Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Good rod for bait fishing??????

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
bluefish999

posted 05/17/2004 11:55 AM  

I usually go baitfishing, and I use a 10ft uglystick. To me the rod just doesnt throw the bait out there far enough. I am looking to buy a new rod that is best for tossing out alot of weight. I can spend about 150$ to 200$. Any input on a good rod for throwing out heavy chunks and weights would be appreciated. Thanks.

p.s I am also thinking of buying a Penn 704z for this rod, would that be a good match???

tman1

posted 05/17/2004 12:05 PM  

Penn makes a decent 11ft rod that's able to cast 6 oz of lead and a chunk. pair this with either the 704Z or 706Z with 20lb ande or BG and you'll have a capable bait outfit in your price range.

I've heard that both Tica and Tsunami make a good inexpensive rod as well. I would stick with the Penn reel because they are simple and durable.

B4sunup

posted 05/17/2004 09:13 PM  

Get A Custom Rod.

If it were me I'd spend a couple extra bucks and get a custom Lamiglas rod built at a local tackle shop. The 3m should do you fine and matchs well with the 704z. I think this set up will run about $250 but it'll be well worth the extra money. You will be able to toss a 6 ounce sinker with out a problem and an 8 ounce can be done as well. You will get many years of use out of this rod, they're very sturdy. You might even find someone to build this rod less expensive if you ask around. Don't cheap out on surf equipment as it really takes a beating and in the long run it's worth it. B4Sunup

mattyblazer
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 05/17/2004 10:13 PM  

Daiwa

the Sea line X or whatever the current model is is great for the money, and the ticas look good.

-Matt
http://community.webshots.com/user/mattyblazer

topaz4kylo

posted 05/17/2004 11:30 PM  

Great rod

Hello all,

I use an 11' ugly big water spinning, with an older Diawa longcast surf reel, I am not sure of the Diawa model at this moment. I can heave 6oz with a hearty chunk nicely, and not even get my feet wet. I do cast rather strongly, and I do stress my rod in the casting, HOWEVER, I do have great trust in my stik, and my reel, and my proline 50lb line.

I am not employed by ugly stik, etc...
I happen to value the toughness, and the dollar value.

Good luck to you all out there in the suds.

raregroove

posted 05/17/2004 11:59 PM  

Choices

I added a Tsunami 11' rated to 10 oz. I didn't like it until I realized it doesn't even load properly with under 6 oz, it handles 10oz + a chunk nicely and comes in 2 equal pieces (important if you use a smaller car). They also make a 12'. Just check the workmanship carefully as on all the inexpensive rods. Really a good deal @ $90.

Ocean Master, Pinacle, Daiwa Sealine X are also suitable. A lot of guys down south reccommend the Ocean Master as the best choice or a inexpensive heavy duty stick with the best performance.

sorethumb

posted 05/18/2004 05:42 AM  

I use the 11 ft. ugly stik with a shimano spheros 14000FA and do not have a problem at all throwing 8oz. and a bunker head with 30lb. test quattro The newer spool designs are letting the line come off the reel much more effectively although the 704 is an indestructable reel I personally gave up on Penn and like my shimano so far.Just my .02 cents

posted 05/18/2004 05:32 PM  

Try a different direction...

...and go conventional for bait fishing. In the long run you'll enjoy it a lot more. Better control and greater castability than spinning. Will take some getting used to, to develop the educated thumb, but worth the effort. I switched last year and after one or two trips I was very comfortable with the gear.

Frankie Fish
LIBBA 1807

The Lenman

posted 05/19/2004 08:50 AM  

What your looking for is a 8NBait rod or Hatteras Heaver

My favorite is custom stick...

Outcast 1625...This rod is sweet.....easy to load...got the length to aide in long distance cast and will handle the weights you want...and light as a feather...

Many heaver fans love the Breakaway 1509 2 piece/1 piece or the spin off Rainshadow 1509 (designer at breakaway left company and started rainshadow) the wisphers tell me that the rainshadow version is even better than the breakaway model...

If you looking for store bought stick and economical...many like the Oceanmaster in the 12 foot range and the Tica 12 foot...

Last but not least...up north here there is a very very big following with the serious south shore guys....Lamiglas 1361MH....also custom built...most of these guys fish conventional reels with 50lb test...

I would recommend going conventional also...and if new to the game...get one with modified mag plate...helps dramatically....

mattyblazer
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 05/19/2004 10:22 PM  

I think that some of you

passed way out of the $150 to $200 range by a little.

-Matt

The Lenman

posted 05/20/2004 11:17 AM  

It's all about choices.....

Matty your correct some of the choices are higher priced...and like all things in life its about choices....

$200 mind you is not a very low budget rod...and it is very common for most of us starting out to first buy an ugly stick....upgrade to $200 rod...and eventually look at top of the line models....

I am sure we all have a garage filled with lesser priced models...nothing wrong with at least knowing what the other options are...

The Tica and Oceanmaster...are right in your target range...and many feel are true low cost heavers....

If you want top of the line...Outcast and Breakaway/Rainshadow fit the bill but will double your $200 budget...and should be custom built by someone who builds heavers alot...

If you want a long distance fishing rod that is a joy to fish...can cast the heck out of 8NBait a long way....look at the Outcast....It is a sweet rod...

SandFlee

posted 05/20/2004 04:10 PM  

go convetional, as said before more, control

$200 for a custom Lami Graphite is not gonna cut it, trust me just went thru this a month ago, i bought the St. Croix Premier Surf conv. rated 6-8 ounces my Arse. snapped like a twig whie tossing 2 oz and a chunk.

the Lami GSB blank is gonna run 200-210 bare blank + components your lookin at 300+ a $75 Penn Squidder. too rich for my blood considering how much i really use a heaver, well heres what i did and after casting my new stick i wouldnt change a thing.

8+BAIT
1364M Lami Fiberglass HONEY blank cost $100-$110
i removed 7" from the tip bringing total length from 11'4" to 10' 9"

Hard Alloy guides 7 #25,#20,#20,#20 #16,#16,#16 plus a (Sic) Silicone Carbide Tip.

Cost for 7 Hard Alloys was $13
tip SIC guide was $15

NCP (size D) thread, flex coat, and a few hours a night wrapping and some coaching from an experienced rod building friend and u have a gorgeous honey blank at a total of 160-180 complete and
it'll last you a lifetime.

RacerX

posted 05/20/2004 05:29 PM  

Hi SandFlee,

I was wondering why you cut the blank back 7" and also what tip size did you end up with.

Thanks

Shag

posted 05/20/2004 07:06 PM  

Lenman,
I fully appreciate where you are comming from. I have two conventional bait rods built from all star blanks.
A 1509 and a (I forget) but its a 10 footer and is a rod of choice heavy jigging "The Ditch" cape cod canal.

I use a daiwa 30shv on the 1509 and an Abu 7700cl on the 10 footer. Having gone the s-glass and Mh lami route years ago, I feel the all stars are a major improvement. When I bought these rods I sought help from the Southern Brethren down in Hatteras. 8nbait is the norm when the drum are on the point, and distance is the rule. Although I'm no master at the conventional, I've put an 8oz through the goal post at the other end after starting behind the goal post. Whats that a 140 yards, and believe me I suck compared to alot of these guys down south.

Now factor in that the originator of this post is using an ugly stick and a spinner; and has probably been very successful at catching. After all the fish are usually right off the shoreside drop within reach of a Snoopy rod.

Tica, tsunamii, ocean pro, daiwa are all light years ahead of that ugly stick.

JMHO
Pete

mattyblazer
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 05/20/2004 11:05 PM  

Not that you all dont have valid points but,

He said
quote:

I can spend about 150$ to 200$. Any input on a good rod for throwing out heavy chunks and weights would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Matt

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.