Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Informal Consensus

Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 06/20/2013 11:05 AM  

I went fishing with a good friend again yesterday, early evening through sunset and into dark. Location was somewhere between FI and Jones, a beach we've both fished many, many times, particularly this time of year. There were a few other fishermen scattered along the entire stretch of beach. Fished the whole outgoing. Beautiful conditions, clean water, nice bar structure stretching in either direction with several cuts. Nice deep water in the trough, south wind, no weed, basically perfect conditions. We were fishing chunked bunker.

We worked a fairly large stretch of the beach covering at least 3 cuts and tried every trick in the book. Out and in, head in the wash, quick changes of bunker, everything. Not one fish (other than an out-sized robin), not one.

As we wrapped up the night and were walking off, my friend says to me "If 10 years ago you told me that under these conditions, at this time of year, that I wouldn't catch at least a couple fish, I'd say you're f'ing nuts. This is very disturbing."

And while his sentiment is not based solely on this one night, as is mine also, I had to agree with him. So I'll preface myself here by saying what most of you have already heard me say before. I think the bass stocks are in trouble, more trouble than people realize. Granted, my personal observations don't count as research or data, and neither does my friends. It's just based on something we've both seen before and lived through before.

So do me a favor and take a moment to tell me how your bass fishing season has gone so far this year. How does it compare to last year, 5 years ago, 10 years ago. What's been the same and more importantly, what's different. What observations about bait have you made. Anything you think is notable or interesting. Boat guys are welcome in this one also. Thanks.up

Check out my weekly blog at Stripers247 View from the beach
Drive your car like your life depends on it.

This post edited by RichTrox 11:09 AM 06/20/2013

likeitreallyis

posted 06/20/2013 11:19 AM  

.. I think things are going to pick up again now that the rain has stopped and the water is starting to clear up.

Visibility from a divers point of view has been as bad as I ever seen.

Season started ok then died out quickly with lack of action in the bays in my opinion due to the excessive almost record runoff we have had to endure.

I think we are turning a corner and catches should pick up this week.

What I've personally noticed is a lack of bunker and spearing inshore, but a good showing of sandeels that we didn't see in previous years.

Overall I'd say slower than the last few years. Bluefish came in hard and heavy but seemed to move offshore with the runoff as well and have been hard to come by.

A few days like this rain free and the fish will start coming back inshore in think.

One thing I have noticed though is the Fluke fishing from shore has been off the charts. Big ones.

..and a record breaking showing of those rocking robins , they seem to be everywhere.

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

ag3
Noreast.com Club Member

Posted Reports
LI Sound Fishing

posted 06/20/2013 11:23 AM  

This year has been very good in the Western LI Sound for me.
Top 3 year since I started fishing it in 2000 on a consistent basis.

Lots of people I talk to all say the south shore is a lot slower then usual. Both boat guys and surf guys.

Reason I think is that it was a pretty cold spring with alot of rain and late season March snows and the bunker/bass traveled through the warmest possible waters of the sound instead of the colder waters of the ocean. We had an excellent run of initial fish from April 15-30th in the sound and then a very good run from mid May until now.

But I believe the Ocean standard bass run will occur. But 2-3 weeks later then usual. Just look at the Orient Point bite. While there are bass there, it's nowhere near as good as it should be yet, compared to the past 3-4 years.
But I believe that bite will go into full swing very soon and there will be a very strong July bite (based on what I saw in the sound).

This post edited by ag3 11:24 AM 06/20/2013

likeitreallyis

posted 06/20/2013 11:30 AM  

.. Al, I think in the west you see the Hudson Bass which have been very thick and healthy. Agreed.

Unfortunately way out here I think the majority are Chesapeakes which have their issues.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but yes seemed Jamaica bay and points west had/have alot of fish.

Just need to convince some of them to summer in the Hamptons Toungue

Green Grass and High Tides forever,,,

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 06/20/2013 11:40 AM  

From the guys I know who fish j-bay and the rockaways, they say it's also an off year and nothing like it was 7-10 years ago.

ag3
Noreast.com Club Member

Posted Reports
LI Sound Fishing

posted 06/20/2013 11:46 AM  

likeitreallyis wrote:

.. Al, I think in the west you see the Hudson Bass which have been very thick and healthy. Agreed.

Unfortunately way out here I think the majority are Chesapeakes which have their issues.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but yes seemed Jamaica bay and points west had/have alot of fish.

Just need to convince some of them to summer in the Hamptons Toungue

Good point.
But I agree with Rich. From the people I talk to in Jamaica Bay and that area, all of them agree the fishing is slower then usual this year. And a couple of them are guys that go out everyday (charter boats).

Blackfish72

posted 06/20/2013 11:47 AM  

Western sound for me has been hit and miss. Lots of big bluefish in May and Early June. Bass seem to be hit and miss. Just wonder what the full moon will do to the bite?

twinscrew

posted 06/20/2013 12:24 PM  

Spring run was decent in the ocean (NY Bight). Nothing like the fishing we had two years ago though. Didn't have many days that I would consider stupid fishing. Early on we had fish on clams then the jig fish came through. Considering the cool spring we had I thought it would be better & last longer. Still fish around. The night bite on worms/eels has been OK when you get good drifting conditions. I don't fish much from the beach but I walk the beach a lot. Seemed to me I saw more fish caught from the beach in J-Bay this year than usual. There's still a good amount of bunker in the bay, was watching a pod get hit just yesterday afternoon very close to shore. There was no one fishing them. Can't say what's been going on on the ocean side. We have very limited access this year on the ocean side with Ft. Tilden being closed & limited access to Breezy.

striperguy5

posted 06/20/2013 12:31 PM  

I've had a banner year so far for bass from the season opening till about a week ago. Early in the season there were lots of baby bass around from 8 inches to 24 inches plus lots of keeper size. I Started fishing some new spots and different tides and it seemed to really pay off. The bait patterns have been pretty much the same as the last couple of years so far. Early run of herring followed by squid ,bunker and sardines. I'm curious to see if the spot will be around this year in the #s they were last year. This year has been way colder than last year so far. The fish I didn't see this year in crazy #s was blue fish they were around but just not the ridiculous #s of them like last year.

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 06/20/2013 12:34 PM  

Several boat guys I know, who hang there late spring hat on the bunker going east off the beaches have all observed that each of the last several years that they've had to work harder to find pods holding good fish. They usually do, but they all claim that it's more work, more gas, more running around. Like you said Steve, no stupid fishing like we've had. Good stuff so far gentlemen, thank you and keep it coming.up

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 06/20/2013 12:49 PM  

Just did something I normally don't do, even though I approve some of the surf reports (I'm 1 of 4 who do) and checked the report section, mostly the boat reports. Weird, even the verbiage has changed. One party boat crowed about a "successful" night of fishing with 5 keepers. 5 keepers is a successful night LOL.

I just noticed Walter on the Fishfinder is alternating nights between seabass and striped bass, and Walter loves catching striped bass. I know Walter from back when he used to fish the bridges LOL, so if he's not going after them every night, what does that tell you.Wink

The reports sure don't seem to be filled with the thrilling stories of massive catches like they used to. Anybody else notice this?

pequa1

posted 06/20/2013 12:50 PM  

Have kayaked South Oyster Bay a half dozen times, no surfcasting, although my buddy and other friends did just fine in early May around Long Beach, although of the 30 or so striped bass I think the three of them had but 2 or 3 keepers. What alarms me based on my kayaking in Massapequa, is virtually no baitfish visible in the water. On my sit on top, the water is still a bit chilly when I head into the wind and the spray hits me, at least for this time of year, so hopefully it will improve as summer comes along. I thought I spotted a few bunker a few days ago in the canal, but nothing else.

bringing home venison is now as easy as a bay-caught keeper fluke !

betwixt FI and JI

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 06/20/2013 12:55 PM  

striperguy5 wrote:

I'm curious to see if the spot will be around this year in the #s they were last year. This year has been way colder than last year so far. The fish I didn't see this year in crazy #s was blue fish they were around but just not the ridiculous #s of them like last year.

Spot are typically around every year, just people don't normally fish for them. They became the hot bait last year, just like kingfish were one year, porgies another. Bass basically eat everything and anything LOL.

I didn't even mention bluefish, who are conspicuous by their absense. Other than the short-lived burst in May (typical) they've vanished also. Usually they are a pest while chunking this time of year. Haven't hooked one on the open beach recently.

This is getting interesting, keep it coming.up

RichTrox
Noreast.com Club Member

Surf Fishing Forum
Posted Reports
User Video Comments
Blogs

posted 06/20/2013 01:00 PM  

pequa1 wrote:

What alarms me based on my kayaking in Massapequa, is virtually no baitfish visible in the water.

Interesting Art because I noticed the same thing. You have an idea of my early locales and there was nothing bait-wise (and fish-wise, no surprise) there. No grass shrimp, and I mean none, no small YOY white bait, nothing but water.

Makes me wonder whether Sandy washed out all the eggs, etc out of the bay last fall. Certainly seems to be the smoking gun as far as deep bay bait loss is concerned.

This post edited by RichTrox 01:00 PM 06/20/2013

ag3
Noreast.com Club Member

Posted Reports
LI Sound Fishing

posted 06/20/2013 01:00 PM  

Blackfish72 wrote:

Western sound for me has been hit and miss. Lots of big bluefish in May and Early June. Bass seem to be hit and miss. Just wonder what the full moon will do to the bite?

Ton of bass are around but more on pieces and structure and not out in the middle on schools as much as previous years.

For me, this year is the best year since 2009 in the western sound.

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.