Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Need some advice regarding Saltiga sa20

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
fjuno78

posted 09/23/2013 12:51 PM  

Hey guys,

I have been eyeing this reel for a long time, and I just scored a deal on a new one that I could not pass up.

I picked this up mainly for tog, but I would probably use it on alot of inshore stuff.

I have been reading about these saltigas for a while and see that alot of folks upgrade the drags to carbontex. If anyone has done the upgrade, I would appreciate feedback. Also, what other upgrades are suggested? Bearings etc....

If you have had this done, please give me your feedback along with who did your work.

Thanks

DarthBaiter

posted 09/23/2013 01:01 PM  

I've had mine since it's launch.

The drag is fine for togs stripers and fluke.

Maybe a bigger handle from JignPop.com

I did switch out my drags on the 30, 40 and the 50. I got the drags from smoothdrag.com and switched em out my self, or you can PM tunatoys here, or alan at alantani.com.

Support your local Mom n Pop stores.

Lottadawg

posted 09/23/2013 01:28 PM  

I love my Saltigas, but I wasn't crazy about the stock drag. I installed the greased Carbontex drag washers and noticed a difference. I haven't found a need to replace bearings, but they're easy to maintain, too. Alan Tani's website is a huge resource and shows you exactly how to do everything you'd ever want to do to it.

It's getting harder to find the 20 now, so you're lucky to find a deal on one.

Savvy18

posted 10/06/2013 10:15 PM  

The Saltiga 20 is a BEAST of a reel...

However, using it for fluke is like using a sledgehammer to swat flies!Fingerdownsurprise

"I FISH FOR FUN...WHEN IT 'AINT FUN, I WON'T FISH"

reelcranky

posted 10/24/2013 12:12 PM  

fjuno78 wrote:

Hey guys,

I have been eyeing this reel for a long time, and I just scored a deal on a new one that I could not pass up.

I picked this up mainly for tog, but I would probably use it on alot of inshore stuff.

I have been reading about these saltigas for a while and see that alot of folks upgrade the drags to carbontex. If anyone has done the upgrade, I would appreciate feedback. Also, what other upgrades are suggested? Bearings etc....

If you have had this done, please give me your feedback along with who did your work.

How much did u pay for your 20? I am in the market for 1.

Thanks

"Live by the tide, plan by the current, and follow the fish!"

Leprechaun
Noreast.com Club Member

Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep
Fishing Rods
Posted Reports

posted 10/24/2013 01:33 PM  

No upgrades are REALLY necessary to fish that reel. As was suggested further up this thread, a set of Smoothdrag CarbonTex washers couldn't hurt, but are not critical to this reel's inshore performance. A thin, THIN fingertip's rubbing of Cal's or Shimano's drag grease helps smooth out the drag's start-up and overall performance, at a slight loss of total drag pressure.

Its a 5 minute job to do the drags - 20 to 30 minutes minutes for a complete breakdown, de-greasing and re-lubing with the proper greases and oils.

Lep

"Hi, my name is Pete and I have a fishing gear problem."

Discussion Boards > Inshore Tackle and Techniques with Lep  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.