Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

braided line

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
vinny2008

posted 03/12/2002 05:13 PM  

I am trying power pro 30lb test on a penn 704 for the first time. When I spooled up the line wasn't tight on the spool and a 300 yd spool of line filled the spool up. Question, should I put backing on the spool and wind the power pro line on tight ( i thought I wound it on tight the first time ) or leaving it on a little loose is ok? This is my first time using this product and I am not sure what to expect. I use this outfit strictly for casting plugs. Thanks in advance.

Jaiem
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 03/12/2002 06:39 PM  

Hi Vinny.

300 yards is a lot of line, espeically something as expensive as PP.

I use 150 yards of 30# Fireline, but the method can be used for PP too.

I take an extra reel spool and load the fireline (in your case PP) on first. Naturally, it doesn't fill the spool so I "top" it off with mono fo the same diameter as the Fireline. I use a pair of Uniknots to connect the mono to the Fireline. Then I take off the spool, put on another spool and load the line in reverse from the spare spool. Thus, the mono on top of the spare spool is now underneath the Fireline/PP as backing.

There is the extra cost of a spare spool but I have found this to be the easiest way to measure backing and line.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

Democracy is NOT two wolves and chicken deciding what's for dinner.

BeachRat

posted 03/12/2002 11:01 PM  

You need to put some mono backing under the pp. Or the pp will move,revolve? on the spool. Plus it cuts down on the amount needed to fill the spool. Power pro cast great and you can feel a fish fart but don't fish it like mono let the fish hook itself. If you yank back like with mono you will rip hooks out of small fish ( its terrible on weaks). Also since we almost all fish with graphite rods and now braid there is little give and something always have to give. One more thing keep it out of the rocks.

Incognito

posted 03/13/2002 09:58 AM  

Beachrat, with the right setup Power Pro is excellent line even for weaks. I've used it last season and nailed numerous weaks in the five plus pound category and one weakfish just under 9lbs.

I've seen so many guys fish with it and when they get a hit, pull back like the're trying to turn the fish inside out. All that's needed is a good sharp snap of the wrist to set the hook.
vinny2008,
Mono backing is absolutely necessary not only for the expense factor but it cushion's the line to the spool and goes on much tighter. The expense factor is offset by reversing the line after a few months of usage. All of my fishing is strictly casting plugs and jigs, using PP you'll find that you'll outcast anything that you've used before and that your lures and jigs will perform better in the water because of the low weight to line ratio.

topaz4kylo

posted 03/19/2002 08:45 PM  

Don't forget to wrap your casting fingers with some medical tape, lest you cut into your finger tips. Power pro is GREAT line, but it will do you some harm if your not careful.

wader

posted 03/19/2002 09:49 PM  

Jaiem - great idea. I can never judge when I've got enough mono on the reel before I start loading theFireline. Inevidably I come up short.

"....inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened??"

wader

posted 03/19/2002 09:49 PM  

Jaiem - great idea. I can never judge when I've got enough mono on the reel before I start loading theFireline. Inevidably I come up short.

"....inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened??"

Zooted

posted 05/06/2002 02:57 PM  

A couple months late but I always wet braided line first before putting on any reel. I've been using it for years now and will never go back to mono.

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.