Username:
Password:
Get Account    
Login
         Home  |  Magazine  |  Reports  |  Discussion  |  Photos  |  Tides  |  Weather  |  Community  |  Updates  |  Fishing Info  |  Contact

HomeSearchTop PostersToday's Active Topics

Proper Presentation of SuperStrike Needle Fish

Page  1, 2  Next

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum
skyhook

posted 07/22/2003 01:01 PM  

While I have caught a fish or two on the SuperStrike Needle fish, I am not confident in its use since I don't know what the proper technique for working the sucker through the suds. While it casts like a rocket, a simple slow retreive that is applies to a lipped swimmer does not seem to put any real action on it. Needle Fish experts...help me out here!! How do you get sex appeal out of that thing??

Thanks

ShyHook

Blackbeard

posted 07/22/2003 06:18 PM  

Skyhook,
I am far from an expert. July 7th I was casting the SS Needlefish and walking down the beach, cranking very slowly when a 32" Weakie jumped on. Man I was a believer of the Needlefish from that point on. The needlefish is very deceiving because it offers very little drag, which is why it is so good in flight also. I just ordered a second SS Needlefish "Bullet", which is smaller/fatter, and flys even further.
Super Strike is my favorite lure and the Needlefish has enough sex appeal for me! I guess, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, especially when your eyes are big yellow ones!!!!
Steve

Jaiem
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 07/22/2003 10:02 PM  

I haven't used them too often but when I have I tend to use a rather quick retrieve while keeping the rod tip high. This causes the plug to make a V-wake on the surface. Naturally I'm fishing shallow water so a bass is likely to see it above and rise for it. Can't say if this is a prefered method, but it has worked for me. I know guys do use them in deeper and faster waters with very good success.

Look forward to reading the other methods casters use.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

Democracy is NOT two wolves and chicken deciding what's for dinner.

gebby

posted 07/23/2003 04:22 AM  

bill wetzel is the needlefish guru. he should be answering this when he sees it.

Now, you've got a corpse in a car, minus a head, in a garage. Take me to it.

raregroove

posted 07/23/2003 10:25 AM  

Colors and size?

Interesting discussion as I see more people seem to be using them. Was wondering what colors you are using for time of day. My quess is black/purple for night, yellow for dawn/dusk, white for daytime. What about size? The 1 1/2 oz seem a little light, but is that what you guys find effective? I've been looking for a nice olive/white combo but can't seem to find em.

Blackbeard

posted 07/25/2003 06:38 AM  

Raregroove,
Super strike has a green top, white belly and pink chin model, which I think is good whenever you want to go with the needlefish. Also have an all black that I gave a blue belly with some testors paint as an experiment. No hits on that one yet, but fishing is a little slow now. If your looking for more distance try the "Bullet" model, The surfcaster carries them and they fly real nice.
Steve

raregroove

posted 07/28/2003 01:53 AM  

SuperStrike needlefish

Blackbeard,

Thanks for the heads up. Just tried out the superstrike and you're right, it casts a ton! Not sure of what color for the stubby ones as they don't have an olive with white belly, just chartreuse, white, or blue.

Can't wait to use it in the fall.

skyhook

posted 07/28/2003 01:31 PM  

Back to Presentation

Thanks for your input all, but my question is on presentation not the color of the needle fish. I'm willing to bet that if a valid statistical study could be done, we would all find out that color (aside from light or dark shading) has little to do with the fish catching ability of a lure. With that said, we all have grown to favor one pattern over another.

Anyone of you pros got some further suggestions on the proper presentations of the needle fish? To help guide your answers, I fish mostly at night on North Shore Beaches generally in rocky areas. Is the needle fish more for rough surf conditions? Thanks again!

raregroove

posted 07/28/2003 02:06 PM  

Sorry bout that Skyhook, didn't mean to jack your thread.

mattyblazer
Noreast.com Club Member

posted 07/28/2003 05:30 PM  

Wheres Bill?

-Matt
http://community.webshots.com/user/mattyblazer

NoEQL

posted 07/28/2003 06:43 PM  

Ah,north shore! The land of the velcro bottom! Everything sticks to it. I use a Gibbs floating model there with some success. I'll be honest and tell you I reserve it for the NW wind in your face nights. Sorry but bombers work too good to try much else.
I tie it up with a Red Gill teaser and work it very slow on top with light jerks. Leaves a nice "V" on top darting slightly side to side. If you go with the Super strike I think it sinks too fast for the "Sticky" North Shore and will get hung up sooner or later.In order not to get stuck you are forced into retrieving too fast for the bass to bother most of the time.
I do use Super strikes on the south shore and here I'll base my retrieve speed on the water column I want to work. The slower the deeper. At any speed light jerks help it shoot side to side. Unfortunitly again I mainly use it to punch through the wind when I think Bass are on smaller bait. If you go to Gibbs site they list all their plugs and recommend how they should be fished. I'll take a shot and say it's Gibbslures.com
Hope this helped.

Hank
 L.I.B.B.A #1838
 M.S.A #905

NoEQL

posted 07/28/2003 06:46 PM  

By the way....yellow with white belly, red chin and bucktail single hook at the stern! 3x treble up front. My 2cents.

Hank
 L.I.B.B.A #1838
 M.S.A #905

loonzter

posted 08/01/2003 02:40 AM  

I thought with a needle fish you had to work the rod to make the lure dance, Get that whipping motion to let the lure flop back and forth on the water making a little commotion?

JoeLyons

posted 08/01/2003 08:33 AM  

Great lure....
You may not think it is doing anything special but that is because you are human.
But to a fish, it looks like an easy, slow moving meal.
I impart a variety of actions and speeds until I find one that produces strikes. Needles are big fish lures.

Blackbeard

posted 08/01/2003 08:55 AM  

Loontzer,
When I need a racquet I go with the Poppers or my Roberts (Bounder). The Needle is my stealth plug.
Have fun!
Steve

Discussion Boards > Surf Fishing Forum Page  1, 2  Next  
Jump to:  

2020 Noreast Media, LLC.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.