Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Need Blackfish recipe

Page  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Boards > Partyboat Fishing
LReelerdp

posted 10/31/2005 02:39 PM  

I need an easy recipe for blackfish. I can deep fry them but I'm getting tired of that.

MermaidCT

posted 10/31/2005 02:48 PM  

EZ Broiled Blackfish

Get yourself a set of single-serving oval oven-proof dishes like restaurants serve broiled food items in - then it is easy to make separate servings with whatever seasonings/toppings each person may like.

Spray the dish with butter flavored PAM - then dip the boneless/skinless filet into a half/half mixture of melted butter and olive oil - place into oval baking dish and top with whatever you choose:

salt & pepper
any spices/herbs you like
crushed crumbs (Ritz are very good)
commercial spices like Emeril's (Emeril's original is really good!)
use your imagination! other spices/herbs good with fish are: cajun, tarragon, parsley, chives, shallots, etc.

bake in oven @ 375F for 10-15 min per 1" thickness of fish - don't forget the lemons! the fish should look WHITE AND OPAQUE AND SHOULD FLAKE EASILY - NOT gelatinous at all.

(This post edited by MermaidCT on 10/31/2005)

MermaidCT

posted 10/31/2005 02:55 PM  

Blackfish Chowder Serves 6

1 - 1.5 lbs. Blackfish fillet - Rinse fish and pat dry. Cut into bite sized (1/2 inch pieces) and set aside.

4 slices Bacon

2 tbsp. Butter or margarine

1 large Onion, chopped

1 cup Red potatoes, raw, diced

2 cups Water

1/2 cup Clam juice

1 can Evaporated milk (13 ounces)

1 can corn (15 oz)

1/4 cup Flour

1 tsp. Salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

In a small skillet sauté bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, blot excess fat with paper towels, crumble and set aside.

Discard bacon dripping except for approximately 1 tablespoon. Place in your soup pot. Add butter, onions and sauté until tender but not brown. Add potatoes, water, clam juice and evap. milk. Cover and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

In a jar combine flour and 1/2 cup water. Put on lid and shake to combine. Add to potato mixture stirring constantly to blend flour into cooking liquid. Bring to a gentle boil and boil 1 minute to cook flour and thicken the mixture.

Add corn and fish and simmer for about 10 more minutes or until fish and potatoes are done. Fish will cook quickly - potatos are done when you can stick a fork in them. Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Continue heating over medium heat until chowder thickens.

OPTIONAL: herbs or flavorings like thyme (1/2 teaspoon give or take) or sherry (a good splash) are good in this too.

LReelerdp

posted 10/31/2005 03:14 PM  

I like the sound of the first recipe in the single serving dishes with the crumb topping.

MermaidCT

posted 10/31/2005 03:36 PM  

The middle rack of the oven works well - too close to the top of the oven and your crumbs might get overdone.

canyonfvr

Noreast.com Website Features
The Angler's Lounge
Posted Reports
Welcome Aboard

posted 10/31/2005 07:15 PM  

check the recipie section here i beleive lep has a good one posted

its a  tiger shark A WHAAT

CANYONFVR OUT

Cornfield

rpbluett

posted 11/01/2005 01:27 AM  

DR.FISH'S BLACKFISH CHOWDER its not "easy" but it sure is tasty!

LReelerdp

posted 11/01/2005 10:48 AM  

Blackfish with breadcrumbs

Hi Mermaid,
We tried your recipe last night and it came out rather well. We baked it in the oven for 10 minutes and then put it in the broiler for one minute to brown the crumbs. The fish came out great. I did overdo the crumbs a bit. Next time I will use less crumbs.
But any way thanks alot. I needed something new as I am a creature of habit.
I would like to find a creamy sauce to add to this dish.

raekwon

posted 11/01/2005 12:39 PM  

I never developed a taste for any cooked white-meat fish like tog. I do like tog chowder but I can't just bake it and enjoy it. Plus I stink at cooking fish. I tried this and its pretty good, one of the few ways I'll eat tog:
Gamakatsu's Blackfish Poki

MermaidCT

posted 11/01/2005 01:12 PM  

I read that poki thread - that sounds really good!! Thanks!!!

Here is a recipe with a creamy white sauce:

Cod (or striper or blackfish) au Gratin

6 servings

1-1.5 pound fish fillets, give or take
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese(or other cheese you like - swiss?)
optional: bread crumbs or Ritz cracker crumbs

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8x 12 inch baking dish. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add cod fillets and cook for 4 to 6 minutes; drain.

2. Melt butter in a saucepan. Put the milk and flour into a jar with a lid, and shake to mix well (this will avoid lumps). Add flour/milk mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. You can add other seasonings you like, too - parsley, thyme, etc. Feel free to add/"doctor it up" with whatever you like.

3. Break fish into large pieces in baking dish, alternating layers with sauce. Sprinkle top with shredded cheese. Optional: sprinkle cheese w/crumbs.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese is browned.

(note: you can make less - just 1/2 everything and use a smaller dish).

(This post edited by MermaidCT on 11/01/2005)

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 11/01/2005 01:24 PM  

Take a look in the "Noreast recipe" area for Mrs. Leprechaun's baked Blackfish. MMMMmmmm.

lep

"Hi, my name is Pete and I have a fishing gear problem."

jpd

posted 11/01/2005 01:27 PM  

Weird

Bluefish recipes come up when you search blackfish. Anyway this should be the link.

Ms. Leprechaun's Baked Blackfish

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns." - Mario Puzo

mudman

posted 11/02/2005 11:35 AM  

A good recipe for blackfish (also fluke and flounder)...what I call blackfish caccitore

put some olive oil on bottom of baking dish
put a little parsley flakes and basil on the filets, and some garlic
you may want to put a little marinara sauce on bottom of pan instead of the olive oil
bake in oven at 350 for about 15 minutes

while filets are in oven, saute some onion, green and red peppers and mushrooms in olive oil and garlic (not too much - so they are still crisp)
then put on the filets with some marinara sauce on the filets for last 5 minutes of cooking

fairly easy to do (I'm no cook) and comes out really good.

mudman

DarthBaiter

posted 11/02/2005 01:57 PM  

Fillet the fish nice and clean, cut the meat into small bite size chunks, dip in soysauce with some wasabi in it....eat. One of the best tasting sushi.

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

SI Fisherman

posted 11/02/2005 03:38 PM  

Try putting the fish in an oven proof pan and covering with thinly sliced onions,green peppers,tomatoes,olives and some capers. Drizzle over some olive oil and add some white wine to the pan. Dont forget to salt and pepper the fillets first (I actually use Sazon on the fillets). Bake in 350 oven for about 20-25 minutes add some lenmon and enjoy.

Discussion Boards > Partyboat Fishing Page  1, 2, 3  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.