Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

2013-2014 New York Islander Discussions

Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Discussion Boards > The Angler's Lounge
Savvy18

posted 09/15/2013 12:06 AM  

Okay, so the season is just around the corner. I actually thought about buying tickets to the exhibition game against NJ next Saturday at Barclays. Decided not to. I have a funny feeling that building (as it is currently laid out) will be a big disappointment for hockey. After having been there twice (for concerts) since it opened less than a year ago, I can tell the rink won't be centered under the scoreboard or in the middle of the arena. If you buy seats at one end of the building, you might feel like you are watching the game from another arena.

Since hockey (and especially the NY Islanders) don't garner much local attention, I wonder if they will ever fix that place to make it hockey friendly. I mean their big money deal is the NBA and concerts. Why would they bother?

How funny would it be if the Nassau Coliseum ends up being a better option for hockey once it's completed?

Ahhh, ya gotta love them Islanders!

Welcome to the new season fellas!

"I FISH FOR FUN...WHEN IT 'AINT FUN, I WON'T FISH"

JesusBird

posted 09/15/2013 06:45 AM  

DP will be back again, anyone want to bet?

Rodwinder
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods

posted 09/15/2013 07:52 AM  

I am a season ticket holder, i am going to the game Saturday because i am curious also to see what the arena will look like set up for hockey. When it was announced that Ratner got the deal to rebuild the NVMC i starting hoping there would be a way for them to stay put

Rodwinder on Facebook

V.I.S. Imaging, Ltd.

JesusBird

posted 09/15/2013 07:55 AM  

Thats what i was thinking also

Savvy18

posted 09/15/2013 06:06 PM  

I was thinking the very same thing.

Truth is, the Isles moving to Brooklyn works out great for me because I can walk to the Barclays Center from work and jump right on the train to go home. It also puts the organization in the middle of NYC in a borough that is RED HOT for growth and is challenging Manhattan for "cool people" supremacy. Puts a much needed spot light on the team.

However, If the arena is not a fit for hockey, what's the use? I would rather see them stay in Nassau in a completely renovated & re-designed building that IS BUILT FOR HOCKEY!

Think about it. This team (and organization) is already having trouble filling seats. Putting them in a new location, in the heart of Ranger-land in a building that IS NOT a good fit for hockey could be a very tough sell for Brooklyn fans. The seats are NOT cheap, even in the lousy locations.

It could be a blessing or it could be a disaster. Guess we have to wait and see.

The best case scenario is Wang sells this team to someone with more passion for hockey and with tons of money to spend because my opinion is they need an overhaul from GM, to player development, to their scouting staff & they need someone with a sharp hockey mind to take the lead.

OFFTHEHOOK

posted 09/23/2013 09:19 AM  

Anyone go to Barclays Saturday night? Curious what the experience was like besides the on ice performance. Read some good and bad reviews.

It is what it is.

Rodwinder
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods

posted 09/23/2013 09:40 AM  

I was there Saturday. I was in section 109 which gives you a great view of the rink. Before the game started i went up to the 200 section and there is a lot of obstructed view up there. Its also kind of weird not see any seats behind the net on the entrance side. The place was nearly full but seemed so quiet i know it was a preseason game but i think the layout of the building which has the seats moving a lot further away from the ice really limits the noise and makes it seem like the crowd is flat. From where i live its only a 20 minute ride on the train but if it were up to me they would stay on the Island

Rodwinder on Facebook

V.I.S. Imaging, Ltd.

Savvy18

posted 09/23/2013 11:13 PM  

From what I have heard, there is a plan in place to add seats to that area you spoke of rodwinder. I'm guessing sometime BEFORE the Isles move in.

I did also hear about the obstructed view seats. Can't understand why a BRAND NEW building in this day and age has "obstructed view seating" ANYWHERE!

I'm very skeptical at this point.

hauler

posted 10/03/2013 09:59 AM  

I'll be at the Home Opener Sat. against Colombus.

Regarding Barclays:

a. Good team will draw good crowd just like at NVMC

b. Bad team will draw the crickets in from Jamaica Bay.

There's a hitch somewhere between the Barclays owners and their power over NVMC. Heard something why Isles couldn't simply shift lease back to NVMC should Brooklyn not work out.

My Three Keys to the Season in priority order:

1. Can Nabby pull the workload and be effective and if not is Poulin ready.

2. Do we see the KO we saw down the stretch and into the playoffs. Much needed.

3. Do we see the Josh Bailey we saw upon his return from injury into the playoffs.

The performance of those two forwards greatly strengthened the depth of this team. Without them playing at their expected level we're a one line force I'm afraid.

Sorry to hear Clutterbuck will miss 4-6. Should be fun with him and Martin on the same line or subsequent lines. Either way teams will have to keep their heads up.

Rodwinder
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods

posted 10/03/2013 11:48 AM  

I will be there too Hauler

Savvy i have extra tickets if you need

Rodwinder on Facebook

V.I.S. Imaging, Ltd.

hauler

posted 10/03/2013 09:07 PM  

Ken Dyneko says Isles best of the NY /NJ teams up

Michelletti saying its the Rangers on today's fan.....really....down

NHL Channell has the Rangers two in the Metropolitan Division:

Pens
Rangers
Philly
Caps
Isles

What are they smoking? ConfusedConfusedConfused

This post edited by hauler 09:08 PM 10/03/2013

Savvy18

posted 10/05/2013 03:01 AM  

Caught the replay of the Isles vs. Devs tonight. Unfortunately, I had to listen to that a$$-clown Chico and his whiny voice! Man, that guy makes me wanna throw up.

It was a good game. Entertaining. Nabby looked great in the shootout. Happy to get the win in Jersey.

Still feel the Isles are too small, especially on defense. Like the youth of the team. Wish they had a big enforcer type though. While I like Martin, I don't think he fits the role of "enforcer."

After watching the Rangers throughout the pre-season and last night in Phoenix, I think Ken Daneyko might be on to somethingWink No doubt in my mind the best player in the tri-state area is John Tavares, HANDS DOWN!

You have to remember they are playing without their heart and soul guy, Callahan and their best forechecker, Hagelin.

likeitreallyis

posted 10/05/2013 08:30 AM  

..good game , shaky on defense. Too many rebounds not cleared. Nabby looked good

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

hauler

posted 10/05/2013 09:56 AM  

Didn't see much of the game but caught the OT and SO. Nabby won the SO.up

Surprised Cappy waited six slots before using. Moulson.

Grabbers two goals while a result of his great speed shows Jersey fans why Schneiders the number one goalie.

Savvy18

posted 10/06/2013 09:37 PM  

It only took two games for the "old" Islanders to show up....

Played a great two periods of hockey. Give up a goal and before you know it, tie game. Holding leads was their achilles heal last year too. This defense is too small and cannot handle down-low pressure. They also don't have enough experience back there.

This will be a recurring trend for the 2013-2014 season until they address these problems. Which I have NO DOUBT, they WON'T!

Discussion Boards > The Angler's Lounge Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.