Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Do You know Willy?.....Willy Young and Surf Fishing.....

Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
DarkSkies

posted 11/04/2013 02:06 PM  

I don't know how many of yas have ever met Willy Young...
He's not very tall....
not very big....
He has been described as crabby, cantankerous.,.....obstinate,,,,,single minded, determined.....
Stubborn....

DarkSkies

posted 11/04/2013 02:08 PM  

I hope I don't upset Willy by saying these things...because through it all, some might throw these things at him to put him down,,,,they attack him like that because most of their arguments have no substance

One of the observations I made monitoring the threads in this forum lately, and others...is that if Willy is such a small man...he has an awful lot of commercial fishermen here, afraid of him....

DarkSkies

posted 11/04/2013 02:09 PM  

Willy has done many things for surf fishing....
And anglers everywhere....

He has fought hard for access for fishermen...
Has fought for striped bass at fisheries management meetings....

Plumber60

posted 11/04/2013 02:17 PM  

Has jumped in his car after work on many occasions to drive to Albany. I don't know Willy, but I've met him on the beach a few times. Friendly guy, just like most other surf casters face to face. With out a guy like Willy, many of us would only dream of fishing, and driving on beaches. Strength in numbers. Back him up, cuz he's backing us.

DarkSkies

posted 11/04/2013 02:18 PM  

Along the way, he has made a few enemies,,,,looking at some of the posts and threads here...it's apparent some hate him with a passion,.....

But in looking over these hateful posts...what seems most clear, to me, is that these haters are those out there who are afraid of Willy, and what he has done to improve things for those who fish the surf, and all anglers overall.........

So rather than pointing out the obvious, and the legislative things he has done over the course of fishing over 50 years.......

I thought some of ya's out there....
who are sick of the negativity being spewed about him in some other threads....

1. might want to talk about your experience regarding him and fishing....

2. or Willy and surf fishing since this is the surf fishing forum....

3. Did you ever meet him?
(I have, several times, the first being quite a few years ago.....will come back to talk about it when I have some more time)

4. What was your impression of this Crabby Old Man? Toungue

5. Did he help you, or give you some helpful advice on life or Surf Fishing?

Share it with us here....it's about time to counter what some of the negative nellies are saying.....

**And maybe the new members, know nothing about him, or who he really is..might learn some things....
(besides the Crabby Old Man who we see on the internet....Smile)

I was hoping some of ya's might want to share some of your positive interactions with Willy RE surf Fishing, and show some support for him here....so we can give the newer members, a better picture of who he really is, and what he has meant to the world of surf fishing....

AND fishing for ALL of us...

Thanks for reading......up

This post edited by DarkSkies 02:37 PM 11/04/2013

surfphisher

posted 11/04/2013 03:44 PM  

Now this is a very nice, well deserved thread! Good job dark skies up

I only hope the mods squash any trolls or hijackers....keep this thread respectful for a man that has earned it.

Plumber60

posted 11/04/2013 03:55 PM  

Dark Skies,
I should point out to you, that Willie takes all of their attacks with a very big smile on his face. It doesn't worry him in the least. We have spoken about this, in the dark while taking a break from the crashing water on the rocks. All by him self out there in the dark, fearing no evil.
I too will encourage the rest of you "regulars" to take the opportunity to thank, or at least comment on Willy. Particularly after the battle he's been fighting here the last few weeks. up

DarkSkies

posted 11/04/2013 04:06 PM  

^^Plumber, thank you for your comments..
I know he takes the negativity in stride....
like water off a duck's back....
He is a tough old basstid....surprise

There are lots of crabby old men right now, who can give you the real deal about the state of the striped bass fishery...I'm fortunate to know quite a few of them.....

And it's at least somewhat accurate that I call him a crabby old man....I was talking to him about this, and he told me not to worry, no big deal....he's one tough SOB!....they don't make them like that anymore...up

I had this idea a few weeks ago, and didn't act on it...but with all the negativity we are seeing in some of these threads...though it was about time for some positive comments.....

And also realized that some of the new members, may never have heard of Willy....or the mountain of work, he has put in, to fight for fishing access....for surf fishermen,. and how he has fought for ALL fishermen.....

This post edited by DarkSkies 04:13 PM 11/04/2013

DarkSkies

posted 11/04/2013 04:10 PM  

So with all due respect...we know he's a crabby cantankerous basstid...Toungue

Sometimes on the internet 100 people want to say something, but don't.....
I thought this thread, would be a good place, for all those who want to say something nice about him...or show support, simply saying "thanks" for fighting the fights that many of us are too busy or don't want to get involved in.......

Good start so far guys.....
lets try to keep the positivity going....up

Ss5hb

posted 11/04/2013 04:14 PM  

Re: Willy Young

I can't believe that people have the time and inclination to rip other fisherman apart. We are all sportsman and therefore fair play should be paramount. I met Willy many years ago, and was impressed by him. I felt he was a gentleman and a great advocate for the betterment of surf fishing. Diversity in attitude and views are what makes the world go round. I joined The MSCA because of Willy's drive and determination. I am not a very active member because my work will not allow me to be. I choose to spend my free time fishing instead. I don't think Willy even knows who I am, but I respect him anyway. I think us fishermen should spend our time fishing instead of talking crap about each other. Lighten up Guys life is too short. There are plenty of fish out there to use up your free time on.

Jellman

posted 11/04/2013 04:24 PM  

DarkSkies wrote:

I don't know how many of yas have ever met Willy Young...
He's not very tall....
not very big....
He has been described as crabby, cantankerous.,.....obstinate,,,,,single minded, determined.....
Stubborn....

I'm one of the retired fortunate ones who get to spend a lot of time on the beach.I can tell all of you, that not a single day goes by where the topic of where we would be today without Willy Young's efforts on our behalf.Most of us for various reasons shy away from this site,but our internet silence doesn't mean we aren't paying attention and don't care.Thank you Willy Young for all the efforts you make on our behalf.I don't know where we would be without you.

MSA 392
LIBBA 2077
NYCRF

TonySMJC

posted 11/04/2013 04:31 PM  

I don't think anyone

Hates Mr Young

some may not understand or agree with his positions or motives but No one Hates him

I don't think you will find anyone that disagrees with the statement that he is an advocate for Surf fishermen and I will leave it at that

Take a kid fishing they are the future of our sport and our world

Smokey555

posted 11/04/2013 04:32 PM  

Keep fighting the good fight old man

I don't know him but am aware of his works.
I like that he fights for what he believes In
There is something to be said for that .
I also agree with him on a lot of the bass related
Issues . Maybe not on some of the surfer stuff but
Whatever . He can't touch the places I surf lol!!

So this where you work turtle? Only when da surfs bad Barney . Cause when da surfs good NOBODY works

Bomb hills not countries
Striped bass make it a gamefish

DarkSkies

posted 11/04/2013 04:40 PM  

Smokey555 wrote:

I don't know him but am aware of his works.
I like that he fights for what he believes In
There is something to be said for that .
I also agree with him on a lot of the bass related
Issues . Maybe not on some of the surfer stuff but
Whatever . He can't touch the places I surf lol
!!

Smokey, thanks for sharing that.
Willy's battles with the Montauk surfers are legendary. surprise

Have not had the chance to follow those threads but I have heard about them.
Honestly, if I just surfed and didn't fish, I might have issues with Willy as well...but it is what it is.....
There are no shades of grey with Willy...he grew up in an era when everything was in black or white, right or wrong....

..I think at times it's fair to say he is unwilling to compromise on the principles he stands for.....and we know, in today's world, that an unwillingness to compromise can eventually go against us.....

Beyond that, and recognizing the battles you two groups have had...you still came on here and said some positive things.

Much respect for being able to do that Smokey....up
Best of luck for the rest of the season to ya. up

This post edited by DarkSkies 04:47 PM 11/04/2013

Gotaway

posted 11/04/2013 09:16 PM  

DarkSkies wrote:

Along the way, he has made a few enemies,,,,looking at some of the posts and threads here...it's apparent some hate him with a passion,.....

But in looking over these hateful posts...what seems most clear, to me, is that these haters are those out there who are afraid of Willy, and what he has done to improve things for those who fish the surf, and all anglers overall.........

So rather than pointing out the obvious, and the legislative things he has done over the course of fishing over 50 years.......

I thought some of ya's out there....
who are sick of the negativity being spewed about him in some other threads....

1. might want to talk about your experience regarding him and fishing....

2. or Willy and surf fishing since this is the surf fishing forum....

3. Did you ever meet him?
(I have, several times, the first being quite a few years ago.....will come back to talk about it when I have some more time)

4. What was your impression of this Crabby Old Man? Toungue

5. Did he help you, or give you some helpful advice on life or Surf Fishing?

Share it with us here....it's about time to counter what some of the negative nellies are saying.....

**And maybe the new members, know nothing about him, or who he really is..might learn some things....
(besides the Crabby Old Man who we see on the internet....Smile)

I was hoping some of ya's might want to share some of your positive interactions with Willy RE surf Fishing, and show some support for him here....so we can give the newer members, a better picture of who he really is, and what he has meant to the world of surf fishing....

AND fishing for ALL of us...

Thanks for reading......up

Thanks for taking the time to write it up

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.