Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

yami 2001 ox 66 losing rpms

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler
offracing

posted 11/21/2013 08:36 PM  

after a long run to near pablo (moriches) land last saturday, coming back home was running about 26 knots when all over a sudden the power drops and i suddenly have not much power, then having to run about 10 knots back to the barn, then all of a sudden the power comes back slowly but surely and runs normal for a while, then repeat itself, and also how much oil should i be burning, i put in almost a gallon before i left port and had the oil bell going on after about 45 miles of running, is this normal?, thanks in advance guys for helping me troubleshoot these issues.
carl

DieselTech

posted 11/21/2013 09:19 PM  

I'm not certain but I believe the ox66's run around 50:1 at WOT up to about 60:1 depending on how you are running the boat. So for every 50 gallons of gas you should go though around 1 gallon of oil. As for the RPM's it could be a number of issues, the oil being one of them if your over oilling, which you should see excessive smoke. Fuel filters/ water in the fuel is probably where you should start as that cna easily restrict fuel delivery

I think it's a MAKO

jhtunafever

posted 11/21/2013 09:24 PM  

ox's and HPDI's eat a lot of oil,as for your other problem ,could be numerous things, bad gas,clogged fuel filters,injectors.
I'll ask my buddy he works for spellmans.
He has the exact same year,225 hp, I don't now your hp.
Jay

This post edited by jhtunafever 09:25 PM 11/21/2013

offracing

posted 11/21/2013 10:11 PM  

thanks guys

jhtunafever wrote:

ox's and HPDI's eat a lot of oil,as for your other problem ,could be numerous things, bad gas,clogged fuel filters,injectors.
I'll ask my buddy he works for spellmans.
He has the exact same year,225 hp, I don't now your hp.
Jay

thanks guys , i forgot to mention its a 250hp, it was weird the boat would just lose power then after a little bit the power and rpms would increase by itself without touching the throttle, hope its something minor, thanks again.
carl

DieselTech

posted 11/21/2013 10:24 PM  

Definitley sounds like a fuel delivery issue, start with the filters, could be dirty filters, water in the fuel and if not I would start going through the lines between the motor and the tank, chekcing for collapsed fuel lines, blocakges etc. possibly something floating around the tank blocking the pickup

I think it's a MAKO

offracing

posted 11/21/2013 11:29 PM  

thanks guys

DieselTech wrote:

Definitley sounds like a fuel delivery issue, start with the filters, could be dirty filters, water in the fuel and if not I would start going through the lines between the motor and the tank, chekcing for collapsed fuel lines, blocakges etc. possibly something floating around the tank blocking the pickup

thanks, guess im done for the season, ill have her taken to the marina where im storing her and have my buddy mike g give her a once over and hopefully get her right for next season, thanks again guys.
carl

DarthBaiter

posted 11/22/2013 09:07 AM  

offracing wrote:

DieselTech wrote:

thanks, guess im done for the season, ill have her taken to the marina where im storing her and have my buddy mike g give her a once over and hopefully get her right for next season, thanks again guys.
carl

Carl, this the same one that was giving you hard time at starts in the summer?

I've been driving around with the few tools for the O2 sensor and VST filter change in my car since the cancelled tog trip.

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

offracing

posted 11/23/2013 12:27 AM  

different

DarthBaiter wrote:

offracing wrote:

DieselTech wrote:

carl

Carl, this the same one that was giving you hard time at starts in the summer?

I've been driving around with the few tools for the O2 sensor and VST filter change in my car since the cancelled tog trip.

hey joe, hope all is well buddy, your the man thinking about me and carrying the tools around, its actually a different problem joe, the old problem was a hot hard start but that issue was taken care of, thanks again joe and hope to see you soon.
carl

MACKS

posted 11/23/2013 09:08 AM  

It you were low on oil and that's the reason the oil bell went off the engine will automatically reduce the rpm to prevent damage to the engine,did you add oil after the bell went off?

xpdsgt

posted 11/23/2013 03:35 PM  

Check the high speed fuel filter inside the VST. Have a 2003 200 hp ox66, and have had the same issue you describe. Engine would run fine at idle, but bog down when I throttled up. Filter gets a white powdery substance that clogs the filter. You can clean it with fresh gas and blow it out with an air compressor.

CatchThis2

posted 11/23/2013 03:36 PM  

Had the same problem with my Yamaha 200 HPDI about 2 months ago. Noticed it especially when I was fishing the ocean and had to climb swell. Would have normal power then when any load was put on engine she would loose rpm's. Check your fuel filters. On the HPDI there are three and once you start picking up sediment in the finer filter you start developing this problem

offracing

posted 11/23/2013 04:22 PM  

thanks guys

xpdsgt wrote:

Check the high speed fuel filter inside the VST. Have a 2003 200 hp ox66, and have had the same issue you describe. Engine would run fine at idle, but bog down when I throttled up. Filter gets a white powdery substance that clogs the filter. You can clean it with fresh gas and blow it out with an air compressor.

thanks guys i ran the boat today for a while and everything seemed fine, i did put more oil in after the bell went off, but it still had the issue, guess when i haul her next week ill have my guy check all the filters, thanks again guys.
carl

JMetaxas

posted 11/29/2013 11:38 PM  

Sounds like a clogged VST filter.

sodibc

posted 11/30/2013 07:50 AM  

250 ox66 bogs

Hey buddy sorry to here about your troubles I am a Yamaha 5 star certified tech u need to check a few things first install a vac gauge between the fuel tank and lift pumps any more than 4" of vac indicates a fuel restriction 2nd install a fuel pressure gauge on the vst shreader valve pressure at wot should b 53 lbs finally when oil alarm sounds engine goes into rpm reduction u must turn key off and add oil to reset it remote tank holds 2.5 gls and alarm will sound at 1 gl I assume u dumped water seperator in a clear jar and checked for water if all this checks out the engine has 3 mechanical lift pumps u can remove them and look in the hole that they r pulsed from if diagphram is wet the pump is bad you can pm me if you want to talk

offracing

posted 12/01/2013 12:47 AM  

thanks

sodibc wrote:

Hey buddy sorry to here about your troubles I am a Yamaha 5 star certified tech u need to check a few things first install a vac gauge between the fuel tank and lift pumps any more than 4" of vac indicates a fuel restriction 2nd install a fuel pressure gauge on the vst shreader valve pressure at wot should b 53 lbs finally when oil alarm sounds engine goes into rpm reduction u must turn key off and add oil to reset it remote tank holds 2.5 gls and alarm will sound at 1 gl I assume u dumped water seperator in a clear jar and checked for water if all this checks out the engine has 3 mechanical lift pumps u can remove them and look in the hole that they r pulsed from if diagphram is wet the pump is bad you can pm me if you want to talk

thanks so much for your input, i took a chance and ran her from babylon to freeport to my buddies marina where she is gonna be on blocks, it ran fine all the way to freeport than lost power again and as soon as it lost it a few minutes later it just came back as if never losing power at all, my buddy mike is gonna give it the once over for me, but its good to know i can use you if i have any questions or maybe need a yami guy, thanks again.
carl

Discussion Boards > Boating Angler  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.