Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

SNOWBLOWER REVIEWS RATINGS & OPINIONS

Page  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Discussion Boards > The Angler's Lounge
chinacat

posted 01/13/2011 03:21 PM  

Well, I've decided this last storm has pushed me over the edge so I am going to buy a snowblower in the near future. I've been hoping to stumble upon a good used one for some time but it hasn't happened. I'm hoping retailers are going to overstock them in the next couple of weeks and then have good end of season sales in another month or 2...

I've been doing my research and have zoned in on a 2 stage type in the 24" to 28" width range. I'm still up in the air as to whether to get a "good" quality home center model or spend the extra money and get a top line 1.

Looking for opinions from other snowblower owners on what brands they own, how they like them, and would they reccomend their brand to others. THANKS

Tizod

posted 01/13/2011 04:30 PM  

That's funny, I was thinking the same thing yesterday morning.

I was all warm and cozy in my bed not having to worry about getting up and going to work work from home day) when my doorbell rings.

It's my neighbor telling me that I should probably get up and shovel my sidewalk....why?, apparently, because we live on a block with a school we are liable to get a ticket from the city if we do not "provide a clear passageway" on days that the schools are open - like yesterday.

I don't mind shoveling snow but that's bullsh!t if you ask me.

This means that regardless of the amount of snow, if the school is open I need to clear my sidewalk.

That got me to thinking about a blower but probably just a small electric one.

I don't think now is the time to be looking for a used one or any deals however.

"Go **** yourself commie *******" - Noreast Republican Club

qlty

posted 01/13/2011 04:38 PM  

I love my Airens st 864 Blower 6 forward 1 reverse trans locks for great traction.Needed TLC when I got it on Craigslist for $50.00 Now it runs like a deer.

Koz54

posted 01/13/2011 04:39 PM  

Tizod wrote:

I don't think now is the time to be looking for a used one or any deals however.

True, kind of like looking for an air conditioner mid July Wink

CC did mention that he will wait and buy one later in the winter up

I don't remember the model snow thrower I have, but will take a look later. Supposedly a decent brand (Ariens) but I am not all that happy with it. It was a gift about 5 years ago so I can't really complain ( Roll ) but it is a mid sized unit that has no drive gear. (you have to push it)

The carburetor needs to be taken apart and cleaned every year. Even stored dry it sticks after sitting all summer. (I do add Star Tron) Not a huge deal, well now that I know that Toungue

The belt slips sometimes. New belt made no difference. It is not the most convenient unit to do a belt adjustment on either. down

~Piker MacGyver, Noreast Piker ~ Never left

JESSIELEE

posted 01/13/2011 04:39 PM  

Don't look any further than an Ariensup

Joe-"In Pursuit"

summerx

posted 01/13/2011 04:43 PM  

When my 20yo snow blower died last year I got a Toro Powermax 1028 OXE. I call it the beast and it has a 305cc motor and a 28" width. My wife said "OVERKILL". But after the last 2 storms it proved its worth. My old one I would struggle with to get through the road plowed drifts at the end of the driveway, Now I can just go right through it. At 53 I'm looking for less hard work in my life. My advice is to go with the biggest and best you can comfortably afford. You may not use it often but you'll appreciate it when you do need it.

Treasurer- Kayak Fishing Association of New York
www.KFA-NY.org

aka Flukebelly

fatties123

posted 01/13/2011 04:44 PM  

i'll look at mine tonight too. i used it yesterday for 20 minutes. all of a sudden it stopped. when i tried to restart (pulling the cord and tried to start it electronically) it wouldnt turn! gas is fine gas/oil at 50:1.

STRIKERTHREE

posted 01/13/2011 04:54 PM  

Gonna get me a Can Am Outlander 800R over the summer with a plow do my driveway in half the time as it does with my snowblower and more fun and easier to go do my fathers and my mother inlaws just drive it over instead of needing someone to help me lift it into the back of a pickup like it do the snow blower. My neighbor has a Rubicon with a plow and its allot easier

Proud to be Union U.W.U.A 1-2

American by Birth Union By Choice!

Skilled Labor isn't cheap and cheap labor isn't skilled !!

This post edited by STRIKERTHREE 04:57 PM 01/13/2011

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 01/13/2011 04:55 PM  

Good luck with finding one, any one, this winter. From what I have heard on the news and seen in the stores they are sold out, and there won't be anymore coming as the factories have all switched over to making lawnmowers.

Personally, I think I'm going to visit a welder and get a plow frame made for my truck, I already have the plow blade, pistons and pump from my old truck. For somewhere near the price of a snowblower I can get the snow cleared from the comfort of a heated cab. Shades

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

This post edited by MakoMike 04:56 PM 01/13/2011

canyonfvr

Noreast.com Website Features
The Angler's Lounge
Posted Reports
Welcome Aboard

posted 01/13/2011 05:05 PM  

Going shopping for one this weekend looking at the Aries

its a  tiger shark A WHAAT

CANYONFVR OUT

Cornfield

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 01/13/2011 05:06 PM  

canyonfvr wrote:

If you do manage to find one I'm sure they are going to be getting top dollar for it. None of the HD or Lowes or other big stores I have been in over the last few weeks has any in stock. Try smaller places.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

This post edited by MakoMike 05:08 PM 01/13/2011

STRIKERTHREE

posted 01/13/2011 05:09 PM  

canyonfvr wrote:

Try Ace hardware they had a bunch

Proud to be Union U.W.U.A 1-2

American by Birth Union By Choice!

Skilled Labor isn't cheap and cheap labor isn't skilled !!

togilator

posted 01/13/2011 05:11 PM  

I have a sears craftsman 8 HP 27" with briggs and stratton engine for 6.5 years now and it has given me good trouble free service.I have 6 foward speeds and 2 reverse.

I by no means think it is the best machine out there but I paid $499 at a september pre season sale and if it broke tommorow I would run out and buy another as I wait and get this one fixed.Shoveling just plain sucks.I do about 2 to 3 driveways with it each storm,mine the parents and wifes grand poarents.It has electric start but I just pull the cord as I find it easier.The only problem I have had is the plastic choke/run adjustmant broke,I use a flat head screw driver for now.My friend bought the almost same model just with 9 HP,its a bit more powefull and quicker but paid like a $150 more.He to is happy.The only maintanance I have done is change the oil once a season and run all the gas out at the end of the winter or eaarly spring when we have no more snow.Next season it has always started with 1 or 2 pulls.

For the price I paid it was the best investmant I have ever made,worth its weight in gold!

canyonfvr

Noreast.com Website Features
The Angler's Lounge
Posted Reports
Welcome Aboard

posted 01/13/2011 05:12 PM  

MakoMike wrote:

canyonfvr wrote:

If you do manage to find one I'm sure they are going to be getting top dollar for it. None of the HD or Lowes or other big stores I have been in over the last few weeks has any in stock. Try smaller places.

Im hoping they get restocked by the weekend

its a  tiger shark A WHAAT

CANYONFVR OUT

Cornfield

summerx

posted 01/13/2011 05:16 PM  

Try also online like Brand New Engines or Snow Blowers Direct etc. Without sales tax it may be practical and available.

Treasurer- Kayak Fishing Association of New York
www.KFA-NY.org

aka Flukebelly

Discussion Boards > The Angler's Lounge Page  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next  
Jump to:  

2019 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.