Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Jigging Setup for 200 - 300 lbs Tuna

Page  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Boards > Jigging and Popping
KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 08/20/2007 11:13 AM  

dhoperos posted they lost a big bluefin on a jig at NWC of Stellwagen Bank on 08-19.

quote:

he found a nice reading of bait and we dropped a variety of jigs but drifted off the school after a couple of minutes. we putted around for a couple of minutes, marked bait again, and dropped in. billy hooked up instantly and 80lbs braid ripped off his torque 200. he locked down the drags as the boat swung to give chase, but it was too late. with only a dozen wraps left of the spool the main line broke. it was all over in less than a minute.

For tuna in 50 - 100 lbs range we can catch them even with 2/0 size reel like Torque 200 without much problem.
But when tuna in 200 - 300 lbs are frequent, we must adjust our jigging setups accordingly.
I'd like to know what kind of rod/reel and line you like to use for them for jigging.

GloucesterToo

posted 08/20/2007 12:15 PM  

Accurate 665 Wide . . . not sure how much 80 pound braid it holds - but it's alot surprise

Anything that can spool that I don't want no part of Wink

dhoperos

posted 08/20/2007 02:53 PM  

reels... and rods

Glow2, i haven't been able to find a good source of accurate specs. do you have details on capacity, drag, and weight?

From my limited research I think the alutecnos gorilla might be the trick as it could also serve as a canyon reel.

does anyone have suggestions on rods? i'm thinking the Graphite-USA Wahoo would be the best choice, but i don't know what else is available. does anyone know where I can buy a gusa wahoo 'off the shelf'? i don't feel like shelling out the $$$ needed to get one custom wrapped!

"iron sharp with iron,
everyone is his brother's keeper"
The Itals

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 08/20/2007 03:11 PM  

David, Accurate 665 W can hold 400 yards of 80 lbs line and 100 yards of 50 lbs mono topshot. If you use very short topshot, you can get over 500 yards of 80 lbs braided line.
Accurte 665 also can hold about 400 yard of 80 lbs braided line if you use very short topshot.
By the way, one of my friends want to sell brand new 665 W two-speed for $500. If you are interested in the reel, let me know.

I checked the Alutechno Gorilla reel and it certainly one of the best small lever drag reels. It hold lots of line and has enough max drag for its size. But don't expect to get over 30 lbs max drag at strike, not because you can not get it but because moving the drag lever becomes too stiff. You can get the same max drag with Accurate 665 two-speed with low gear advantage.

Contact with Paul708. He has 7' GUSA Wahoo blank.

This post edited by KILSONG 03:33 PM 08/20/2007

FishWisher

posted 08/20/2007 03:45 PM  

Jigging for cows? I'd say start with a high speed Avet SDS filled with 150lb PP and short topshot of 150lb fluoro on a GUSA Beast or Clastar 7460XH or equivalent. Might want to hit the gym first. A toy reel with 80lb braid might kill a cow once in a while, but it's silly to target big bluefin with Accurate 665, magic button or not. That lost fish might have been 800lb, for all you know.

Remember: I don't take any of this seriously.

dhoperos

posted 08/20/2007 03:59 PM  

Thanks

Hi Kil, I just talked to Paul- he's super nice and easy to work with.

Can you send me a PM on the 665?

thanks,

dhr

"iron sharp with iron,
everyone is his brother's keeper"
The Itals

Codkiller

posted 08/20/2007 04:29 PM  

Every bluefin I have ever hooked on a 4/0 size reel has kicked my *ss
Frown

Bob

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 08/20/2007 04:32 PM  

dhoperos wrote:

Hi Kil, I just talked to Paul- he's super nice and easy to work with.

Can you send me a PM on the 665?

thanks,

dhr

Yes, Paul is very nice guy. I sent you a PM.

aFineCatch

posted 08/20/2007 06:08 PM  

Aguy on the west coast made a habit of catching 200lb+ yellowfin of 2 speeded 12T's. Bait fishing, which often means a harder fight than jigging. Now of course he had the options of backup reels and skiffs, but I'm sure that he got a couple in the hard way.

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 08/20/2007 06:18 PM  

aFineCatch wrote:

Aguy on the west coast made a habit of catching 200lb+ yellowfin of 2 speeded 12T's. Bait fishing, which often means a harder fight than jigging. Now of course he had the options of backup reels and skiffs, but I'm sure that he got a couple in the hard way.
I haven't heard anyone on the West Coast use 12T for cow for jigging. They hardly jig for cow. The standard reel is still 50 though more guys start to use 30 for cow.
Penn 12 or 16 are excellent choice for cow jigging though they are still heavy for long hour jigging.

This post edited by KILSONG 06:28 PM 08/20/2007

mrbill1

posted 08/20/2007 08:10 PM  

If I knew there were 200 to 300 pound cows in the area, I'd go heavy duty. My jigging rod would be the Zenzq Monster Buster B60H. It's a beast. I know for a fact that it can withstand 40 pounds of constant drag.

For the reel, I'd forget the toy size reels. My hands are just to big to work those little Torque's, Torsa's, Saltiga's, Boss's, etc. They are fine for normal size tunas, but give me a big reel for those big cows. I would actually prefer an ATD 130 size handle on my toy size jigging reels. If you look at the picture below, you will see that my abnormal hands are about the size of a 50W.

I'd pick a Tiagra 50WLRSA for the reel. I know I would probably only last about 45 minutes of constant jigging, but it would be worth it when you hook up to a big cow.

This post edited by mrbill1 08:41 PM 08/20/2007

gmann

posted 08/20/2007 10:58 PM  

I will go with the egg beater

Shimano Stella 20K it has 58lbs of drag along with a Smith AMJ 52EX rod. The reel holds over 520 yards of PE6 and the rod is very easy on the body. I am confident that a 200-300# tuna can be taken on this set up

Peterk814

posted 08/20/2007 11:31 PM  

You surprisingly will not get that much more line on a 665 wide 2 speed. Mine spooled up with 300 yards of 80lb tufline and 100M of japenese braid 80lb. So a little over 400 yards

leakyrivot

posted 08/21/2007 01:16 AM  

Had to see what this post was all about Wink.. I don't know squat about jigging (and would like to learn) but as far as fighting tuna here's my input.

Tuna lb for lb IMHO are pussies compared to a shark, but that's only *if* you can out-torque them. They swim fast and can swim forever but they have little tails and are designed for speed - they can barely even steer themselves, pretty much tuna swim well in a straight line or a large arc and that's it... Put enough force on them and they just sit there and spin out, ie you'll hear giant fishermen say "stop it or drop it"...

So a shark on the other hand is all about torque, fight it on practically any drag and it makes little difference - a good sized shark can pull big drag until it tires and an extra 20 lbs of drag is an advantage but it's not gonna stop a good sized shark in it's tracks as they can turn on a dime and can generate massive amounts of force do to their muscle, flexibility, and the surface area of their tail.

Fight a tuna on a light drag and you are catering to it's design; they will continue to pick up speed, swim, and breath until either they get away, die and sink, or you get lucky and a fish takes a pass by the boat for a harpoon or gaff shot.

With that said do to the initial run you need 500+ yards of line no matter what reel you choose and considering the drag you will use with 80 lb line you better hope it is < 300 lbs.. we hooked a 425# fish this season trolling and before we got the boat cut down and started clearing lines 300 yards was gone; pushing the drag to full on a Penn 70 set at 35 lbs on strike with very little line diameter left on the spool (my 275 yard top is 130# mono and backing is 130# spectra) it ripped another 100 yards off before we got someone into a harness... I'm guessing with the spool low like that at full drag the fish was pulling 80 lbs or mabye more.

Of course then that same fish came to the boat and was stuck in 12 minutes, however what the result would've been with drags for 80# line I'm guessing is a spooling and a big one that got away story. We started chasing that fish very quickly and it took us for an honest > 400 yards before we could give chase (I know this because my line types and colors differ).

I suppose we are all sport fishermen here but a 300 lb tuna is going to market one way or another, right? How long do you really want to fight it for? Every minute is another cha-ching in the negative.. and again with bluefin you never know what you are gonna hook, I've boated 30-425 lb tuna on the exact same baits and lost a fish last season that could've been even larger (which was eating gorilla sized blues at the time in 60 ft. of water off p-town) when it generated slack and spit the hook as I attempted to put someone into a harness.

Alot of guys this season have fish stories after loosing bluefin on small lever drags and spinning reels; it's silly. The facts are bluefin tuna get up over 1000 lbs. The one you are gonna loose is the one you will really hate to loose, not the 80 lb fish.. if you can't winch an 80 lb fish to the boat in a few minutes then you better get some heavier gear.

With that said I'm with Mr. Bill.. 50 sized reel minimum and that's if you are going to pretty much fill it with 80# to 130# spectra with a short mono topshot. I'm a Penn guy so if I was really gonna setup for jigging I'd go with the new line of Gold Penn 50's, which are built to produce massive drags and for overspooling with spectra but any 50 sized reel that can produce 35 lbs at strike is gonna do it assuming the freespool remains intact and the drag remains smooth at full.

BTW if any of you guys fishing the bank see me give me a holler and say hello, "Riff Raff" always monitoring 16.

Jon

"Kids, don't try this at home."

This post edited by leakyrivot 01:23 AM 08/21/2007

paul708

posted 08/21/2007 07:27 PM  

KILSONG wrote:

Contact with Paul708. He has 7' GUSA Wahoo blank.
Kil. thanks for bringing up the new blank. i am hoping these are going to be another great jigging stickWink

Home of the $259.00 (or less)jigging rods

Discussion Boards > Jigging and Popping Page  1, 2, 3  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.