Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Fuel Problem????

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
strip
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

Fly Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 06/29/2004 09:25 PM  

I just got my '86 Yammie back from my mechanic on Saturday after he rebuilt the head.
Breaking it in over the last few days went well.
Today I filled the tank for the first time this year and took her out. After running fine at first she started acting like she wasn't getting fuel.

She would keep shutting down after 5 or 10 min of running. While running she sounded good for the most part. Getting oil no problem.

The squeeze ball on my fuel line would get soft and collapse.

could this be because of the "new gas" with the 10% ethanol.??

I think there was something I heard through the grapevine about some outboards needing a new fuel pump to deal with the new gas?

Mobsta

posted 06/30/2004 12:06 AM  

Ill tell you exactly what it is. I myself had the same problem. We just had engine work done and after running the boat started basically started switching gears and what not and acting like it wasnt getting fuel. Now the carb is clogged in one of the jets, and the mechanic has to take it apart and clean it out. He explained that the new gasoline with the alcohol is cleaning out the tanks. So you have 20 years or so of built up debris in the tank being cleaned out and sent through the engine. Its causing alot of problems, bad for us, but good for them.
-Tom

Fishing the Island...Mobsta Style
AIM HANDLE: MOBSTA616
EMAIL: [email protected]

fliesthatcatch

posted 06/30/2004 10:43 AM  

I with Mobsta on this one but I would change the water seperator first I read that thei ethenol will clean your tank and will also allow water into system ok if you have injectors not good if you have carbs. I have changed 3 water seperators this season and all seems ok now and have not put a new one in in over 30 days and motor is running fine now
BC

CHUCKFISH

posted 06/30/2004 01:19 PM  

if the bulb is colapseing their is a restriction in the line from the tank or in the pickups in the tank...the fuel pump is trying to suck gas thru the restriction and colapsing the bulb

leakyrivot

posted 06/30/2004 01:33 PM  

quote:

The squeeze ball on my fuel line would get soft and collapse.

As I think someone has stated.. when the squeeze ball collapses it's a restriction.

It can be either in the fuel line between the tank & bulb, or the tank vent - either will make it so a vacume is created, collapsing the bulb.

Luckily for once, that's also an easy problem to diagnose and fix.

Jon

"Kids, don't try this at home."

MVPAEC

posted 06/30/2004 02:47 PM  

I had a similiar problem. It was an easy fix. The gas line going into the engine disconected from the elbow on my evinrude. Could be as simple as that.

Fishmania19

posted 06/30/2004 03:02 PM  

Fuel economy/ Speed problems

Fuel economy/ Speed problems

I have a 19 foot that has a small cabin and a 115 Merc on the back of it. What should the top end speed be. The boat is fiberglass and has weight. But it seems that I cannot even break 25 mph at full throttle. I would think it should go faster. I have a Sting Ray piece that I put on the engine, and this is supposed to make the fuel economy and speed even better. The previous owner said it should be able to hit 35. Is this reasonable? The prop is a just a little bit knicked. Could there be water stuck inside the hull of the boat itself? Could setting the Trim be the problem? Would this affect speed; would the boat rock a certain way. Would the symptoms be obvious or subtle towards any of these possibilities? Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

toolin1

posted 07/01/2004 05:24 PM  

if none of the above fixes the problem try this

check the tank vent that is mounted to the boat hull. the screen in the vent sometimes corodes and blocks the vent there fore cousing a sealed tank. as the boat uses fuel it turns the tank in to a vaccume untilkl the fuel pump cant pull fuel from the tank because the pump suction and the tank vaccume are equil.

or just try this.

the next time you go out and it starts to run bad open the filler cap, if the problem goes away the problem is the vent. if it doesent the problem is between the engine and the fuel pick up in the tank.

tight lines to all.
be safe.
enjoy yourself.
conservation now means much more fish later.

reelfisher
Noreast.com Club Member

Posted Reports
Partyboat Fishing
Fisheries Management

posted 07/01/2004 08:21 PM  

I'm sorry that your having problems but I'm happy to hear that you finally got your boat back from the mechanic.

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and
since it's in English, thank a soldier."

strip
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

Fly Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 07/06/2004 05:19 PM  

Thanks for all the comebacks!

You guys are great.Smile

My mechanic took out the small screen filter that was in the draw tube in the tank and it was totally covered in a redish crap.
He feels this small filter will clog easier and faster than the seperator filter which has more surface area. So I'm gonna run it like that and change that seperator filter a few times and hope the problem goes away.

strip
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

Fly Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 07/11/2004 01:33 PM  

Hmmmmmm....

So filter #1 was changed out this morning after using the boat yesterday......she was fine yesterday.....but after I put her in this morn the bulb would not pump up so I changed out filter #1.

used her all morning put maybe an hour on the engine and she was fine.....I take her out and while I'm flushing the engine she cuts out and again the bulb is flat can't get any gas!

Could filter #2 be packed already?

Filter#1 wasn't so obviously messed up ....gas seemed fairly clear.....maybe a little tinted rust color?

anyway I guess I'll try filter #3.

How many filters could this take?

when I say filter I mean gas water seperator.

togman

posted 07/12/2004 11:01 PM  

i had same problem when i purchased a 27 gallon portable tank for my 19' mako cc....changed fuel line//ball//fittings on tank//took cap off tank like mentioned above..motor would run fine until i opened her up...give it 10 seconds and ball would collapse and motor would bog down...i always carry a second 6 gallon spare tank and once i connected that same fuel line to the small tank\she ran normal..i was convinced it was the new 27 galllon tank..turned out to be the screen inside the tank was picking up little red shavings from inside the tank itself.what a pain in the butt.....needless to say- i am very superstitious and so the tank sits in the shed..bought a smaller 13 gallon tank to go with the 6 gallon and both fit under the console...

<><

Hipshot

posted 07/13/2004 08:10 PM  

There could be a simpler salution/cause--there is an "o" ring in either end of a fuel line in portable tank connections and always in the engine end on outboards (Johnson and Yammahas anyways) I don't know about Mercs! The problem happens when the "o" ring deteriates and the engine now will suck air-not fuel and collapse the bulb. It happened to me a few times when I used aftermarket connections! I now use only Yamaha. Also I have had the crome peel off the ball of the after market connectors! I would check these first and MAYBE save some money!
Hipshot

(This post edited by Hipshot on 07/21/2004)

BOBBERT6

posted 07/13/2004 08:28 PM  

same problem with my i/o powered bertram.

seem ethanol in gas takes moisture from the air and some how breeds that red algea. only solution so far is changing fuel filter/water seperatior every 30 hours. have noticed that last gas purchased did not have that heavey alchol smell. also noticed fuel line from filter to engine was getting spongy at fuel pump. may also be from alchol.

bob "the old timer"

strip
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

Fly Fishing Forum
Posted Reports

posted 07/14/2004 01:08 PM  

Bobbert

That is exactly what I am experiencing!

what the hell are we gonna do??!!

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler Page  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36  Next  
Jump to:  

2022 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.