Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Restaurant caught serving untagged bass

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum
emuehlbauer

posted 11/02/2013 11:01 AM  

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/02/nyregion/restaurant-is-accused-of-selling-bass-illegally.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0
I'm sure this happens a lot. My favorite neighborhood Italian restaurant sometimes has specials of striped bass. The waiter told me that the chef occasionally takes a charter out of Montauk, where he gets the bass.

KingKeith

posted 11/03/2013 07:04 PM  

It def does. I believe a full bass tagged is 8-10/lb

justpassinthru2

posted 11/06/2013 10:41 AM  

Thats just wrong!!!

What if I had a restaurant, went bass fishing with a couple of my friends, we all caught our limits.....legally I might add.... whats wrong with inviting friends and family down to the restaurant on a Saturday and cooking up the catch for all to enjoy????? If he did this in his home, he wouldn't have been bothered. What difference does it make where the fish are prepared and eaten???? Makes perfect sense to me to do this in his own restaurant.....Just another form of income for the state, thats all.

twinscrew

posted 11/06/2013 12:32 PM  

I've brought fish (striped bass included) into my local Chinese restaurant many times to have them cook it. They don't charge much for cooking either. Of course we order other things also. I don't see anything wrong with that.

In this case though I think he had it on the menu or at least advertised it as a special. That's wrong.

DarthBaiter

posted 11/06/2013 01:15 PM  

Hopefully the DEC officers knows the difference between striped bass and Cheilean sea bass.

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

twinscrew

posted 11/06/2013 01:31 PM  

DarthBaiter wrote:

Hopefully the DEC officers knows the difference between striped bass and Cheilean sea bass.

LOL Darth. Last year a guy was BBQing striped bass on the beach. A ECO came along & wanted to give him a ticket for having short striped bass. I had to point out to the ECO that what the guy was cooking were hybrid striped bass not wild caught bass.

PURSUITWA

posted 11/06/2013 01:51 PM  

That place has a nice Chicken Parm.

Skatemaster,time to apologize to Tevlin's parents

DarthBaiter

posted 11/06/2013 01:58 PM  

twinscrew wrote:

DarthBaiter wrote:

LOL Darth. Last year a guy was BBQing striped bass on the beach. A ECO came along & wanted to give him a ticket for having short striped bass. I had to point out to the ECO that what the guy was cooking were hybrid striped bass not wild caught bass.

They can't tell the difference with the skin on, imagine them trying to tell apart fillets. surpriseSmile

PURSUITWA

posted 11/06/2013 02:02 PM  

I've seen the owner of a south shore restaurant go out on his boat and catch stripers that will end up on his menu. I assumed he had the correct license.

If a retaurant has a license to serve it as a menu item, does it have to buy it from someone? Could the owner have not caught the fish himself and served it? What if he went out to Montauk on a charter with 5 friends, they each caught their 2 keepers according to the regs and they gave him the fish to serve in his restaurant? Just hypotheticals.

Skatemaster,time to apologize to Tevlin's parents

This post edited by PURSUITWA 02:03 PM 11/06/2013

DarthBaiter

posted 11/06/2013 02:08 PM  

PURSUITWA wrote:

I've seen the owner of a south shore restaurant go out on his boat and catch stripers that will end up on his menu. I assumed he had the correct license.

If a retaurant has a license to serve it as a menu item, does it have to buy it from someone? Could the owner have not caught the fish himself and served it? What if he went out to Montauk on a charter with 5 friends, they each caught their 2 keepers according to the regs and they gave him the fish to serve in his restaurant? Just hypotheticals.

A rec cant use his catch for profit. Even if it was given to him. No tag, no sale.

petert

posted 11/06/2013 02:30 PM  

Dave pasternack, owner of acclaimed seafood restaurant "Esca" in nyc, partners with Mario batali, has written multiple times in his books about cooking catches of cod and striper and serving it in his restaurant and putting it out to the public

If you want to try bluefish sashimi and enjoy it, go here

YellowRB

posted 11/06/2013 02:30 PM  

They have good pizza, I eat lunch there all the time.

I understand that tags are required, that is to help regulate the commercial fishery and keep sources legitimate?

I was bass fishing next to a really nice guy last Saturday who was explaining the tag system to me, he had 15 tags left, gave me some great tips too.

FlyTimes

posted 11/06/2013 04:42 PM  

food sold in a restaurant is regulated (you wanna eat catfish some guy is catching from the local sump?), this guy was catching striped bass and illegally selling it to the public he advertised it on his specials menu (local striped bass) i'm sure they were watching this guy for a while and word is it wasn't just bass he was doing it with. you guys wanna hang the spear fisherman out east and yet defend this guy?

nice guy though 23lbs of portion size cuts and 3 whole bass for his staff. yeah okay...

Just Your Friendly Neighborhood Sea Lamprey

This post edited by FlyTimes 04:49 PM 11/06/2013

petert

posted 11/06/2013 05:05 PM  

FlyTimes wrote:

food sold in a restaurant is regulated (you wanna eat catfish some guy is catching from the local sump?), this guy was catching striped bass and illegally selling it to the public he advertised it on his specials menu (local striped bass) i'm sure they were watching this guy for a while and word is it wasn't just bass he was doing it with. you guys wanna hang the spear fisherman out east and yet defend this guy?

nice guy though 23lbs of portion size cuts and 3 whole bass for his staff. yeah okay...

I agree and that's why I rarely buy seafood out unless I am super comfortable with the place which is only a handful of restaurants/markets in my eyes. I'm not worried about the sump catfish, I'm more concerned about the farm raised shellfish/fish on the menus especially the imported stuff. You would think as a fisherman the owner of the restaurant cared for the fish with the utmost regard, but no one knows what his standards are. And no one really regulates fish after it's sold to restaurant properly which is just as crucial as from the catch, if they were so many places wouldn't be selling rancid seafood

MakoMike
Noreast.com Club Member

Noreast Writer

posted 11/06/2013 05:48 PM  

petert wrote:

And no one really regulates fish after it's sold to restaurant properly which is just as crucial as from the catch, if they were so many places wouldn't be selling rancid seafood

Got new for you no one really regulates fish before its sold to the retail establishment.

But IMHO those regs as applied to a restaurant are ridiculous, no restaurant wants to waste valuable freezer/cooler space on storing garbage.

====MakoMike=====

Click here for The Makomania Sportfishing website

Makomania out

Discussion Boards > General Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.