Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Penn Battle 2000

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Reel Maintenance and Repair
VooDooChile

posted 10/16/2012 08:57 PM  

My reel makes noise while reeling in with a fish on, or with some weight on the line. Without any weight it does not make any noise. I have taken it apart but I don't see any problems. The noise seems to occur at either the top or bottom of the spool stroke, or occilation. It is hard to tell exactly where it occurs because it does not do it when reeling slow enought to look for the exact time when the noise happens. It sounds like a part is hitting another part.

Any help on this one?

reelcranky

posted 10/18/2012 08:40 AM  

I had one for a month. Its crap.

"Live by the tide, plan by the current, and follow the fish!"

fishnwrestle

posted 10/19/2012 02:36 PM  

i definatly wouldnt say its crap. i have had mine for the season and have had some pretty good results. have had bluefish to over 12 lbs on it, had 19 false albies with it, probably had close to 250 fluke with it to 6 lbs, had some mahi to 8 lbs, and have been gettiing blacks to 4.5 lbs with it. i will say that i have had problems with the handle being hard to turn when the spool was at the top and bottom of the cycles, but for some reason, when u take the spool out, and just blow into the hole and on the shaft it was on ( not sure what it does , i thought some thing was stuck in there but nothing came out that i saw) it works fine. this has happened 2-3 times , and id like to know y, but th reel has definatly exceded my expectations!

THE THRILL IS IN THE KILL

reelcranky

posted 10/19/2012 07:02 PM  

Great to hear. you enjoy. Let me know how she is next year.up Maybe i had a lemon.

"Live by the tide, plan by the current, and follow the fish!"

fishnwrestle

posted 10/19/2012 11:15 PM  

thanks, ill let u know. hopefully it stays real good to me.

THE THRILL IS IN THE KILL

rbencze

posted 12/29/2012 01:15 PM  

Penn Battle

up I have 3 Battle's 2, 5000's and 1 4000. I have had a lot of success with this reel matched to a Star rod 10' MH, and 9' Tica Surge, they both handled fish upto 16LB Blues and 22lb Stripers. The combination works very well and you can fish all day because of the weight. If your having trouble with a tight retrieve at the top or bottom check the rotor nut I have noticed if its too tight it will create a drag at both positions as well as noise. Also make sure you do a good job cleaning the gears ect. These reels do not do a great job keeping the salt out. Tight lines..Shades

fishscape

posted 12/30/2012 04:12 PM  

PENN REEL

I love PENN reels but these are amazing stories. Got. Penn Fathom and had the exact same problem. When u crank just when the handle gets to the 6 o'clock position you hear a scraping sound and feel a rubbing this was with no line on the reel. Penn called it a defect got another reel. When I buy new reels line does not go on right away. I examine the reel for a couple of days before line is applied

Ronn Rob

ghostrider

posted 12/31/2012 09:25 AM  

No Longer made to USA quality

Just another example of a company putting profits ahead of quality. The quality control of Chinese manufacturing is less then stellar.

"All the way, Every day"

treypescatorie

posted 12/31/2012 10:05 AM  

I picked up a Penn Battle 2000 along with a Penn light/medium action rod that I plan on using in the bay, mostly for buck tailing fluke. Have not fished it yet, can't wait to try it!

beatonem

posted 12/31/2012 10:47 AM  

The wife and I have fished 5000 battles for 2 1/2 seasons, light rinse after each trip and winter cleaning and lubing haven't had a problem yet super smooth.

Like everything always a chance for a lame duck, I have had more problems with some of my more popular pricey reels, just the way it is sometimes!

Happy New year to all! BEATONEM

rbencze

posted 12/31/2012 02:34 PM  

Tolerance's

Hey Fishscape, I do have to agree that some of the tolerances in manufacturing are not as close as they could be, for ex: I have a 760L Slammer and for a while my 20# braid would fall in between the line roller and the bail cup and would chafe the line till the next time I would theough it and snap there goes another $5 rig, (Happened several times) I called service and left messages with 2 engineers and never heard back so I attempted to machine the lenth of the shaft on the bail where the roller rides to create less of a gap and was very successful. I would have thought that a $180 reel would not have had any Problems. As for the Battle Line all I'm saying is that for the money I don't think your gonna find a better reel. Also my amazing stories are facts not stories. Check some of my posts,

likeitreallyis

posted 01/07/2013 01:53 PM  

Stay away from these POSs !!

I have one new that cost me a bunch of plugs

The bail trips on any cast with a little force.

Piece of crap. China does not make Penn reels like the Americans did.

Not even close.

downdown

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

Slick56

posted 01/08/2013 09:00 AM  

likeitreallyis wrote:

Piece of crap. China does not make Penn reels like the Americans did.

Not even close.

downdown

Bob, stick to your 704, 710 and 712 and you wont lose plugs!!! upWink

><((((º> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

twnyc

posted 07/24/2013 03:14 PM  

penn battle 5000

my penn battle 5000 is making sandy noise on the retrieve. i took it apart and rinsed. took off the black grease and put on new blue grease. put a few drops of oil in it. still makes sandy noise. what else should I do?

shalom

posted 08/03/2013 03:20 PM  

It might be the roller bearing

If it seems to work great fast/slow with no line going through the line guide it might be the line roller, if everything else is ok and your reel seems tip top otherwise, (its the one under your line guide on the bail it can be easily looked over when your reels making noise), try taking it out cleaning it oil it if its still making noise you may need to change unless you don't mind a little noise. If not you might need new bearings on either/and/or the pinion and crank unless you dont mind a little noise from the bearings. As for the last question if the sandy noise occurs with or without a load most likely it could be the bearings if the gears mesh well and spool shaft is straight.

Discussion Boards > Reel Maintenance and Repair Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2021 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.