Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Blogs  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Looking For A New Rod And Reel

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Bucktailed

posted 09/26/2007 04:53 PM  

Im am looking for a setup that I can use three waying out in Montauk. I want it to handle up to 16oz sinkers and probably 50lb braid. For the reel I was thinking about a Shimano Takota 600 or 700. I definetly want a Shimano Reel. I dont have a price range so any options are fine. Thanks.

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 09/26/2007 08:39 PM  

So many factory choices . . .

And I don't even know where to start with the custom rods. How about this for a start?

1/ Lami BL7040

2/ Calstar GF700H (Or the often-rumored, but seldom seen "MH")

3/ St. Croix SWC70H

Custom - ya got me, some derivation of the blanks for the above factory sticks, or a Capt Neil Long Islander a bit stiffer than the current 7'MH model.

Lep

"Hi, my name is Pete and I have a fishing gear problem."

This post edited by Leprechaun 11:16 PM 09/26/2007

Bucktailed

posted 09/26/2007 10:54 PM  

Thanks Lep. What about the reel? Would the 600 or 700 Tekota be a better match? Thanks Again

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 09/26/2007 11:20 PM  

Tekota 600 would be a GREAT reel for this application. Huge ultra smooth gears, excellent drag, comfortable handle, very powerful 4.5:1 gear ratio making pulling on big fish in big tides a pleasure, what's not to like?

I personally would go one size down, to a 500, only because I prefer a smaller reel in any application I fish in. If you are using a braided line, then even more reason to downsize and enjoy holding the more compact (and lighter) reel all day long. Same everything in the 500 as the larger 600, only in a smaller-sized frame. I own the 500 and find it my smoothest cranking reel by far out of my entire collection. Just a pleasure to use.

Lep

"Hi, my name is Pete and I have a fishing gear problem."

Captneilf
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 09/27/2007 07:38 AM  

Good morning guys,

Great minds think alike.

Lep's first choice was a Lamiglas BL 7040. I build customs using that very blank. It is one of the most sensitive tipped blanks that I have ever fished. I use a Newell 332 or 338 on my "Meat Stick" as I call it and the rod reel combination feels like a light weight set up. I can fish all day and not get tired.

This rod/blank will take 50# test line and 16 oz sinkers like it doesn't even know it is there. I have used this rod on the Andrea Doria for cod with 20 sinkers. It paid it's dues in LI Sound black fishing in 80' of water with 8 ad 10 oz sinkers and I can tell when the belly of the green crab has been eaten away.

My knowledge of reels is limited so I would definitely go with Lep's suggestion.

My guess is that you can get a production rod for under $200, maybe $175. My custom would cost about $390. I have the blank in stock.

You can not go wrong using a rod built on the CGBT 84 1MH blank, which is used in the BL 7040.

Go for it.

Capt Neil

Ps, My friend took an 80# yellow fin tuna with this rod in the Sea of Cortez.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods  
The Long Islander Series
The MAXIMIZER Series

(631)567-8049

Bucktailed

posted 09/27/2007 04:00 PM  

Thanks Guys. I was thinking about the 500 but I thought it might be a bit small. My dad has the 500 and loves it. I think I am going to go with the Lamiglas BL7040 or a custom with this blank. What would be the difference in going with a custom to a store bought one?

Captneilf
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 09/27/2007 06:34 PM  

Hi,

Lamiglas manufactures very good rods but what you see is what you get.

A custom rod will allow you to get it your way. You determine the blank, the length of the blank, type of grips and lengths, type of reel seat and guides, colors of thread and butt wrap, plus whatever other ideas you may have.

A custom will probable cost about double the factory rod.

If you decide to go custom get references pertaining any custom builders that interest you. Make sure you interview the builder and know exactly what he will do for you and why. You are paying a premium and deserve a rod good designer/builder not a cooky cutter wrapper.

Capt Neil

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods  
The Long Islander Series
The MAXIMIZER Series

(631)567-8049

tiderunner70

posted 09/27/2007 07:27 PM  

quote:

Lep's first choice was a Lamiglas BL 7040. I build customs using that very blank. It is one of the most sensitive tipped blanks that I have ever fished. I use a Newell 332 or 338 on my "Meat Stick" as I call it and the rod reel combination feels like a light weight set up. I can fish all day and not get tired.

whats a better combo than that???? especially mated with the newell 338. an absolutely flawless blank for the application and as far as the reel goes. well you may want to really check things out prior to purchasing the shimano. reason being you simply can't beat the newell for the buck. it is a durable winch that will never let you down with minimal maintenance. i abuse my 338 like you would not believe without fail.

as far as custom rod builders go. you have one right here on noreast. none other than capt neil himself. he definitely builds a first class completely capable and functional rod. you would be absolutely amazed how the light tackle rod he built for me holds up against very large fish. all at the same time it casts a mile and has all of the sensitivity in the world. i can't speak highly enough about his workmanship.

as a person my lord the man is first class. i hope they did not break the mold when they made capt neil. officer titza's family was absolutely ecstatic when they were presented with one of capt neils rods for there charity raffle. i could go on forever but i am sure others will chime in. you can't go wrong with capt neil.

best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Tom Farrell
Vice President - New York Coalition for Recreational Fishing
[email protected]

MSA
LIBBA

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep  
Jump to:  

2019 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.