;;;>

GradySailfish

posted 03/20/2007 11:25 AM  

Gorgous unit....got to save up some coin or at least wait until the price drops a little before I can buy one. Until then I must rely on my trusty sidekick the Si-Tex 103.

Here's a link that might be of interest

Lowrance Bottom Machines

"A true patriot supports his country always and his government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain

GradySailfish

posted 03/20/2007 11:26 AM  

Just realized the link don't work....try cutting and pasting this into your browser.

http://www.boatersland.com/lowfishfinders.html

"A true patriot supports his country always and his government when it deserves it." -Mark Twain

togmaster
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 03/20/2007 01:19 PM  

Group buy?

I can get a group on these lcx113chd /w gps combo 50/200 k if more then 5 units are sold pm me if your intrested. I will order the machines without Transducers only w Gps beacon . If you need a transducer it has to be ordered seperatly for to many options on the install transom thru-hull shoot thru ?
If I get 5 guys or more i will get a quote but I just ordered the last 5 they had and cannot quote the price here but Pm if intrested
Hopefully more will come in

Capt. Mike Marks

Shut up N fish <;;;>

This post edited by togmaster 01:20 PM 03/20/2007

togmaster
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 10/26/2008 02:40 PM  

Bump for Bolo

Here is the article you aske about Bolo

Capt. Mike Marks

Shut up N fish <;;;>

Discussion Boards > The Captain Corner with Captain Mike Marks  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.