Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

For any high school fishing clubs...

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Future Sharpies
MissingLink08

posted 08/18/2013 07:18 AM  

Launches First International High School Fishing Club Challenge

COLUMBIA, S.C. (August 14, 2013) – Berkley fishing tackle is going back to school. High school that is, with the launch of the first International High School Fishing Club Challenge. Beginning August 15th, high school fishing coaches can register their school to participate in the program. The program lasts through the school year and offers numerous fishing related opportunities, rewards, product samples and prizes.

“The program is designed to encourage more students to participate in fishing activities through their high schools,” says Roxanne Coleman, Senior Field Marketing Manager, Berkley Fishing. “Throughout the year clubs will be given a variety of team and individual challenges and the successful completion of those tasks will earn the club rewards and points for the team.”

The ultimate goal is to win the Berkley High School Cup. The winning team receives $4,000 in prizes for that fishing team. Berkley will also be awarding 2nd place, 3rd place and honorable mention finishers. This program is not just about catching the biggest or most fish; it’s about learning fishing skills, nature conservation and creating a lifetime hobby.

“Berkley Fishing is stepping outside the box to bring a one-of-a-kind fishing program to high schools in the US and Canada,” said Chris Hockley, Berkley Brand Marketing Manager. “Our objective is to enhance the student’s enjoyment of fishing and all that comes with the sport.”

Fishing clubs do not have to be sanctioned by the local board of education, but must be a part of the high school, just like the debate or math clubs.

MissingLink08

posted 08/18/2013 07:25 AM  

Make sure to contact Roxanne Coleman. She has been excellent in assisting with help for our club. Her email address is: [email protected]

Captneilf
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 08/23/2013 08:21 AM  

This is excellent!

I wonder how many HS fishing clubs are in operation on LI?

The Batson blank and component company gives assistance for such educational groups in the form of very good prices for rod building goodies. Mud Hole is also doing educational stuff. Coordinators can contact these good folks.

I will make myself available if a HS club near me needs a speaker for a meeting. Thru rod building I purchase from both Batson and MudHole and have contacts in both. Another company possible could be brought to the table if you desire.

In the past I had ideas of teaching rod building to HS students if an opportunity presented itself. I was told I could not since I was not a teacher. Interesting in that I believe some other States would have allowed it. If you are a local HS fishing club moderator and have an interest in including rod building as part of your club program contact me and let's see if we can get something going.

Capt Neil Faulkner
631-567-8049

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods  
The Long Islander Series
The MAXIMIZER Series

(631)567-8049

This post edited by Captneilf 08:23 AM 08/23/2013

MissingLink08

posted 08/23/2013 02:36 PM  

I have heard through the grape vine that linden hurst might have the club

At the seminar we held, I met two different guys (one from Longwood, one from east meadow) that I sent my info on companies and individuals who have been a great assistance in getting a club going....I'm always looking to help and share what I've learned thus far w anyone.

Most schools are wary about letting anyone other than a teacher run what you are talking about. One great way around this is to have a teacher "sponsor" such a session and act as the chaperone. It would be no different than having a guest speaker come in and should work to get in to many schools and have them be comfortable.

Go figure but in my experience thus far, I have found that clubs do exist in high schools but most are in the southern states.

Captneilf
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 08/24/2013 05:20 PM  

We live on an Island

surrounded by salt water. If anyone should have fishing clubs in schools it is us. My experience shows me that the further one gets for the big cities the easier it is to accomplish such things, especially getting away from NYS.

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods  
The Long Islander Series
The MAXIMIZER Series

(631)567-8049

MissingLink08

posted 09/10/2013 04:47 PM  

Capt Neil....your last statements are very true and unfortunately sad...

Captneilf
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 09/19/2013 11:28 AM  

Hi Bob,

Is your fishing club one that meets all thru the school year?

Do you have need of an occasional guest speaker?

Would they ever be interested in a charter or maybe being a group on a PB?

Capt Patrick of the Capt Gillen, Captree, is showing interest. I bet I can find others who might be interested. We need young anglers to carry on our passion for fishing.

Neil

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods  
The Long Islander Series
The MAXIMIZER Series

(631)567-8049

MissingLink08

posted 09/19/2013 01:41 PM  

Hi Capt Neil,

Yes we do meet throughout the year. We actually had our first meeting this past Tuesday and I am getting some of the kids in the club out on the Celtic Quest later today.

We have done the guest speaker route in the past and will continue to do so. I do hold it off till the winter months some. This year I am trying to get the kids out and do as much as possible as the weather permits.

In addition to today's trip, we primarily go out of Port Jefferson. Capt Amanda and Capt Des are so accommodating and great with us. In addition to that, they are just a few miles away from our high school. We also have a charter set up in Oct in Orient with Capt Phil Kess on the Fishy Business. I was thinking of doing something with Capt Patrick or Capt Nick Manzari in the summer when the local bite quiets down some.

Any ideas, please share them at any time...

This post edited by MissingLink08 01:42 PM 09/19/2013

ffishhunterusa

posted 09/19/2013 03:05 PM  

ward melville hs 3village distric does

up

CATCH AND RELEASE STRIPEBASS LIBBA #1000

Captneilf
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 09/19/2013 04:21 PM  

Hi Bob,

While the weather is nice contact Capt Barbara and ask her to show the anglers how to throw a cast net. A good way to get fresh bait.

Wish I had know you had a trip today. I can usually stow away on those pb's, ha, ha!

I take it you are going on the 4:30 PM trip. Beautiful weather. Have a blast.

Neil

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods  
The Long Islander Series
The MAXIMIZER Series

(631)567-8049

MissingLink08

posted 09/20/2013 06:41 PM  

ffishhunterusa wrote:

up

Treblehook17

posted 09/20/2013 07:04 PM  

Fishing Club

I have tried to set up a fishing club or even an outdoorsman club at my high school but I found there to be little interest other than my fellow teachers. Kids are so focused on working or joining a club that looks even better on their college transcripts. Perhaps I am at a disadvantage as I teach at a district in the middle of the island where most residents struggle financially. I have offered to advise/oversee the club for free as our district will not commit funds to clubs like this. I have taken a few lessons with Capt. Neil on rod building and proudly hang my own custom made bass rod with the school colors and mascot on it in my classroom. In addition to the content specific photos, maps, and posters I throw in a few pics of tuna, shark, bass, and other tasty treats to try to generate discussion. I even tried to raise funds to organize an open boat trip for 25 lucky seniors but the district is quite restrictive on fundraising for non school sanctioned events. I will continue to look for ways around all of these roadblocks. I am sure there are some future sharpies walking the halls of my school.

Captneilf
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 09/20/2013 09:26 PM  

Treblehook17

Hi,

It makes me very sad to read your post. I will leave it at that.

Keep trying.

Nice touch having your rod and info in your class room.

Neil

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods  
The Long Islander Series
The MAXIMIZER Series

(631)567-8049

MissingLink08

posted 11/08/2013 07:29 PM  

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/about/news/international-high-school-fishing-club-challenge-goes-strong

This post edited by MissingLink08 07:36 PM 11/08/2013

Captneilf
Noreast.com Club Member

Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 11/09/2013 09:52 PM  

Berkley and High School competition.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the site info. I checked it out and was disappointed to see what appears to me to be all fresh water competition and a fresh water pro staff. I did not see any mention of salt water. What a shame. It does not surprise me due to I believe that there are way more fresh water anglers than salties.

Can we find out how many high schools have a fishing club locally?

Here is my thought process. We are surrounded by salt water and we have excellent party boat and charter boat owners, captains and crews. They are located all around our island. If we could get the NYS DEC, NY Fishing Federation, the LIF, Noreast, Captree Boatman's Assoc, fishing clubs and or any group I have missed behind the idea of competition for high schoolers it would be a great feat.

We don't need Berkley. There are other businesses that offer help to fishing students such as the Batson fishing blank and components company. I bet MudHole has such a program.

For the source of getting to the fish I can almost guarantee that some of our party boat owners would be willing to help.

It all comes down to how many schools have fishing clubs and would they approve such competition.

I think it can be done even on a limited scale.

Neil

Capt Neil

Custom Fishing Rods  
The Long Islander Series
The MAXIMIZER Series

(631)567-8049

Discussion Boards > Future Sharpies Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2022 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.