Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

AVET SX Reel

Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
BingoRB

posted 07/26/2012 08:02 PM  

I have been using the AVET SX now for two seasons. The first season, the reel didn't last fifteen trips before it needed bearings. When I called the company they said I was cleaning it wrong and should submerge the reel in fresh water rather than spray it down. So throughout year two that is what i did. Now again a year later the reel needs bearings. This time they tell me when I call the company that the bearings should be replaced annually and that the reel is not suitable for blackfishing due to the drag setting that is required to pull the fish out of the wreck. I laughed at the guy when he said this since he said the west coast guys use the reel for tuna. I find it funny to have dumped a hundred bucks into a reel that cost 180. Has anyone else experienced problems with this reel? Have you had any sucess on getting the company to make good on repairing these POS reels? They seem to not want to acknowlege that these reels are faulty and do not hold up.

Bingo Fishing Charters
Capt. Roger Bing
www.bingo-fishing.com
631-495-1786

CodONrod

posted 07/26/2012 08:10 PM  

I've had 4 different avets, and have had problems with all of them, numerous times.......it got so bad that after fixing them the last time I sold them.....I'll never use one again

BingoRB

posted 07/26/2012 08:45 PM  

pic of my latest bearing failure

Just took this picture. This is what the handle bearing looks like after a year of cleaning the reel as they recommend. Please feel free to comment in this forum both good and bad as I will be mailing this dialogue to the company since they dont want to admit that their product is inferior to its competitors.

Bingo Fishing Charters
Capt. Roger Bing
www.bingo-fishing.com
631-495-1786

treemanjb

posted 07/26/2012 09:07 PM  

re. avet

Daiwa SLSH20s and 30s. $100 bucks and last forever with enough neglect. J.B.

FishingBuddy7

posted 07/26/2012 09:28 PM  

I have my avet for a while now and no problems what so ever

FishingBuddy7

BKLYN FISHING CREATIONS

movetheboat

posted 07/26/2012 11:13 PM  

AVET SX need service after each season especially if using with 40-50 lb braid blackfishing....they r light duty reels.

https://media.giphy.com/media/QGzPdYCcBbbZm/giphy.gif

Savvy18

posted 07/26/2012 11:57 PM  

I've had some version of the Avet SX since the reel was introduced several years ago. In fact, the original version (blue SX) is my favorite of them all. While I have not had any serious trouble with them, I have heard the horror stories from friends.

I sold a silver SX to my buddy a few years ago and before the end of the tog season, he had bearing issues too. I had NO issues with the reel prior to selling it to him.

In all honesty, I used to have so many reels that none of them was ever "over-used." But that original blue Avet SX was on every tog trip with me and it's only been officially serviced once. Other than that, just a water spritz, occasional soap job & towel dried at the dock and a little oil after every few trips.

treemanjb suggests a VERY durable reel. That Daiwa SLSH20 is an absolute tank of a reel. I've had mine since it first came out. Bullet proof reel with a ton of power. It's one of the reels that I own that is NOT ever gonna be for sale! Paid $109.00 for it!

"I FISH FOR FUN...WHEN IT 'AINT FUN, I WON'T FISH"

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 07/27/2012 09:17 AM  

I got nothin' here.

My own three AVETS get PLENTY of upkeep attention and only come fishing when we bunker drift, which really isn't a fair test of corrosion resistance. They have been flawless in six or so years of fishing.

I will give you my opinion on this, however: Dunking a reel in a pail of water is INSANE. I don't care what those nutty Armenians say out there at AVET central. That ain't no way to treat a reel.

I can't even imagine the damage that would do to an aluminum-bodied, anodized reel - one which is LOADED with ball-bearings, no less.

Lep

"Hi, my name is Pete and I have a fishing gear problem."

DonVincenzo

posted 07/27/2012 09:38 AM  

It has nothing to do with the application, it has to do with the bearings themselves. If it was the application (bottom fishing) we would be killing the dog and anti reverse gear.

I abuse my tackle because of the ammount of days spent on the water, however the Avet is the only reel that has had bearing issues year after year until I replaced the handle bearings with sealed stainless bearings from Boca.

Regardless all the reels get stripped once or twice a season.

MushyBunker

posted 07/27/2012 09:42 AM  

I have six AVETS - MXLs and SXs. I've been switching all my reels over to them, because for the most part, the reels operate, as good now as they did when purchased. And, I'm not one to religiously wash my gear.
That said, one of the six has been problematic. It is an SX with bearing issues. Maybe they got a bad batch of bearings.
I think Lep referred my to the site below. Lots of reel gurus on here.
http://www.alantani.com/

lami7040

posted 07/27/2012 10:26 AM  

Bearings

Roger,
There was a good thread from last November titled:
Avet SX vs. Daiwa Saltist BG 20
I posted pretty much the exact same complaint you have here that the bearings suck and the unsatisfactory response I was receiving from the manufacturer. I tend to think I learn from my mistakes and I want to take care of my equipment, but there is no way to prevent these bearings from crapping out. At first I got jumped all over by the defenders of the avets, but then others posted that they have to change their bearings every season, sometimes twice.
All this "how are you bathing it interrogation" is BS. They have issues with their bearings. It oould be that the reels/bearings are not designed to handle braid.
Oh and after tearing down and reassembling my MXL with the replacement pinion and spool bearings sent to me by Avet. The reel is starting to grind again.Roll

lami7040

posted 07/27/2012 10:34 AM  

And another thing, what a stupid design for a reel to have that you can crunch and destroy the bearings by moving the lever to full. What if you hand the reel to well-intentioned novice or a kid. There is no clear marking on the dial that says that this overall drag setting will kill reel when moved to full even for an instant.

srg44mag

posted 07/27/2012 02:10 PM  

I own 4 avets, mxl mxj and 2 sx's.

All but one of the sx have held up great.

the one sx in question has failed 3 times in 2 seasons.
I spoke to Scott at avet several times, he never remembers me though and he never returns calls. That being said he he tried that same "you dont maintain and clean your reels properly" crap with me so after telling him that he personally told me exactly what to do ..as far as dunking them in the fresh water and what not, he always did the right thing in repairing it and sending it back at no charge. The main problem I have with them is that, like bingo said they wont acknowledge the fact that there is a problem....I love my Avets as long as they work

lami7040

posted 07/27/2012 02:22 PM  

There clearly is a difference between the older generation avets and the newer ones. So when people say that they have performed great for 6 seasons, that may be because they were purchased 7 years ago when they were made better. It seems they built their reputation, got bigger, started mass-producing and the quality went downhill.

elnath

posted 07/27/2012 02:32 PM  

lami7040 wrote:

And another thing, what a stupid design for a reel to have that you can crunch and destroy the bearings by moving the lever to full. What if you hand the reel to well-intentioned novice or a kid. There is no clear marking on the dial that says that this overall drag setting will kill reel when moved to full even for an instant.

that's true for nearly every lever drag reel.....

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.