Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

A Look Into the Mind of a Spot Ho,..

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 11/28/2013 01:39 PM  

I mentioned that I might try to document the process of learning to fish my new area (Virginia Beach area). Here's my first pass at a small section of shoreline running from the southern tip of the entrance to the Chesapeake several miles to the east along the shoreline. I always start by locating viable areas, in this case using Bing maps in bird's eye mode, and then driving around and looking at them up close and personal. I further refine my notes based on what I find.

I then attempt to fish them just to start dialing in the specifics, like tide delay, water depth, currents, any obvious structure located in the vicinity. And again, I refine my notes based on what I find. I try to group a couple nearby spots together and look at them all in rotation (closest to inlet/source and work my way back). I try to make the most efficient use of my time when working new spots. So this is typically how I begin the process.

Fishing Possibilities in VB Area

South Thimble Island - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
The most southern man-made island and the first stop heading north on 13 going over bridge tunnel. Big pier w/ amenities. Open 24 hours. Not sure of fees or if full toll cost is in effect. Season pass maybe?

MAP-1 LOCATIONS

Note - the entire shoreline running east to west between (B) and (D) has no access that I can see. It's all private homes, hotels, or naval base.

A) First Landing State Park
Located right near the northern point entrance to Chesapeake Bay, just west of Fort Story Military Base on the actual point. Looks like a small state park, has a toll booth. Check for night fishing access, permits and/or fees.

B) Shore Drive Bridge - Entrance to Lynnhaven River
1) No access on this side from what I can tell. It's all hotel land (just out of view in pic). Not sure bridge can be walked. The bridge does have lights which is good.
2) Looks like a town/state launch facility. Find out the name and check for availablilty, permits/fees and night access. Gives access to two good points (3 & 4) as well as the whole boat channel that appears to be tight to the shore. Area 5 looks like a nice point as well with some (unofficial) 4x4 access to it as well as the stretch below the border of the pic.

C) The Long Creek Bridges
Right near the Lynnhaven River entrance. All four bridges appear to have a bicycle/foot lane on their east side.
1) Appears to be access from public parking lot (north out of pic) via small dirt road that goes down and under bridge. There are boat trailers there but I don't see any gates upon close look.
2) Sign says "Boatel" and appears to be fenced on either side. Access to that long pier would be nice. Possible night stealth move.
3 & 4) Both areas seem to be ungated marina access points. Maybe permits required?
5) Nice point if I can figure out access to it. Foot access across the bridges is probably the only way.
6) This middle island (whatever it's called) does not appear to have any parking whatsoever. Close up shows its a very exclusive area. Will have to walk in aacross the bridges.
7 & Shades Appears to be some unofficial access to those back areas but will have to look closer. That shoreline is also very exclusive, so I'm sure access is probably limited.
9) Another of what looks like a public (ungated) marina with a nice dock line.

D) Little Creek Area - Another Shore Drive Bridge
Bridge appears to have walkable lanes on both sides and is lighted.
1 & 3) Appear to be ungated marina access with (1) having some unofficial extra parking via a small dirt road down to the bridge.
2 & 4) More unofficial access via dirt roads off a main road.
5) Might be able to access this pier at night.

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

This post edited by RichTrox 01:41 PM 11/28/2013

tomjg

posted 11/29/2013 11:20 AM  

Good stuff Rich- thanks. It's easy to see how excited you are to start the next chapter of your life/fishing. Can't wait to hear about your results.

mistersalty

posted 11/29/2013 11:31 AM  

VB Fishing

I lived in VB from 99-'02 and caught a lot of "Rockfish" at night in the Lynnhaven Inlet casting under the bridge at night starting in December into.January. Incoming seemed best if memory serves. Good spot in the summer to liveline peanuts and spot which can easily be taken with a cast net right there. Access back then was from the western side of the inlet where you could park and walk in. There's also some places to park back in the neighborhoods just west of the CBBT where you can wade out a good ways and fish the pilings under the lights. Lots of trout and reds on light tackle in the back waters of Great Neck bay and Lynnhaven bay. Have fun exploring and don't pass up an opportunity to go out on anyone's boat in the Chesapeake Bay or out for excellent Fall Tuna Fishing.
Mister Salty

Many fish bites if you got good bait...

stpaul7
BIG DOG WINNER

posted 11/29/2013 11:33 AM  

looks good so far yes please keep us posted up

BOAT FISH COUNT  MAMA MIA FISHING

surfphisher

posted 11/29/2013 08:11 PM  

First Landing Park looks interesting. A big drop-off that close to the Atlantic would irresistible for me to go and map bottom structure with bucktails.

http://www.pierandsurf.com/fishing-forum/showthread.php?88979-Fishing-Just-South-of-First-Landing-State-Park

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 11/29/2013 11:36 PM  

Thank you mistersalty. That area jumped straight out at me and it's good to know that I'll be able to access it. Beside the bridge, I like the channel running tight to the shore. I'll like it better if it has holes or bars in it LOL. And thanks surfphisher for the link. I was wondering how strict they are on parking on the streets in that area. I have a lot of learning to do and I am soooo looking forward to getting started.Smile

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum  
Jump to:  

2019 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.