Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

porgy/seabass jigging

Discussion Boards > Jigging and Popping
tigeroscar

posted 10/29/2013 06:37 PM  

I was wondering if anyone on here has and any luck with the lucanus style jigs for fishing seabass and porgys? Iv been getting on them good and just got some lucanus jigs il give a try this weekend. Im in the western sound fishing rocks in 35-55 feet of water.

tigeroscar

posted 10/29/2013 06:37 PM  

also for those of you who do jig them, what other kids of jigs work? how do you work the jigs?

DarthBaiter

posted 10/29/2013 06:43 PM  

The cheapest diamond jigs work fine for Porgies and C-Bass. No need to spend mad dollas on $$$lucanus jigs. up

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

tigeroscar

posted 10/29/2013 06:57 PM  

What about the hooks? i have some a17s i was gonna bring along aswell but the hooks are so big on them

DarthBaiter

posted 10/29/2013 07:04 PM  

tigeroscar wrote:

What about the hooks? i have some a17s i was gonna bring along aswell but the hooks are so big on them

You can change the hook out with some Gami siwash hooks. up

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

fishnwrestle

posted 10/29/2013 08:53 PM  

diamond jigs work great, you can tip them with a strip of squid if u want but not necessary, and a teaser up top never hurts either

THE THRILL IS IN THE KILL

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 10/29/2013 09:07 PM  

John from Trophy Tackle is a big proponent of lucanus jigs for seabass. He wrote a bit about it here.

I fish for seabass almost exclusively with jigs. No bait on them. Often the larger fish will take the jig more readily than the small fish, so it's nice for that, and that it allows you get your hook back in the water faster to catch another when they are thick instead of messing around with bait.

I use a light rod and 20# test line and then the smallest jig that I can to get down, in up to about 100' of water or so.

President, RAIBS
Recreational Anglers against Internet BS

fishnwrestle

posted 10/29/2013 10:07 PM  

hunt n fish- do u find any metal jig better than others, i saw u had a diamond jig in 1 pic and another type of jig in another.

THE THRILL IS IN THE KILL

Hunt n' Fish
Noreast.com Club Member

Boating Angler
General Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
Hunting

posted 10/30/2013 05:26 AM  

I just use the smallest jig I can to get down. I don't particularly worry about color or shape. In that top picture, all the paint is chipped off of what was a pink jig.

Sometimes I find the key is to not move the jig much either. Hit the bottom, raise it up a couple feet and hold it there. If you find you keep dropping a lot of bites at the top of your yo-yo, try that. As you see in that third picture, they're not shy about coming off the bottom some times.

President, RAIBS
Recreational Anglers against Internet BS

KILSONG
Noreast.com Club Member

Jigging and Popping

posted 10/30/2013 12:31 PM  

Many fishermen use Lucanus style jigs as normal jigs.
Lucanus style jigs are designed for slow cranking with soft rods.
When cranking slowly, fish follows, nibbles skirted lure and decide to bit it. The small hooks are used for this kind of fishing.
If you jig in normal way, you lose lots of fish because of small hooks.

If you want to jig with Lucanus style jigs in normal way, you'd better replace with bigger hooks.

funcatching

posted 11/05/2013 08:59 AM  

Finally caught some sea bass on 5 oz Lucanus jigs on yesterday's Brooklyn VI offshore wreck trip. Some obervations
- Lucanus jig seems work better in deep offshore than inshore shallow. Got pretty good bite in AM on jig while in deep water.
- as Kil and John said, Lucanus jig is designed for soft tip rod with a continuous reeling, no setting hook with jerking action. I felt it's more like fluking than diamond jigging. When you feel some resistance(fish nibbling on skirt), continue to slowly reel and if the sea bass decides to bite, it will hook itself. To me, it's less work than diamond jigging (need to constantly swing up).
- jig needs to be moving by either casting out or squidding up & down.
- couple guys were diamond jigging nearby without any bite.

Discussion Boards > Jigging and Popping  
Jump to:  

Contact Us
Boat for Sale
Get Help Using the Site

� 2019 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.